PDA

View Full Version : What the hell is that? or (Bob, have you been messing with my bike?)

telecast
09-19-2009, 07:28 PM
Just got back from a nice ride with Fishman and our wives. Hit the western loop, but made a few changes. On the way back we picked up Huron River Drive in Dexter with the plan to take it to the north side of Ann Arbor. The road was closed at Maple, so we diverted. Next thing I know wer'e getting on M-14, first time I had it on the highway. Man, the bike didn't care, it just freakin' cruised. What a rush! I hated taking the Sporty on the E-way with my wife on the back, this was a whole different animal.

Anyway, we got off and stopped to chat for a second before we parted ways, and I heard something rattling. (here's the Bob part!) My front fender was loose as hell. The bolts had backed themselves out on the left side. I threaded them back in and we took off, but I had to stop at an Autozone and buy a 1/2" wrench or we wouldn't have made it. Time to put a toolkit on the bike.

Two of the bolts have those little tabbed washers, the kind where you bend up the ears to stop the bolt from backing out. The other two don't. I suspect someone had the front fender off (Bob?) and didn't put them all back. So that'll be my next small but necessary project.

Also, a question for you FLH guys. When we stopped Fishman noticed an oil spot under the bike, on the right side just back of the floorboard. Never leaked before. I checked again once we got home, and no oil. I suspect a crankcase breather, maybe blowing off oil from the highway run? Anyone know if there's a breather that can drop oil under the bike?

Bob
09-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Sounds like the dealer did not assemble the bike correctly. I'd let them know about it. What HD dealer did you buy from?

Bob
09-19-2009, 08:29 PM
p.s. If you lose the rear fender buy mine and we'll make it fit!

telecast
09-19-2009, 09:47 PM
It was used, an '07. Of all the things I checked, the front fender wasn't even on the radar!

telecast
09-20-2009, 08:16 AM
Well, no oil this morning, so it has to be related to the short run on the highway. Time to do some investigatin'!

Gas Man
09-20-2009, 10:12 AM
Yeah, either get those tab washers or some good loctite. Remember, only loctite the bolts you want to keep.

As far as oil. Were you running the beast hard? High revs? That is when the breather spits. Check the breather routing. If its stock it should be into the air cleaner. Check the bottom of that for excessive oil dripping. I have seen this many times on evo motors but I have yet to witness it on my TC96 and I let her drink when ever she wants.

telecast
09-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Not really hi-revs, just highway miles. It may be coming from the clutch cable, I'm going to look into it a little deeper.

Got the fender taken care of this morning. Whoever worked on it wasn't paying attention. There are four bolts and washers and a couple of thin metal plates that span the bolts. The plates have tabs on them to bend onto the flats of the bolt and stop them from backing out. Proper installation order is bolt>plate>washer>fender>fork.

On one of them the washer was missing. On another the washer was between the bolt and the plate, which made the tabs too short to be effective.

There was one installed properly with the tabs bent so I left that one alone. The calipers are right there and it takes some acrobatics to get to them. On the others I bent the tabs back, removed the bolts, put a drop of loktite on them and reinstalled in the correct order, then made sure the tabs were bent tight to the bolt. Hopefully that little episode won't repeat itself. If it ever does I'll have to get new plates, they probably won't take another bending.

Gas Man
09-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Yep I have dealt with those tab plates many times.