PDA

View Full Version : Decent place to buy a leather?

telecast
08-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Around AA/Monroe?

Bob
08-28-2009, 06:49 PM
A leather what? Jacket, seat, saddle bag, assless chaps, gloves, whips, boots?
;)

telecast
08-28-2009, 06:53 PM
Hmmm...ok

"A Leather"

means "A Jacket".

If I wanted a seat I'd have said seat. If I wanted gloves I would've said gloves.

If I wanted assless chaps, the whip would've been included......:eek:

Bob
08-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Hmmm...ok

"A Leather"

means "A Jacket".

If I wanted a seat I'd have said seat. If I wanted gloves I would've said gloves.

If I wanted assless chaps, the whip would've been included......:eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I've heard good things about this place but they are not local:
http://www.leatherup.com/

However, I did see a bunch of Harley's sitting outside of AM Leather in Taylor last weekend and figured they might be a good place for such items
http://www.insiderpages.com/b/3716092677

telecast
08-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Yeah, I looked at Leatherup.com and a few others. After trying on a few jackets locally, I better buy one in person. Sizes seem to vary a bit.

I'll check out the Taylor place, thanks!

Bob
08-28-2009, 08:19 PM
No problem! Let me know how that place is when you go.

vortech302
08-28-2009, 08:25 PM
The guys at that AM Leather are pretty cool. I went in there when I was looking to get my riding boots dyed, and instead of charging me a buttload of money they told me where to get leather paint that would hold up better and not discolor. The guys at work that ride swear by them.

Bob
08-28-2009, 08:29 PM
The guys at that AM Leather are pretty cool. I went in there when I was looking to get my riding boots dyed, and instead of charging me a buttload of money they told me where to get leather paint that would hold up better and not discolor. The guys at work that ride swear by them.

Good to know. I'll have to swing in there one day.

telecast
08-28-2009, 10:15 PM
They sell jackets, right? I'm not going to an assless chaps-n-whip store am I?

meinschaft
08-29-2009, 06:04 AM
Telecast,

You say that as if there's something wrong with assless chaps and whips..........................

Gas Man
08-29-2009, 06:06 AM
I echo the comments about AM Leather. Its just east of the air port in a strip mall on the south side of eureka rd. They sell everything made of leather.

When you guys go, give me a shout... I'll go with if I can.

telecast
08-29-2009, 08:47 AM
I wa thinking about going this afternoon, but it'll probably be a truck trip rather than bike due to this wonderful weather we've been having.

I was going to go straight into Flat Rock on Will Carleton and hit Telegraph. If you want I can stop by and pick you up on the way.

telecast
08-29-2009, 08:55 AM
Telecast,

You say that as if there's something wrong with assless chaps and whips..........................

I should've added:

"Not that there's anything wrong with that...."

Berto
08-29-2009, 09:44 AM
I like to support locally, but normally get my leathers from www.newenough.com (http://www.newenough.com) normally.

I also wear more "sport" oriented gear as I think it's more protective. Just my opinion... so no flaming on the gear choices.

I do want assless chaps... For stage Telecast, stage... hehe

telecast
08-29-2009, 09:51 AM
I do want assless chaps... For stage Telecast, stage... hehe

Nah, for stage you want lycra spandex and a cucumber...

Don't forget the cape!

Berto
08-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Nah, for stage you want lycra spandex and a cucumber...

Don't forget the cape!

That's for my Poison cover band... haha.

Which I want to put together if you are interested!!!...:p

telecast
08-29-2009, 04:01 PM
So, hit AM Leather. Small store, lower selection than most bike shops. Prices ok, but not great. One I really liked for $230, the only one less was a POS. Anything by Brooks or Reed was $350+.

Went to the Gibralter Trade Center and bought a decent Leather King, thinsulate liner, shoulder/kidney/elbow padding, zippered vents, etc and vest for $200 OTD.

Hopefully it won't fall apart. Then again I once had a Reed that split all the way down the side.

vortech302
08-29-2009, 07:55 PM
Man now I feel kinda bad for suggesting them.

Bob
08-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Show us pics of what you got!

telecast
08-29-2009, 09:51 PM
Man now I feel kinda bad for suggesting them.

Why? It was a good suggestion. Had I wanted to buy a really nice leather it would've been perfect. I am, by nature, a cheap ass.

BTW, they had a few nice throwover bags there too.

Gas Man
08-30-2009, 06:35 AM
Yeah I have a Brooks and love it. Will never ever get rid of it. Paid about $350 for it. Worth every penny.

Fishman
09-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Well since this thread got started I have discovered Rocky's in Flint..
They have more leather and bike stuff than any two or three dealers you can mention combined..Also a lot of outdoor\camping fishing stuff...cool place just to browse around in..I bought a set of Kuryakyin ISO highway pegs with the right size 1.35" clamps for for 1500 vlucan right off the shelf..the only place you can find that stuff is order on-line
Prices seem great also..

gthong
09-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Just a thought on leathers... yea.. super nice leathers are nice.. like $450.00 Harley jackets, etc... but keep in mind.. it you have TOO NICE a jacket.. you have to keep a close eye on it...

I like to leave my jacket, helmet, gloves, etc with my bike when I park it at a motorcycle event like Daytona or sturgis, or smaller local events. If by some chance some squid decided he need/wants my jacket more than me.. I won't cry over 150.00 jacket... but a 450.00 Jacket... THAT would get my attention!!!

I bought a real nice leather jacket at Daytona several years ago for about 140.00/.. and spent the rest of the money on patches and beer.

My two cents...

telecast
09-10-2009, 08:46 AM
How much beer and patches can you get for two cents? :)

I agree for the most part. As long as it keeps me warm, dry and offer some protection I'm good with it, but you can get too cheap, ie: I don't like the lace up sides or the 'classic' marlon Brando-esque jackets. Not a slam on that style, just don't like them. I don't mind paying a bit more for what I want, but there's a break point. No way I'm spending $450 and up for a jacket that says Harley on it.

Gas Man
09-10-2009, 10:20 AM
I paid about $350-400 for my jacket but its a Brooks. Nuff said.

telecast
09-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Last Brooks I owned was in about 1980. It cost me $125 or so.

I had bad luck with Reed. Expensive jacket, but the entire side stitching ripped out after it was 3 years old.

Gas Man
09-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Well I stopped by AM Leather today. Was informed if you buy any USA made leather there, they give you a lifetime warrenty on everything on the jacket. Above and beyond any manufacture warrenty.

That being said the brooks leather jacket is $350-$400 and vest $145

gthong
09-11-2009, 07:39 AM
ok.. you guys wore me down.. I went out to the garage to check my coat.. it's a HUDSON.. with a removeable liner.. I paid 140.00 for it an I am pleased with it. A couple years later Willie G. Davidson signed the upper back for me.. so now it's worth a grand, right?? (LOL)

I realized when I looked at it.. that I had not even had it on since I bought a couple Joe Rocket mesh, armoured jackets with liner 3 years ago.

gthong
09-11-2009, 07:42 AM
Oh.. while we are be- laboring the jacket issue.. DO NOT BUY ONE WITH A BELT ON IT!!

IT;S SURE TO SCRATCH YOUR 2000.00 PAINT JOB AND THEN YOUR HEAD WILL EXPLODE!!!! and then the inside of your head will get all over your paint.. and that's worse!!!!

telecast
09-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Oh.. while we are be- laboring the jacket issue.. DO NOT BUY ONE WITH A BELT ON IT!!

Too much hardware =

WYE-----EM-----CEE----AY!

dirty dave
09-12-2009, 08:49 PM
I`ve got a old Leather King jacket ive had for years without a problem paid 150.00 at a motorcycle show its thick heavy has a re movable liner and if it gets stolen or destroyed I wont sweat it. If your looking for inexpensive jacket check out gibraltor trade center.

BIG DAVE
02-12-2010, 07:04 PM
The nicest leather I have bought is a fox creek leather . www.foxcreeklether.com (http://www.foxcreeklether.com) . they are the best in product and service ,stand behind ther work and best of all made in the good old usa

Pigpen
02-12-2010, 09:46 PM
The nicest leather I have bought is a fox creek leather . www.foxcreeklether.com (http://www.foxcreeklether.com) . they are the best in product and service ,stand behind ther work and best of all made in the good old usa

I agree:cool:

Gas Man
02-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Have bought a few things from them. They are great! I buy from here out, all my leather from A&M Leather in Romulus.

telecast
02-13-2010, 11:42 AM

You screwed up your link. try:

www.foxcreekleather.com (http://www.foxcreekleather.com)

Thruxtonbill
02-13-2010, 12:41 PM
I have a first gear which I have only worn prolly 5 times, heavy sumbitch, comes with a liner. It's a Lg. No armor. I'm willing to part with it if anyone is interested. Can't find a pic, sorry. Black, no collar, vented, it's pretty sexy cause I have really good taste.;)