PDA

View Full Version : suspension

leebo
07-28-2016, 07:28 PM
So I went to triumph dealer looking for one of those new street twins and they were "all sold out"Was casually talkin with one of the salesman who told me that if I put new progressive shocks on my bike that I would probably keep it. supposed to turn it into a "whole new bike" .
So im thinking that would be a great winter project think I can do the rears OK but not sure about the fronts may have to have those done.

Gas Man
07-28-2016, 11:06 PM
So I went to triumph dealer looking for one of those new street twins and they were "all sold out"Was casually talkin with one of the salesman who told me that if I put new progressive shocks on my bike that I would probably keep it. supposed to turn it into a "whole new bike" .
So im thinking that would be a great winter project think I can do the rears OK but not sure about the fronts may have to have those done.

Lee, the progressive's very well may transform your bike. The rears are easy, just supporting the bike. I've seen that done with bike jacks or hanging the rear of the bike off ceiling joists.

The fronts are too bad Lee. On one of these junk HD dressers I can do the job in 4 hours from start to done and cleaned up. I would suggest the nitrogen charged front mono shocks. Then depending on miles on the bike, probably best to be ready to or just do it... replacing the bushings and fork seals.

Aggressor05
07-29-2016, 10:37 AM
I have a question. what is the difference between the progressive suspension & the premium suspension offered by H-D

leebo
07-29-2016, 12:12 PM
Thats a good one for the harley guys.

Gas Man
07-29-2016, 09:02 PM
I have a question. what is the difference between the progressive suspension & the premium suspension offered by H-D

Do you mean the coil over rears that they use on some of the FLH bikes instead of the stock air shocks??

Kosher
07-30-2016, 07:27 AM

Here's a good explanation of the various types of shocks for Harleys: http://www.motorcyclemetal.com/gpage26.html

From what I can tell from the chatter on HDForums, anything aftermarket would improve your ride. Progressives are very popular, but there are tons of others. Here's a good thread on just what you asked: http://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1010272-ohlins-vs-hd-premium-hand-adjustable-shocks.html

The guy from Motorcycle Metal will modify and set up Ohlins specifically for you and gets rave reviews for his work and customer service.

But there are tons of other options, most of which seem to be reviewed favorably: Legend Revo, Pro-Action, Super Shox, Ultima, Race Tech, JRI, Burly, etc.

Then of course there are air ride systems. Some of our TWM gangstas are running these: http://www.skullycustoms.com/

Dagnabit
07-30-2016, 09:53 AM
Progressive makes a few different shocks. I've talked to a few people who told me the lower end ones are not worth picking up. I looked at the 944 series for my bike, but 600 bucks was out of my price range this year. I put the money last year into a new seat and highway pegs to change my foot position and that made a huge difference in comfort for me.

Gas Man
07-30-2016, 10:34 AM
Kosher is right once again.

And I will say that I love my rear air ride much more than my progressive 940's. That being said. I do have my progressives that I would sell you for about $200

Dagnabit
07-30-2016, 10:39 AM
Damn, I just installed the Harley lowered air shocks I picked up on eBay. I was having a hard time flatfooting the bike. What size shocks are those Chris?

leebo
07-30-2016, 02:04 PM
Lee, the progressive's very well may transform your bike. The rears are easy, just supporting the bike. I've seen that done with bike jacks or hanging the rear of the bike off ceiling joists. The fronts are too bad Lee. On one of these junk HD dressers I can do the job in 4 hours from start to done and cleaned up. I would suggest the nitrogen charged front mono shocks. Then depending on miles on the bike, probably best to be ready to or just do it... replacing the bushings and fork seals.Thanx Chris.Ill prob have the fronts done then and do the rears myself.they are due for oil chg anyways so get it all done together.

Kosher
07-30-2016, 04:24 PM
Damn, I just installed the Harley lowered air shocks I picked up on eBay. I was having a hard time flatfooting the bike. What size shocks are those Chris?

Dag, if you don't end up taking them, I might give them a shot.

Dagnabit
07-30-2016, 05:23 PM
Dag, if you don't end up taking them, I might give them a shot.

Let me ask Chris if they are the 12 inch or 13. Don't really want the taller ones,. I was having hard time parking and manuevering.

Kosher
07-30-2016, 05:30 PM
Let me ask Chris if they are the 12 inch or 13. Don't really want the taller ones,. I was having hard time parking and manuevering.

Sounds good. Here's the thing: I'm not aware that I have any problems with the stock shocks, but with all the "I was blind and now I can see" chatter, I feel like I need to try *something*. A lot of people say they didnt know how bad they had it until they got something different.

I'd guess Chris has the 12" ones. I wouldnt be interested in going lower, I'm flat footed now on the stock RG shocks, and I had 12" stock shocks on my Road King, which I can tell you were indeed horrible (for me anyway).

The other thing we'd want to know is: heavy duty or standard.

Chris?

Gas Man
07-31-2016, 12:50 PM
I think they call them 13" with a static of 12". But I remember them as basically a lowering spring. They will sit like a 12" but suppose to have 13 of travel. Dan you have my cell. HMU if you want them.

Dagnabit
08-02-2016, 07:13 PM
Chris I don't have your number for some reason. Can you message me your cell and I'll text you when I get a minute. At the tigers game tonight so probably tomorrow

leebo
08-06-2016, 07:03 AM
I heard that progressive usually has a sale around christmas?also in their catalog their asking me to pick 11 or 12 is that just a taller shock?

Gas Man
08-06-2016, 09:27 AM
Yeah it's like the Harley's. The street glide is lower than the ultra so it has a shorter shock.