PDA

View Full Version : A lot of bikes these days

telecast
09-22-2009, 08:13 AM
WARNING! Geezer Content!

I see so many bikes on the road these days it's astounding. When I was a kid riding you didn't see all that many. I mean, it wasn't rare to see one, but not like it is now.

And we RARELY saluted one another in passing. It was mostly reserved for another bike the same make and model as yours, never between a street bike and scrambler (dating myself) or enduro. When we did salute it was a raised fist, 'power to the people' type thing. Like signaling for a right turn with your fist clenched.

What changed? Baby boomers growing up and going through their midlife crisis? Gas prices? More disposable income through the 90's?

And when did the wave become so popular?

vortech302
09-22-2009, 09:58 AM
I haven't been riding that long, but I think you nailed it, alot of disposable income and easy credit/mid life crisis/and recently the gas prices.

Now that I've been riding for a couple years, I honestly look at bikers as people that are essentially riding adult bicycles in the street, like kids that didn't completely grow up. So I wave to acknowledge that, cause I feel like that little kid that wouldn't stay on the sidewalk every time I ride.

Gas Man
09-22-2009, 12:02 PM
Good point Tele. I think people realized that comfort itself is cool. I know I'm only 30 and LOVE my new gizer glide.