PDA

View Full Version : Ok, that's weird......

telecast
08-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Took the wife for a ride on Saturday, first time I've had a rider since I bought the bike. Everything was fine, except for the....

...speedometer?

The thing works just fine when I'm on alone, (verified by Fishman on our ride) but with a rider it's reading about 15-20 MPH lower than actual speed. It gets further out of whack the faster I go. I know at one point we were doing about 60, the speedo never got past about 43.

The unit is 100% electronic. It works off pulses generated by the teeth on the 5th gear. The faster the gear turns, the faster the pulses. It then feeds the info to the speedometer via wiring.

The sensor is new, the guy I bought the bike from replaced it. I read a few posts on the XL forum were a wire rubbed bare and shorted the system, but it resulted in total failure, not inaccurate readings.

The only thing I can think of is there's a wire with a tiny bit of insulation gone. The added weight of the second rider is tweaking thing just enough to cause a low-grade short. I guess I'll have to trace the wire and see if I can find anything.

Any other ideas?

Berto
08-25-2009, 09:43 AM
My vtx was giving me faulty readings a while back. It was a faulty connection. I just checked all the connections and it's not back to normal.

telecast
08-25-2009, 11:31 AM
My vtx was giving me faulty readings a while back. It was a faulty connection. I just checked all the connections and it's not back to normal.

Cool, with any luck my life will be as easy!

Gas Man
08-26-2009, 09:00 AM
I would try and get the bike up on a lift or somin.... trace the wiring... I think you're right. Its a low grade ground fault...

telecast
08-26-2009, 09:16 AM
Pulled it apart and checked the wiring, no bared wires. I pulled the battery tray and rerouted the wire, as well as installing new zip ties to keep the connector and wire out of the way.

Ran the diagnostics, all clear. But when it got to the calibration it read '09'. According to the HD service manual it should read '14' for domestic. I don't know if this is right or wrong, the service manual is for an XLH and mine's a Standard. (manual came with the bike)

Can someone tell me what the calibration for a 2000 883 Standard should be? It looks like you need a readout from HD to calibrate it, so it'll have to go to the shop if it's wrong. I'd like to know before I take it in for nothing.