PDA

View Full Version : Moe's Rear Fender & Handlebar Project

Moesride
01-02-2016, 11:18 PM
So I decided to clean up the rear on the SG with a new fender from Bad dad. Never much cared for the stock design of the rear lighting on the SG fender.
Should have the fender this coming week so ill get a few pics of the install as I go.
Here's a pic of what I intend to do. Only difference is my set up will have the cutouts for the duals..

Bagger Dave
01-03-2016, 12:10 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen....The Finocchio is in da house!! :lmao:
Seriously, looks cool Moe! as you are in the "I Hate Money" club also! :lol:

RedneckMedic
01-03-2016, 03:43 AM
I think he wins the I hate money club.

owl
01-03-2016, 08:18 AM
He doesn't hate money. I would rather spur the economy than provide the government more dollars to piss away, and perhaps others feel the same way.

Kosher
01-03-2016, 05:49 PM
Thats gonna be a great upgrade Moe, take lots of pics as you do it.

Moesride
01-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Owl and I are on the same page on this for sure ! Actually, I'm a money Lover in crisis...! :D

Gas Man
01-03-2016, 11:13 PM
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Posting/1232663570872oq3.jpg (http://s99.photobucket.com/user/cjclark69/media/Posting/1232663570872oq3.jpg.html)

Moesride
01-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Should have my fender tomorrow from bad dad so I decided to disassemble the rear. Took a bunch of pics, mainly for reference, buy here are just a few.
Also decided to get the bad dad stretched bags to go with the fender. After talking with the boys down at bad dad, the fender and bags are made to fit each other perfectly so....
Also need to paint the parts, which I will do myself.
I am going to sell my current bags so if anyone Is interested ill sell them at a inexpensive price. I'll list those on the for sale section if your interested.

Kosher
01-04-2016, 08:18 PM
Also need to paint the parts, which I will do myself.

Rattle can?

Gas Man
01-04-2016, 09:03 PM
Awesome Moe.

So you going to get your 4th set (including the original stocks) of bags for your bike? :rofl:

Bagger Dave
01-05-2016, 06:25 AM
Awesome Moe.

So you going to get your 4th set (including the original stocks) of bags for your bike? :rofl::lmao:

Moesride
01-05-2016, 08:16 AM
Awesome Moe.

So you going to get your 4th set (including the original stocks) of bags for your bike? :rofl:
Hurt's my eyes when I actually read this....:lol:

Moesride
01-05-2016, 08:21 AM
Rattle can?
Yep. The John Deere Blitz Black matches the Denim black perfectly or damn close if you will. Relatively simple to apply. I have Lance to thank for this as he's the one that turned me on to it.

Moesride
01-05-2016, 08:18 PM
Came home today to find the fender delivered. Quality product to say the least. Ready for paint.... so that's what I did. Very happy with the turnout. Few pics.... first one is of a comparison to the stock fender. Other pic is kind of a half assed sideway profile, fenders actually hanging vertically. Added a couple more pics of the paint job.

Bagger Dave
01-05-2016, 08:43 PM
Came home today to find the fender delivered. Quality product to say the least. Ready for paint.... so that's what I did. Very happy with the turnout. Few pics.... first one is of a comparison to the stock fender. Other pic is kind of a half assed sideway profile, fenders actually hanging vertically. Added a couple more pics of the paint job.
Looks awesome Moe!

Bagger Dave
01-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Hurt's my eyes when I actually read this....:lol:
We will have to start saying " No Moe Bags" to ya!! :lol:

Moesride
01-05-2016, 08:48 PM
We will have to start saying " No Moe Bags" to ya!! :lol:
Fucking Figa...! :lol:
Thanks man ! Always get a bit anxious when I paint parts. So far so good.

Kosher
01-05-2016, 08:54 PM

Thats amazing!

Gas Man
01-06-2016, 12:31 AM
Great job on the paint!! Did it yourself this time??

RedneckMedic
01-06-2016, 01:29 AM
Looks nice moe. PM me a price on those bags.

Moesride
01-06-2016, 08:53 PM
Thanks gents ! Yep, doing the paint myself G..
Assembled the fender today and ran the wiring for the taillight. Amazingly everything works as it should...lol. Expecting the bags tomorrow so another paint job is on the horizon.
Few pics..... fourth pic shows the lowest point of the air ride system and the last pic is a good comparison of my buddies stock SG rear compared to my modified SG.

RedneckMedic
01-06-2016, 09:59 PM
Looks good moe. Looks like you talked your buddy into a swine box as well. Nice.

Kosher
01-06-2016, 10:44 PM
Looks great, Moe - where are the bags!?!?

Bagger Dave
01-07-2016, 10:54 AM
Nice!! looks awesome Moe! :dthumb:

Gas Man
01-07-2016, 08:59 PM
Moe... did you have to cut the muffler circles out yourself? Nerve wracking?

Doc Holliday
01-08-2016, 05:51 AM
Im going to be parking as far away from Moe as possible so mine doesnt look like the flat chested friend standing next to the hot chick with big ol boobies. Looks bad ass sir.

Bagger Dave
01-08-2016, 06:35 AM
Im going to be parking as far away from Moe as possible so mine doesnt look like the flat chested friend standing next to the hot chick with big ol boobies. Looks bad ass sir.
:lmao:

Moesride
01-08-2016, 11:52 AM
:lol:.....thanks Brandon.

Moesride
01-08-2016, 12:08 PM
Moe... did you have to cut the muffler circles out yourself? Nerve wracking?
No, I ordered it with the cutouts. At first I was going to order the full fender and do my own cuts. I was concerned on the cut not being tight to my V&H monster pipes. But after talking to the Bad Dad boys they assured me that it would fit nicely, which it did. Bags will follow the same cut line as the fender.
Here are a Few more pics of the bags. First one is the raw bag followed by my paint job. Painted my existing lids as well since I won't be using my vinyl lid covers on these.

GaugeMods
01-08-2016, 08:19 PM
Looks good, I like my Bad Dad fender overlay. I'm replacing it this winter from a broken chain that damaged it.

Moesride
01-09-2016, 05:31 PM
Was going to go with the overlay at first Gauge but didn't want to loose the ability to use my tour pack ect..
Definitely sucks that the chain killed your fender though.
Well, I had a good time with this small project and really like the end result.... and that's that ! Few pics.... third pic is a comparison once again of my buddies SG stock rear and my modified rear end and the last pic shows what I had before .

Ultra AL
01-09-2016, 06:58 PM
That looks so clean! Awesome custom job Moe. Nice.:rockwoot:

Caveman
01-09-2016, 09:42 PM
Wow, looks sick, Moe. Great job

Bagger Dave
01-10-2016, 06:39 AM
Sweet!!! looks bad ass Moe!!

Kosher
01-10-2016, 08:01 AM
That is really spectacular, Moe. Now we're all just trailer trash riding with you.

Moesride
01-10-2016, 08:51 AM
Thanks a lot fellas, appreciate the thumbs up on this. It was fun..... so since I'm balls deep into changing things around over the winter downtime,I plan on installing a set of RSD Lazy boy handlebars in black this coming week. Small 9" rise and better hand positioning over the stock bars ,for me anyway. Idea is not only to add a little pop to the front bars but mainly to get a more comfortable grip on my wrists which have been a bit unforgiving since they were both broken.

Gas Man
01-10-2016, 12:19 PM

:lmao: :rofl:

No, I ordered it with the cutouts. At first I was going to order the full fender and do my own cuts. I was concerned on the cut not being tight to my V&H monster pipes. But after talking to the Bad Dad boys they assured me that it would fit nicely, which it did. Bags will follow the same cut line as the fender.
Here are a Few more pics of the bags. First one is the raw bag followed by my paint job. Painted my existing lids as well since I won't be using my vinyl lid covers on these.

Well it looks clean and consistent.

Thanks a lot fellas, appreciate the thumbs up on this. It was fun..... so since I'm balls deep into changing things around over the winter downtime,I plan on installing a set of RSD Lazy boy handlebars in black this coming week. Small 9" rise and better hand positioning over the stock bars ,for me anyway. Idea is not only to add a little pop to the front bars but mainly to get a more comfortable grip on my wrists which have been a bit unforgiving since they were both broken.

Sounds like a neat project bud. Have to swap any of the brake lines or clutch cables? Any wire extending?

Moesride
01-12-2016, 10:18 PM
Ok I'm just going to post the second half of this project on this thread. Originally I was going to go with the RSD bars but ended up with the Paul Yaffe bagger bars in BLACk...lol
Love the look of these 1.25" bars. Did my disassembly a couple hours ago and waiting on the bars to get here Friday.
Again, a few pics.... First two are just a couple showing the end result ( My bars are in gloss black) followed by disassembled pics and lastly a pic of the current setup to use as comparison to the end result.
My thought is that this will give me better hand positioning as well as balancing out the front bar area to match the rear bags and fender.

Bagger Dave
01-12-2016, 11:19 PM
Ok I'm just going to post the second half of this project on this thread. Originally I was going to go with the RSD bars but ended up with the Paul Yaffe bagger bars in BLACk...lol
Love the look of these 1.25" bars. Did my disassembly a couple hours ago and waiting on the bars to get here Friday.
Again, a few pics.... First two are just a couple showing the end result ( My bars are in gloss black) followed by disassembled pics and lastly a pic of the current setup to use as comparison to the end result.
My thought is that this will give me better hand positioning as well as balancing out the front bar area to match the rear bags and fender.
Yep! those bars will look sweet on your ride! You forgot to tell everyone that you are going with the 8" bars :lol:

Gas Man
01-13-2016, 08:45 AM
Those will look sweet...

Also changed the thread title...

RedneckMedic
01-13-2016, 10:38 AM
I think your going to like it a lot Moe. Did you have to order a different riser clamp or do the yaffes taper at the clamp.

Moesride
01-13-2016, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the title change G...
The bars taper down at the clamp as well as the grips Lance. So I think it's going to work just fine. Also, I will not need to extend any of he brake, clutch or wiring since the rise is not huge..8" as Dave pointed out, so the stock lines have enough length with a little manipulation.
Took a bunch of pics for reference but here's a couple just to show the handlebar wiring. Not to tough but I do have a service manual that helps a lot. Important thing is to document every step as you go. This is the first time I've attempted this so....
Bars will be here Friday and I'll start to reassemble.

Moesride
01-18-2016, 10:30 AM
Worked on the Yaffe bars over the weekend . To date this would be the most PITA mod I have done. Running the wires through the bars was a major wtf !
Had to cut ever single electrical wire because the male pin connector ends would not and will not make the 90% bend at the top point of the bars. Went to BBs to pick up 30 male ends to replace the tip ends once the wires were through. The tech there told me the Yaffe bars are the toughest they work with and they also have a tough time with install. Luckily for me they had 30 pins on hand.
This project took me all of 12 hrs. to complete, no shit !
Anyway, I'm glad I did it and really digging the look and the straighter hand positioning is right up my alley. Lost part of my rear view mirrors but just part, not that bad. Few pics....

RedneckMedic
01-18-2016, 10:35 AM
Those look killer on there. The bars on my bike were the most frustrating mod I have ever done as well. Took me and G 16 hours.

Kosher
01-18-2016, 12:01 PM
Worked on the Yaffe bars over the weekend . To date this would be the most PITA mod I have done. Running the wires through the bars was a major wtf !
Had to cut ever single electrical wire because the male pin connector ends would not and will not make the 90% bend at the top point of the bars. Went to BBs to pick up 30 male ends to replace the tip ends once the wires were through. The tech there told me the Yaffe bars are the toughest they work with and they also have a tough time with install. Luckily for me they had 30 pins on hand.
This project took me all of 12 hrs. to complete, no shit !
Anyway, I'm glad I did it and really digging the look and the straighter hand positioning is right up my alley. Lost part of my rear view mirrors but just part, not that bad. Few pics....

Looks tremendous, Moe, great work. Now lets get this winter shit out of the way, and start riding!

GaugeMods
01-18-2016, 03:29 PM
Looks good Moe

Bagger Dave
01-18-2016, 08:31 PM
Looks bad ass Moe!

Gas Man
01-18-2016, 09:36 PM
Those look killer on there. The bars on my bike were the most frustrating mod I have ever done as well. Took me and G 16 hours.

You read my mind. PITA

But they look great Moe!!

Moesride
01-19-2016, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the thumbs up on this fellas! Frustrating project but worth it. Guess it all depends on the style bars you go with. Radius bars your in decent shape but if you go with any type of bars that come to a point, a 90% for example, plan on some time coupled with patience since running the internal wiring can be difficult. Lube the wiring with grease or anything that will help to lube up the inside of the bars ,not only to help feed the lines but more importantly getting them around the weld points that can potentially be sharp. Last thing you want to do is pull the wires and fray the shit out of them.

Caveman
01-21-2016, 09:54 PM
as far as lube is concerned I would just go with the Dielectric Grease two birds with one stone so to speak

Gas Man
01-22-2016, 11:48 AM
Ole Caveman likes to use dielectric grease like it's KY. :wtf::didntdo::backingout:

Caveman
01-22-2016, 11:57 PM
Ole Caveman likes to use dielectric grease like it's KY. :wtf::didntdo::backingout:

thats so you don't squeal too loud that you wake up the neighbors

horrorbusiness
01-23-2016, 09:38 AM
thats so you don't squeal too loud that you wake up the neighbors
Rape+spit

Moesride
01-23-2016, 08:15 PM
This project has come to an end . Last piece came in today, black HD brake levers.
Installed this afternoon.....

Gas Man
01-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Always a nice touch. I did matte black levers years ago before HD offered them.

RedneckMedic
01-25-2016, 12:20 AM
I need to do that on mine.

Moesride
02-12-2017, 10:55 PM
So it's been awhile since I last posted on this project. I bought these Baddad saddlebag lids probably over a year or so ago but never got around to installing them until today.
Did the paint myself as usual. These bad boys come with the LED running lights as well as turn signals. Relatively easy install.
Different....i like them.

Kosher
02-12-2017, 10:59 PM
Looks amazing, Moe! So - you just rattle-canned them?

Moesride
02-12-2017, 11:04 PM
Thanks Keith.
John Deere Blitz black. This stuff is amazing if your matching the HD denim black.

leebo
02-12-2017, 11:10 PM
Those look great moe!

sprink
02-13-2017, 06:16 AM
Very nice!

Gas Man
02-13-2017, 02:10 PM
Looks great Moe. You needed more rear lighting.

Kosher
02-13-2017, 07:54 PM
Looks great Moe. You needed more rear lighting.

Yes, because he probably still has money lying around somewhere.

Bagger Dave
02-14-2017, 06:51 AM
Yes, because he probably still has money lying around somewhere.:lmao:

Bagger Dave
02-14-2017, 06:52 AM
Looks sweet Moe!:dthumb:

Moesride
02-15-2017, 10:00 PM
Yes, because he probably still has money lying around somewhere.

Funny thing is that i bought these lids a year ago. No idea why it took me so long to install them.
If I'm not mistaken, baddad has stopped producing this style lid. I think you can only get speaker lids now with this type of lid. Glad I bought them when I did since I didn't want speaker lids.

Gas Man
02-17-2017, 09:30 PM
Funny thing is that i bought these lids a year ago. No idea why it took me so long to install them.
If I'm not mistaken, baddad has stopped producing this style lid. I think you can only get speaker lids now with this type of lid. Glad I bought them when I did since I didn't want speaker lids.

The speaker lid versions is what Sgt aka Tom has.

Ultra AL
02-18-2017, 11:37 AM
Moe is the King of Style! Looks nice, man!

Moesride
02-18-2017, 11:37 PM
Moe is the King of Style! Looks nice, man!

Yeah right Al...style is one thing I left in the 80s.
Thanks though.

Moesride
02-19-2017, 08:22 PM
One more thing I've had laying around here for awhile that I never got around to. Bagger Dave and I each bought a set of progressive front fork springs last year.
We installed his last summer but I never got around to doing mine.
So I figured since I plan on installing the shocks in the next couple weeks and my front end would be apart anyway I may as well add a slammed front fender from baddad to match the ass end. It'll be here Wed...lol

Moesride
02-19-2017, 08:37 PM
The speaker lid versions is what Sgt aka Tom has.
Yeah I've seen Toms G. They look soooo sweet on his bike and the paint matches his bike perfectly!
His whole sound system is super crisp and loud ! Gotta love it!

Gas Man
02-20-2017, 09:37 AM
One more thing I've had laying around here for awhile that I never got around to. Bagger Dave and I each bought a set of progressive front fork springs last year.
We installed his last summer but I never got around to doing mine.
So I figured since I plan on installing the shocks in the next couple weeks and my front end would be apart anyway I may as well add a slammed front fender from baddad to match the ass end. It'll be here Wed...lol

I'm off after Thursday with not a ton of plans... but either way, let's hook up for lunch or something and I'll give you some of those tools you had once before... :D

Yeah I've seen Toms G. They look soooo sweet on his bike and the paint matches his bike perfectly!
His whole sound system is super crisp and loud ! Gotta love it!

It does... it's a nice bike for sure.

But wait till you see Chad's insane bike!!

Moesride
02-20-2017, 05:42 PM
Bagger sent me a pic or two of Chads bike. His bike is in a league of its own man! Awesome is an understatement, drop dead gorgeous!!

Ill get with you this week sometime. The northern Daigos gonna give me a had on the springs.

Gas Man
02-21-2017, 06:52 AM
Bagger sent me a pic or two of Chads bike. His bike is in a league of its own man! Awesome is an understatement, drop dead gorgeous!!

Ill get with you this week sometime. The northern Daigos gonna give me a had on the springs.

Yeah when that Italian sausage party happening?

Moesride
02-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Fender came in a couple hours ago and plan on painting it tomorrow afternoon.
I'm thinking maybe I'll borrow YOU and your tools G this time. Let me know if you have any free time any weekend and that's when well do the shocks. Doesn't matter when.

Gas Man
02-22-2017, 06:23 AM
Moe, HMU on a text but I'm pretty open for the 7 days after today. Don't really have any plans.

Moesride
03-02-2017, 10:43 PM
Always good to have an extra set of hands and know how when dealing with the forks. 1 " lowered tubes and undertaker fender......Appreciate the help G.

Gas Man
03-03-2017, 06:23 AM
Moe's bike is always the slickest, most understated bike I know.

Bagger Dave
03-03-2017, 06:41 AM
Moe's bike is always the slickest, most understated bike I know.

This!
Bike looks bad ass Moe! your going to love how it rides now!

Chain
03-08-2017, 11:27 AM
I did that same fender in 14. Oddly I can only find one picture on it...

Looks nice MOE!

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq274/bigdogfatty/13393963_1157583157606244_5560282894589960820_n%20 1.jpg

Moesride
03-08-2017, 05:54 PM
Thanks fellas!
I'm thinking we have the same setup front and rear Shane.
All Baddad products. In my opinion, quality next to none.
Your RG looks great man!

Bagger Dave
03-09-2017, 06:27 AM
I did that same fender in 14. Oddly I can only find one picture on it...

Looks nice MOE!

http://i455.photobucket.com/albums/qq274/bigdogfatty/13393963_1157583157606244_5560282894589960820_n%20 1.jpg

Your RG looks bad ass Shane! Nice!!

Chain
03-13-2017, 10:52 AM
Thanks fellas!
I'm thinking we have the same setup front and rear Shane.
All Baddad products. In my opinion, quality next to none.
Your RG looks great man!

Your RG looks bad ass Shane! Nice!!

I'd have to agree Moe!

Thanks Dave.