PDA

View Full Version : Harley twin cam replacement rumored for this year. 107c.i. "Milwaukee 8".

Dagnabit
07-30-2016, 10:34 AM
http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/exclusive-leaked-pictures-of-the-new-harley-107-milwaukee-eight-engine

Supposedly out later this year. Not a fan of having to go back to adjusting valves if the article is correct but I guess we will know next month if there's any truth to any of this. The Twin cam is getting pretty long in the tooth, and I think with the emission standards getting tighter all over the world a change was coming soon anyway.

Kosher
07-30-2016, 05:06 PM
Yeah, not sure what to make of this. They have 110s going into more bikes, thats what they did with 103s before they became standard everywhere.

So you'd think the 110s would be the baseline with 120s for CVOs, the 120s having been out for a while.

But, I have to say, the twin cam architecture has been around a while, and is getting a bit long in the tooth, so it would be interesting to see what a next generation engine would be.

I personally wish they'd just jump in with a 100% water cooled bike, with something more than a 45 degree v-twin. So much of the design of the current bikes power train is involved in mitigating all the vibration from those engines (comp sprocket in the primary, IDS in the rear wheel, etc etc etc, plus all the problems with oil pumps, inner primary bearings, its endless).

Dagnabit
07-30-2016, 09:02 PM
Doesnt look like they changed much other than the head design. If it is true, almost seems like a lost opportunity. I get they want the bikes to fit in the current frames and have the HD look, but that drive train design is getting old. Basic maintenance like changing a drive belt should be simplified. The conspiracy theorist in me says the MOCO is keeping things this way to keep the cash coming into the dealers for repairs and service checks. Im wondering what the service cost is going to be on valve adjustments and how often they are going to recommend you check them.

Gas Man
07-31-2016, 12:53 PM
HD is doing what all moco do these days. Keep their dealers open and employed.

You guys must also remember that they must keep that HD sound. Granted that doesn't change the repairs kosher brings up but with considering.

Water cooled isn't all great either. Just ask Nate. His water cooled Kaw touring bike was a heat monster.

Kosher
07-31-2016, 03:54 PM
HD is doing what all moco do these days. Keep their dealers open and employed.

You guys must also remember that they must keep that HD sound. Granted that doesn't change the repairs kosher brings up but with considering.

Water cooled isn't all great either. Just ask Nate. His water cooled Kaw touring bike was a heat monster.

Yes but more power within epa regs, higher compression means more heat but you can mitigate with liquid cooling

Gas Man
07-31-2016, 09:59 PM
Yeah but damn... another hole to change liquid?!?!!!!

RedneckMedic
08-02-2016, 06:45 PM
Yeah but damn... another hole to change liquid?!?!!!!Then it would have to be a one hole oil change like the metric bikes.

detdrbuzzard
09-05-2016, 06:17 PM
well the new 107 is here or at least in ohio, I was down at the Harley dealer in piqua, oh Saturday and they had a few on the showroom floor

Gas Man
09-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Yeah I saw a few of them at Motor City the other weekend.

detdrbuzzard
09-06-2016, 05:07 PM
Yeah I saw a few of them at Motor City the other weekend.
ok but it was much more fun to go see the new Harleys in ohio :)

Moesride
09-06-2016, 09:58 PM
ok but it was much more fun to go see the new Harleys in ohio :)

I was in Mertyle Beach HD today and they had a few in there. Definitely much more fun down here as well..