PDA

View Full Version : Air filter...Wow....

telecast
09-06-2009, 12:57 PM
I decided to pull out the wrenches and do some routine stuff this morning. The bike has been balking a bit on take off, and I really hadn't checked anything but the tire pressure and rear axle allignment since I bought it.

I stopped by the HD dealer and picked up a belt tension gauge the other day after discovering the axle was 1/8" out of allignment. Adjusting it made a difference on the highway.

I suspected the balking may be caused by the accelerator pump not operating properly, but it's fine. Checked the plugs, both are burning clean. One of them had the gap a bit tight.

Next, the enricher (choke) cable has been slipping since I bought it, so it got an adjustment.

When I pulled the air cleaner cover to check it and the acclerator pump, I found...oil. It was all over the interior of the housing and on the element. I wiped it down and checked for any leaks, nadda. It can't be burning oil because the plugs are too clean. I tried to clean the element using Harley's recommendation of warm soapy water. Yeah, right. You couldn't even feel air coming through it after cleaning, so out came the gas. A good soaking and some agitation, then a follow up with warm soapy water and a rinse and it looks good as new. Now air passes through easily. Just got to get it dry before it goes back on.

The guy who sold me the bike said the rocker box gasets were leaking pretty badly. He installed an entire new gasket kit and there are no leaks. The only thing I can figure is he didn't clean the filter after doing the gaskets and the oils is residual. Time will tell, but with no visible leaks and the plugs being in such good condition I'm hopiing that's all it is. Maybe this'll fix the balking problem too.

telecast
09-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Well, it's still balking a bit. Not as bad, but it's there. Before it'd come close to stalling if I wasn't careful. Not as bad now but will still lose power.

But the bike feels a lot different on the highway. It used to sound like it was laboring, now it's running with a lot less effort.

I'm going to try some Sea Foam additive, I've been told it'll clean the entire system. Evidently you can use this stuff in your fuel, oil, or air system. Anyone here ever try it? If that doesn't work then it'll need a tune up. Not sure what else to check.

Gas Man
09-07-2009, 01:55 AM
Seafoam is great! I can't believe I didn't post this before. WOW. Copied it over from my other forums...

http://www.2wheelmichigan.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5838#post5838

Run that shit in your gas and see how it goes.

As far as the oil on the air filter, that is part of the breather system. Your motor will create excess psi on the top end, and it has to go somewhere. EPA says you can't expell that to the ground (how my chop was after I did my thing) so they re-enter the psi that carries some oil mist back into the air cleaner to reburn. Think pcv valve on a car motor. The more you romp on the motor the more it will breath into the air cleaner. By design.

Bob
09-07-2009, 10:21 AM
You sure the oil was not from a K&N filter?

telecast
09-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Chris: GREAT info on the oil, I feel much better.

Bob: Nope, it's a standard HD filter.