PDA

View Full Version : Home brewed coffee

sprink
01-10-2016, 04:51 PM
I know there are some coffee snobs on here. Where do you buy coffee beans? Do you use a French Press or just drip it? Hand grinder or expensive electric burr grinder? Do you take time to make it right every morning before work or slum it like me with crap coffee?

Bagger Dave
01-10-2016, 07:21 PM
I buy coffee beans from Meijer's and Bean Central...I buy the whole bean and I have a electric coffee grinder that I bought at Meijer's for like $23...I grind my coffee every morning...it only takes a few seconds...I don't drink crap coffee :lol:

sprink
01-10-2016, 07:27 PM
I have a blade grinder and used to grind coffee for the drip maker. Guess I got busy or lazy. Figured I'd get back to good coffee but not sure what the best way is.

Bagger Dave
01-10-2016, 07:35 PM
yeah, my coffee grinder has a blade in it also...and I have a Hamilton Beach coffee maker which is drip.
I have been grinding my coffee beans and making my coffee this way since Aug. of 2008 when Gas Man's wife made me some coffee that she grinded...I was sold after that! lol

sprink
01-10-2016, 07:39 PM
Cool, maybe I just need coffee and not new equipment.

Larry64
01-10-2016, 07:41 PM
I grind fresh and use a french press. My wife is not a coffee drinker so it works for me. I have my two cups before I go to work and that's it. I don't drink the fire house tar any more.

sprink
01-10-2016, 08:28 PM
I was thinking of going that way for the weekend, the grinding doesn't bother me time wise, but heating water and timing the brew with the french press seems daunting for the work day morning.............

Gas Man
01-10-2016, 09:15 PM
We use a large variety of coffee beans here at our house. From Kroger, Bean Central, McCafe, Dunkin, Caribu, etc... grind and brew. We've used cuisinart coffee makers, to Mr. Coffee... right the wife's rocking a $30 cheap Hamilton Beach maker... I really think the greatness is in the coffee not the machine heating it up and dripping it.

sprink
01-10-2016, 09:33 PM
thanks for the input guys!

RedneckMedic
01-10-2016, 11:55 PM
I got a new bunn for Xmas and love it. Have never ground my own coffee but have been thinking about it. I've always been a big timmies fan so that's what I usually brew. But I just like coffee. I enjoy a French press, crap coffee at the hospital or the Ems station, sometimes flavored cream, sometimes whiskey or baileys at home, the rest of the time black, and some times I'll get a fancy designer drink from a coffee house with a couple shots.

Dagnabit
01-11-2016, 10:13 AM
Right now I alternate between my keurig commercial unit and my regular coffee pot depending on how much time i have in the morning to actually enjoy more than 1 or 2 cups. Ive worked shift work for years, so i drink a lot of coffee. Flavorwise as long as its not burnt im not very particular. I just stay away from maxwell house, folgers, etc. Its not that much more to get fresh ground, and the brand isnt as big a deal as it being fresh. Experiment around with a few different blends to see what you like. As far as the coffee makers, Ive always wanted a bunn but the always on hot water system seems like a bacteria bath to me. I picked up a melitta machine 2 years ago that i really like. It has a 10 cup thermal carafe and a heating system that keeps the coffee from getting burnt. Basically it brews the coffee hot, and the hot plate only stays on for a few minutes to make sure the coffee gets up to temp. The thermal pot keeps the coffee drinkable for hours without frying it. Also has an adjustable brew setting if you prefer your coffee a bit stronger/weaker. If your looking to drink your coffee throughout the morning with a fairly consistant flavor this is the route i would go. Heres a link to the model i bought.

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-10-Cup-Stainless-Thermal-46894A/dp/B00EI7DPTY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1452524129&sr=8-1&keywords=melitta+thermal

Gas Man
01-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the coffee maker suggestion. I'll save that idea if our cheapo dies.

sprink
01-11-2016, 08:28 PM
I've been using a Bunn for a long time. Love the instant hot water/coffee. Used to grind coffee, we have (or had ?) a nice shop locally. I think kids and work just made crap coffee almost instant and easy.

Gas Man
01-11-2016, 09:02 PM
Our problem with the bunns has always been what we view as a fire hazard.

Bagger Dave
01-11-2016, 09:13 PM
Here is the one that I have....works great!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0041A5H5S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

leebo
01-11-2016, 09:25 PM
I use a keurig

sprink
02-12-2016, 05:45 PM
So, I dropped an Amazon bomb and am all set on grinder(s) and press(s). Now I really need to know where to get coffee beans.

sprink
02-12-2016, 05:49 PM
Our problem with the bunns has always been what we view as a fire hazard.

My mother unplugs hers after use and has to remember to plug it in to use it. Funny!

Almost all appliances use power while plugged in. Do you view the TV as a fire hazard? They are UL tested, I think it's safe, lol.

Gas Man
02-12-2016, 09:21 PM
So, I dropped an Amazon bomb and am all set on grinder(s) and press(s). Now I really need to know where to get coffee beans.

Honestly just hit up your meijer or maybe kroger. They have some decent whole bean options. Bean central.com was always my place but they take forever anymore to fill my orders.

My mother unplugs hers after use and has to remember to plug it in to use it. Funny!

Almost all appliances use power while plugged in. Do you view the TV as a fire hazard? They are UL tested, I think it's safe, lol.

Yeah these women get funny. Not too mention the coffee pot is also plugged into a GFCI.

Kosher
02-13-2016, 06:46 AM
Ok, so a few things about great coffee:

1) Freshness is 1/2 the battle. If you bring home a 1 lb bag of beans and just fold the bag over and leave the remaining beans in the bag, that wont cut it. You lose a lot of freshness after just a day or two. If you really want to be a freak, get yourself one of those vacuum sealers that has a jar that will allow you to suck the air out.

2) Your grinder is the other 1/2 of the battle. Use a *burr* grinder (https://prima-coffee.com/learn/section/buying-guides/grinders). Much better than a blade grinder. I have a Cuisinart Grind & Brew (http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/cuisinart-reg-grind-brew-12-cup-automatic-coffee-maker/1014725296), which has a burr grinder. You put your beans in a hopper, put the proper amount of water in the reservoir, dial up the number of cups, and it grinds the right amount and brews your coffee. The challenge with this type of device is freshness. Its not practical to try to guess the exact amount of beans you'll need, so a lot of beans remain in the hopper. The lid for the hopper seals, and its better than leaving your beans in the bag, but still not optimal. the hopper has enough capacity for a few pots. But I dont use it very often, mostly when we are having a lot of people over, and also because I'm the only coffee drinker in the house, so its a pain to do all that cleaning every day. But it makes *great* coffee.

My own personal coffee habits are filled with compromise. First, when you work from home, you need reasons to get out, and Starbucks is a great thing. I happen to like Starbucks coffee, but I completely appreciate that true coffee snobs hate it. The main criticism is they over roast their beans. I believe that is true, but I also happen to like the way coffee from their over-roasted beans tastes.

I have a personal cup that I bring in, and get a 4 shot Americano in a grande (16oz) cup, which is a "coffee strength espresso" drink. Basically shots of espresso diluted with hot water. I put a couple drops of half and half in to take the edge off and thats it.

If you really want to be appalled, hang out near the table where people fix up their coffee. Its truly remarkable how much sugar people dump into their coffee. I only have to conclude that these people do not really like coffee.

When I do make coffee at home, I like a french press. French presses make strong coffee, which I like. I need to get a new one because the gasket on the one I have is wearing out. I like strong coffee, but not crunchy coffee.

I'm considering getting this one, (http://www.amazon.com/Frieling-French-Press-Coffee-Maker/dp/B004FV2TJA/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1455362820&sr=1-5&keywords=frieling+stainless+steel+french+press) because it gets great reviews, its insulated, and made of steel. The glass ones have a tendency to crack over time.

sprink
02-19-2016, 10:49 PM
I got a similar press and an aeropress. Also bought a Cuisineart burr grinder and a hand grinder. I am planning for camping and home brewing. The Aero Press uses a lot of coffee for one cup, but was good. Gotta heat the cup or something as the finished product was not hot enough (and the power went out so I couldn't warm it in the microwave). Electric grind and french press tomorrow.......

Found we have a roaster here in Ferndale, so I picked up 1/2 pound of beans roasted today. Something Brazilian.

Wish me luck!

Gas Man
02-20-2016, 09:13 AM
That's cool. I had a guy at work that roasted his own beans. He said it was the only way to go.

bombdog
02-23-2016, 06:31 AM
I was a coffee whore for a long time I started grinding in about 1990 and have been grinding ever since until recently. In Steamboat we had a local coffee shop that roasted everyday I was addicted to their fine coffees since leaving there I buy store bought beans. The best I found in Michigan was Hilliards I use the Bunn coffee maker now but I also have an electric expresso maker the old fashioned Italian expresso maker the metal ones they're great for camping as well and the old French press but you can't find fresh beans in the grocery stores around here.

Ultra AL
03-08-2016, 09:12 PM
Here's an article on the subject. I'm no coffee snob, but saw this and thought you would-be baristas might want to read it.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/02/23/dining/how-to-make-coffee.html?WT.mc_id=2016-MARCH-FB-MC10-AUD_DEV-0301-0331&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=AUDDEVREMARK

sprink
03-09-2016, 06:46 PM
I grind and brew with the french press on the weekend. It takes a while, the grinder is noisy as hell, and have to drink the coffee now. I grind by hand and aeropress anytime I make just a cup for me. It is great, easy and not too time consuming. Loving the good stuff! Now to find decent coffee at a reasonable price!

Gas Man
03-09-2016, 08:44 PM
Here's an article on the subject. I'm no coffee snob, but saw this and thought you would-be baristas might want to read it.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/02/23/dining/how-to-make-coffee.html?WT.mc_id=2016-MARCH-FB-MC10-AUD_DEV-0301-0331&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=AUDDEVREMARK

Some expensive coffee makers in that article... I'd be damn hard pressed to spend that kind of coin...

horrorbusiness
03-10-2016, 06:39 PM
Now I want coffee. DMF.