PDA

View Full Version : What sort of events?

Bob
09-02-2009, 11:43 PM
What sort of stuff would you like to see me try and set up for the members for next year?

vortech302
09-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Bake Sale? I'd just like to get out more whether we meet in a parking lot and hang out. But a poker run sounds like a good time.

Bob
09-03-2009, 12:58 PM
Bake Sale? I'd just like to get out more whether we meet in a parking lot and hang out. But a poker run sounds like a good time.

:confused: LOL

Same here. I'm thinking of just like maybe a weekly meet spot in the area and maybe a bbq in the summer.

telecast
09-03-2009, 03:31 PM
Event? We can't even seem to get together for a ride. How about a "Screw everything else and let's go for a freakin' ride" event?

Bob
09-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Event? We can't even seem to get together for a ride. How about a "Screw everything else and let's go for a freakin' ride" event?

i think that's just because it's a small site and the majority of us seem to have a ton going on with our lives right now is all. I have a baby on the way, I know Chris works a ton, I know Shawn and Berto both have a bunch going on right now. I think it's just bad timing. Next year we'll all be back on track. ;)

Berto
09-03-2009, 10:51 PM
Rides... maybe weekly or bi-monthly

also maybe a music jam session/little concert... I'm into music.

telecast
09-03-2009, 11:44 PM
Rides... maybe weekly or bi-monthly

How about bi-monthly rides? They'd be open rides, anyone is invited, even our non-registered guests. Forum members take turns as road captains setting up the route and meeting spot. That way everyone gets to have one in their own area.

telecast
09-03-2009, 11:46 PM
Oh yeah, I'm open for a jam session.

I'll need some big bungees to get a Marshall stack on my bike...

Berto
09-04-2009, 01:03 PM
I think that's a great idea. We can cycle ride captains and just have some fun rides planned. Let's say each member here, or active member is in charge of two rides for the season. That will cover most of the weekends. Holiday weekends no rides etc.

tele, that would be funny, a Marshall stack on your bike... haha... where will you put the guitar?

We can have winter meets with music and get togethers so people hang out and talk bikes when the weather turns again.

Gas Man
09-05-2009, 12:45 AM
i think that's just because it's a small site and the majority of us seem to have a ton going on with our lives right now is all. I have a baby on the way, I know Chris works a ton, I know Shawn and Berto both have a bunch going on right now. I think it's just bad timing. Next year we'll all be back on track. ;)

I ressemble that statement

Bob
09-05-2009, 11:54 AM
I ressemble that statement

LOL You were probably at work when you posted that!

Gas Man
09-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Actually... um... I was! YIKES!

telecast
09-06-2009, 07:16 PM
How about we get some bikini-clad, almost naked wimmins to do a bike wash?

It'd be ok if no one showed up but us.

In fact, you guys don't need to be there either....

Bob
09-07-2009, 10:22 AM

After going to Biketoberfest I'd prefer to never see a biker chick in a bikini ever again. HAHAHAHAHA

telecast
09-07-2009, 10:41 AM
I was thinking more along the lines of the Swedish Bikini Team.

telecast
09-07-2009, 10:58 AM
On the serious side....

What do you guys think of this:

Bi-weekly or monthly rides as described above. Most of these rides will probably include a stop for lunch, or beer, or whatever. On the ones that do, each rider chips in a $2 attendance fee. At the stop all attendees throw their names in a helmet and we draw one. That guy gets his lunch/beer or whatever paid for. If we get enough we can draw another name for gas $, etc.

Even though Bob may not want it, any $ leftover should go to the site, IMO. Maybe he can put it towards T-shirts or something.

Bob
09-07-2009, 11:16 AM
I'm all for it. I can't promise I'd make everyone but I like the idea. Even if I don't come doesn't mean you guys can't go.

telecast
09-07-2009, 11:17 AM
If there's leftover cash, the road captain for that day can get it to you.

Bob
09-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Oh, I really don't want the cash. The site is so small I don't really need it.

telecast
09-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Just wait! The site will grow, bandwidth will increase. A lot of forums ask for some help from the membership, in some cases it's mandatory. If you don't want the $ for the site, use it to host the BBQ you mentioned earlier, or for shirts, or decals, or patches, or whatever. Heck, put it in the bank and buy me a new bike....

Gas Man
09-07-2009, 01:39 PM
To help run with the idea... the spare money could just go into a pot. Buy food for a BBQ at the end of the year.

telecast
09-07-2009, 02:04 PM
That works. I was thinking that a small 'prize' or giveaway might encourage participation on the rides. We could put it toward a BBQ and just say anyone who rode during the year is eligible to attend.

Bob
10-14-2009, 12:38 AM
Any more ideas feel free to keep them coming.

I'm really liking the idea of a weekly or biweekly meet, for at least the SE Michigan guys. I was thinking maybe Elizabeth Park in Trenton or something like that. Maybe a small meet and then a ride.

RedneckMedic
10-14-2009, 01:02 AM
i think that would be cool as long as we dont go to bishop park....i absolutely hate that places when everyone shows up and starts acting stupid. it ruins everything nice about it so ya i would be down for bi-weekly.

telecast
10-14-2009, 09:06 AM
I'm really liking the idea of a weekly or biweekly meet, for at least the SE Michigan guys. I was thinking maybe Elizabeth Park in Trenton or something like that. Maybe a small meet and then a ride.

I'd much rather see it move around, let people take turns and have it where they want. I can tell you a bi-weekly meet in the same spot, then a ride over what would eventually become the same roads would cause me to lose interest pretty quickly. Probably most others too.

Bob
10-14-2009, 05:22 PM
i think that would be cool as long as we dont go to bishop park....i absolutely hate that places when everyone shows up and starts acting stupid. it ruins everything nice about it so ya i would be down for bi-weekly.

Trust me man. I've hated Bishop Park since I started driving back in 94. LOL

Bob
10-14-2009, 05:23 PM
I'd much rather see it move around, let people take turns and have it where they want. I can tell you a bi-weekly meet in the same spot, then a ride over what would eventually become the same roads would cause me to lose interest pretty quickly. Probably most others too.

If people want to do weekly meets at other places that's cool. This site is state wide so I don't expect everyone to meet at one location. It would just be the location I'd be able to meet is all. I'm sure we'll have meets all over the state eventually.

zamochit
10-17-2009, 11:08 PM
I dig any event with boobs!

Bob
12-07-2009, 11:26 PM
Here is what I'm thinking for 2010 so far.

Right when the weather breaks we do a BBQ meet and greet. No ride or anything just a little get together for people to meet and talk bikes and get to know each other. If people want to ride afterwards by all means ride. I'm not sure how I'll work this BBQ. It will most likely be "bring your own everything". Maybe to show our support to Michigan we could have Dearborn Sausage Hot Dogs and Faygo pop. :)

I'd like to get some ride together so lets start thinking of ride captains and such. I'll be honest, I've never been on many large group rides so any help there would be great. Usually the guys I ride with we just meet in Rockwood and go without any routes planned or anything.

I can already tell you that Weekend mornings will work best for me. This year was a horrible year for riding for me. My best year ever but just not a good riding year. I can not promise 2010 will be a great riding year for me either but it should be much better. Spending time with my family comes first with me.

I'm open to all any any suggestions. If you guys want to get group rides and meet and greets going be my guest. I understand this is a statewide thing I'm doing here and not everyone is going to be able to do things in my area. As we grow and get members all over we'll look at doing stuff in other places, at least that involve me. LOL I just ask that if anyone wants to use the site name they just ask me before doing so please. I don't mean for rides and get togethers and all of that jazz. I just don't want to see "TwoWheelMichigan.com street racing and public roads stuntaz meet up!" ;)

Feel free to chime in with anything.

telecast
12-08-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm not sure how I'll work this BBQ. It will most likely be "bring your own everything".

Either set it up and we'll all pitch in $, or people can volunteer to bring an item. Something expensive, like hot dogs for 25 people, can be split up by 2 or 3 of us. Everyone bringing everything makes no sense.

Rugby can bring the chicken....

TwoWheelMcihigan.com

Hey, you don't own the rights to that name.

Now, if you mean TwoWheelMichigan, then ok. :p

RedneckMedic
12-08-2009, 10:16 AM
ill bring the chicken but i wont eat any of it. fuck that shit been around it too long

Gas Man
12-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Sounds cool.

I think over winter we should setup a meet at a restrauant.

Mikekz
12-08-2009, 12:06 PM
I would like to meet some of you,can you guys come up into my area. I dont know of many people to ride with here in the lansing area. I think maybe 2 rides this year with my neighbor to webberville to Michigan Brewing co. for lunch.They have great food and a large patio that can hold 100 or so.

telecast
12-08-2009, 12:10 PM
Webberville is but a hop, skip, and a jump.

In the summer!

Gas Man
12-09-2009, 02:04 AM
Could run up to Flint area. Good middle ground.

Bar Louies on Miller Rd is AWESOME.

telecast
12-09-2009, 09:31 AM
I'd like to get some ride together so lets start thinking of ride captains and such. I'll be honest, I've never been on many large group rides so any help there would be great. Usually the guys I ride with we just meet in Rockwood and go without any routes planned or anything.

Nothing wrong with gas-n-go, that's the only way we used to do it unless we were riding to some specific event or location. The few rides I put together this year were done on the computer because I could. Back in the day we didn't have all this fancy crap. Here are some things I learned:

Tip 1) The nice thing about setting them up on a computer map is you get to actually see the road. Even on roads I'd never been on, it was easy (almost) to see if they were paved or not by using the satellite view and zooming in. I say 'almost' because I still managed to get us on a couple of stretches of dirt road, one was a few miles long, not sure how I missed it. The other was very short and I can see how I would've missed that. Also, stay the hell off of Exeter Road...good god....

If you're going to set up a ride using a web map, Harley's will sinc to a GPS. You can build the route then download it. Which brings up Tip 2), being a ride leader on a planned route you've never travelled before can be a pain in the ass. You spend a lot of time memorizing the road names and turns before the ride, then while riding you spend a lot of time looking for them. That sucks. I would highly recommend a GPS just to make life easier.

Tip 3) Don't depend on one restaurant, bar, or location as a stopping point if you're not really familiar with it. During Ride 1 the place I had picked didn't open until 2 on Sundays. The next place we tried was closed, the third time was the charm. On Ride 2 I intended to stop in Blissfield for lunch, but the only place that was immediately noticable as we went by was the pub that is part of the Hathaway House, and would've been really expensive. We ended up in Tecumseh for lunch.

Tip 4) There is no such thing as a wrong turn, only a new adventure. That kind of negates Tip 2, but it depends on whether you're dealing with a schedule or not. The two rides we took were late in the season, and not everyone was up for the added cold that comes when the sun goes down that time of the year, so I tried to keep to some kind of route so we knew what time we'd be getting home. The map programs will give you a good idea of how long your drive-time is, just factor in enough time to bullshit and eat. Bullshitting usually ocurrs at the beginning, the end, and in between....

Tip 5) Plan the ride, set your day, and leave it. Don't go ask everyone when they can ride because you'll rarely get a consensus. In the case of these two rides there was no choice, again due to the late time of the year and the inability of our weathermen to accurately forecast. Guys who want to ride will make the ones they can, guys who don't want to ride will never make it, and guys who live for it will be there everytime. That's not going to change regardless of the ride date.

Bob
12-09-2009, 09:38 PM
Sounds cool.

I think over winter we should setup a meet at a restrauant.

Yeah, that would be a good idea.

Bob
12-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Nothing wrong with gas-n-go, that's the only way we used to do it unless we were riding to some specific event or location. The few rides I put together this year were done on the computer because I could. Back in the day we didn't have all this fancy crap. Here are some things I learned:

Tip 1) The nice thing about setting them up on a computer map is you get to actually see the road. Even on roads I'd never been on, it was easy (almost) to see if they were paved or not by using the satellite view and zooming in. I say 'almost' because I still managed to get us on a couple of stretches of dirt road, one was a few miles long, not sure how I missed it. The other was very short and I can see how I would've missed that. Also, stay the hell off of Exeter Road...good god....

If you're going to set up a ride using a web map, Harley's will sinc to a GPS. You can build the route then download it. Which brings up Tip 2), being a ride leader on a planned route you've never travelled before can be a pain in the ass. You spend a lot of time memorizing the road names and turns before the ride, then while riding you spend a lot of time looking for them. That sucks. I would highly recommend a GPS just to make life easier.

Tip 3) Don't depend on one restaurant, bar, or location as a stopping point if you're not really familiar with it. During Ride 1 the place I had picked didn't open until 2 on Sundays. The next place we tried was closed, the third time was the charm. On Ride 2 I intended to stop in Blissfield for lunch, but the only place that was immediately noticable as we went by was the pub that is part of the Hathaway House, and would've been really expensive. We ended up in Tecumseh for lunch.

Tip 4) There is no such thing as a wrong turn, only a new adventure. That kind of negates Tip 2, but it depends on whether you're dealing with a schedule or not. The two rides we took were late in the season, and not everyone was up for the added cold that comes when the sun goes down that time of the year, so I tried to keep to some kind of route so we knew what time we'd be getting home. The map programs will give you a good idea of how long your drive-time is, just factor in enough time to bullshit and eat. Bullshitting usually ocurrs at the beginning, the end, and in between....

Tip 5) Plan the ride, set your day, and leave it. Don't go ask everyone when they can ride because you'll rarely get a consensus. In the case of these two rides there was no choice, again due to the late time of the year and the inability of our weathermen to accurately forecast. Guys who want to ride will make the ones they can, guys who don't want to ride will never make it, and guys who live for it will be there everytime. That's not going to change regardless of the ride date.

Good tips. And I stopped planning rides long ago. LOL It'll basically be this meeting spot at this time and that's it. I rarely wait either. If we say we're leaving at 8:30 we're pulling out of the lot at that time.

Gas Man
12-10-2009, 12:10 AM
Good tips. And I stopped planning rides long ago. LOL It'll basically be this meeting spot at this time and that's it. I rarely wait either. If we say we're leaving at 8:30 we're pulling out of the lot at that time.
Always pad ur times by 30 mins

telecast
12-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Good tips. And I stopped planning rides long ago. LOL It'll basically be this meeting spot at this time and that's it.

Ok, but I offered them because you said:

I'll be honest, I've never been on many large group rides so any help there would be great.

Bob
12-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Ok, but I offered them because you said:

I don't know what I meant by that. LMAO It must of been late!

Mad Dog
12-17-2009, 09:08 PM
I was thinking more along the lines of the Swedish Bikini Team.

I understand Tigers' wife might be available.:)

Mad Dog
12-17-2009, 09:12 PM
Seriously though. If you guys are looking at a Saturday I might be able to make it. I was planning a week long camping trip in the UP and could incorporate it into the trip. Was thinking of James Bay but will probably wimp out for next year. I just need a little advanced notice.

Lumpy
02-16-2010, 11:52 PM
As a new guy, I have some questions......

When you guys plan a ride, how far does the ride typically take you?

Do you usually have a destination in mind? Such as a particular restaurant for lunch?

I'm just wondering if we used the Flint area for a starting point, take a ride that puts us in Frankenmuth for lunch, and then a ride back to Flint and end up at Rockys for a look around, if anybody would be interested.

Just thinking out loud here.

Gas Man
02-17-2010, 12:29 AM
As a new guy, I have some questions......

When you guys plan a ride, how far does the ride typically take you?

Do you usually have a destination in mind? Such as a particular restaurant for lunch?

I'm just wondering if we used the Flint area for a starting point, take a ride that puts us in Frankenmuth for lunch, and then a ride back to Flint and end up at Rockys for a look around, if anybody would be interested.

Just thinking out loud here.
We could do flint. But why would we go to Frankenmuth? That place sucks!

Plus Flint would be a solid ride just to get there for most... I think maybe meet in Royal Oak would be more center.. then maybe ride up Rochester rd into rochester... that is suppose to be pretty good.

RoadZombie
02-17-2010, 12:35 AM

Lot of good points here. I started off last season riding with Motorcity Freeriders...which eventually kind of petered out and some of us that met up thru MF spun off to form Motorcity Iron. These are definitely VERY 5 very strong points/tips which we figured out quickly.

We pretty much rode every weekend (usually Sunday) last weekend, and we'll probably pick up the same routine this spring. The way we ended up doing it last season was each person took turn planning a ride. We ended up going...everywhere. The Hudson Leather shin-dig down in OH...Frankenmuth...a ride up the coast of Anchor Bay...Harsen's Island...Grosse Ise...Holly/Howell...all over the place. Pretty much averaged 200-250 miles a ride. Everyone is welcome to visit us on Facebook (Just search for Motorcity Iron). If anyone wants to bounce ideas back and forth...work out a "co-op ride"...whatever, feel free to hit me up. I'm sure I'll come out for at least a couple 2WM rides as well...always down to expand my "circle". ;-)

RoadZombie
02-17-2010, 12:38 AM

Plus Flint would be a solid ride just to get there for most... I think maybe meet in Royal Oak would be more center.. then maybe ride up Rochester rd into rochester... that is suppose to be pretty good.

Rochester Rd is pretty nuts until you're north of Rochester...then again, out here in the boonies I tend to get a bit spoiled. ;-)

Mudpuppy
02-17-2010, 11:05 AM
Either one Royal Oak to Rochester or Flint to Frankenmuth sound good to me..

Rider
02-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Bikini bike wash. :D

telecast
02-17-2010, 12:39 PM

Ok, that's two votes!

Chris300s
02-17-2010, 03:06 PM
You just need to do it right. From the East side of the street heading North; grab a Hofbrau at Bavarian Inn, snack at Cheese Haus, microbrew at the newly reopened Frankenmuth Brewery, up to St. Julian Tasting room, cross the street coming back South, popcorn and a Schlitz at Victoria's, Finish off at Tiffany's with a Gentlman Jack. Black Forest Brewery is pretty good if you get thristy before you split town. (this is what we do when everyone's at Bronner's, brewery's right behind it)

Chris

Mudpuppy
02-17-2010, 04:45 PM
Bikini bike wash. :D

Make it 3 votes

Mudpuppy
02-17-2010, 04:48 PM
You just need to do it right. From the East side of the street heading North; grab a Hofbrau at Bavarian Inn, snack at Cheese Haus, microbrew at the newly reopened Frankenmuth Brewery, up to St. Julian Tasting room, cross the street coming back South, popcorn and a Schlitz at Victoria's, Finish off at Tiffany's with a Gentlman Jack. Black Forest Brewery is pretty good if you get thristy before you split town. (this is what we do when everyone's at Bronner's, brewery's right behind it)

Chris

Sounds good but I assume you would ride there and stay the night or something - otherwise riding home might be a little sketchy with a .3 BAL..