PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on a hardtail?

Bob
09-24-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm just curious. I know Todd is planning on building one and now that we started selling Kraft/Tech I've been thinking it might be a fun build down the road and fun bike to mess around town on.

RedneckMedic
09-24-2009, 10:43 PM
i switched out the shocks on my shadow for some struts so now it is a hard tail just not a true hard tail frame but honestly even on our roads around here the ride isnt that bad the only time it hurts is a real big bump or a lot of little ones in a row. i am thinking about ordering a rear hardtail section from ardcore choppers though

Gas Man
09-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Why hard tail? In michigan seriously? I ride with a couple hard tails... they are always the ones standing at the bar. LOL

And why strut out a soft tail. Still looks like a soft tail so benifit is what?

telecast
09-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Why hard tail? In michigan seriously? I ride with a couple hard tails... they are always the ones standing at the bar. LOL

+1

You can get 'softail' chopper frames with springs on the rear axle. The look is the same but they ride better (not much, but a little). I wouldn't be caught dead on a rigid frame around here. It'd be fun to have a chop, but how much would I ride it?

rugby, you're a young man and your body can take a lot of abuse. Just remember the things you do now will come back to bite you in the ass later, and I don't mean a lot later. 40 probably sounds like a long ways off, it isn't. Do yourself a favor and get some nice chrome shocks for that bike. It'll look the same but your spine won't have to compress every time you hit a bump.

I still live with intermittent back pain due to a bike incident when I lived in Tejas. That's when I was about 18, I'm 51 now. 33 years of dealing with it from the most simple, stupid thing.

Gas Man
09-25-2009, 10:18 AM
More specifically some chrome progressive shocks!

Bob
09-25-2009, 01:18 PM

+1

You can get 'softail' chopper frames with springs on the rear axle. The look is the same but they ride better (not much, but a little). I wouldn't be caught dead on a rigid frame around here. It'd be fun to have a chop, but how much would I ride it?

rugby, you're a young man and your body can take a lot of abuse. Just remember the things you do now will come back to bite you in the ass later, and I don't mean a lot later. 40 probably sounds like a long ways off, it isn't. Do yourself a favor and get some nice chrome shocks for that bike. It'll look the same but your spine won't have to compress every time you hit a bump.

I still live with intermittent back pain due to a bike incident when I lived in Tejas. That's when I was about 18, I'm 51 now. 33 years of dealing with it from the most simple, stupid thing.

That's cause you two are cushiony HD yuppies now!
I kid!

Honestly, from the hard frame owners I'm talking to, if you got a spring seat it's as nice a ride as something with rear shocks.

telecast
09-25-2009, 01:33 PM
If you go old-school and put on a spring seat it won't be too bad. Just stay away from the hard mounted seats.

Ooooo....and put a girder front end on it, screw them springers!

Anyway, what would you expect them to say? Ask if you can ride one for an hour and form your own conclusion.

RedneckMedic
09-25-2009, 06:52 PM
its really not that bad and i put the struts cuz it lowered it about 3 in and when i add the 200 rear tire to it if i just went with the lowering kit i would be bottoming out. i still have the chrome shocks that came with it i just like the way it looks this way. ive done about 250 miles with them on in a day and it wasn't bad at all. i know my body is already going to be messed up so i just say the hell with it.

zamochit
09-25-2009, 10:41 PM
Hmmm.. I was going to build a hardtail, but thats some good advice. I will keep that in mind.

My thoughts were that I wouldn't ride the bike much, more of a weekend warrior. I planned to buy something more comfy and with an extra seat for the wife when I planned to go out for a longer cruise. To me the hardtail was going to be more show and go, kinda like a built hotrod. Take it to a show here or there or just around town.

RedneckMedic
09-30-2009, 04:06 PM
my grandpa came over today to take my bike out for a ride so he could get some practice in because he is renting one from motorcity harley next week and we are going for another ride together...but when he got back he hit me and asked what the hell did i do to the bike because he hasnt it rode it in about 3 months and i guess i forgot to mention the lack of shocks on it and he obviously didnt like it. just thought i would throw that in here

telecast
09-30-2009, 07:08 PM
my grandpa came over today to take my bike out for a ride...when he got back he hit me

Because he's a wise man!

and asked what the hell did i do to the bike...i forgot to mention the lack of shocks on it and he obviously didnt like it.

See? Wise!:p

Bob
10-01-2009, 09:37 PM
my grandpa came over today to take my bike out for a ride so he could get some practice in because he is renting one from motorcity harley next week and we are going for another ride together...but when he got back he hit me and asked what the hell did i do to the bike because he hasnt it rode it in about 3 months and i guess i forgot to mention the lack of shocks on it and he obviously didnt like it. just thought i would throw that in here

If you put a spring seat on though I think it would be much better.

Gas Man
10-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Tele is right. Wisdome comes with age.

Bob is also right... spring seats are cool.

zamochit
10-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Getting the airide for mine, and hoping to pick it up this week to start on.

ziek
10-28-2009, 03:20 PM
I have a hardtail and a springer is the way to go or at least gel padding. I'm trying to get one without dropping $200 on a seat. Gibralter trade center here I come. Lol
Swap meet nov.14-15

Gas Man
11-01-2009, 12:00 PM
check with scott.

www.badassbikeseats.com (http://www.badassbikeseats.com)

Tell him I sent ya.

Juan Carlos
11-01-2009, 03:31 PM
My daily rider is a rigid & we ride thousands of miles a year. I have a spring seat but setting up the seating position is most important. I'm no spring chicken either

jpswino
11-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Got two rigids.