PDA

View Full Version : What classifies a tourer?

Cbass182
09-01-2008, 10:40 PM
I have a 1979 Yamaha XS1100F and Yamaha made a touring package version with bags, a trunk, and a fairing, and a version without the bags, fairing, and trunk and they were virtually the same bike...?

Bob
09-02-2008, 08:47 AM
I have a 1979 Yamaha XS1100F and Yamaha made a touring package version with bags, a trunk, and a fairing, and a version without the bags, fairing, and trunk and they were virtually the same bike...?

I'd say, anything you want to tour on would be a touring bike.* LOL* Generally I think of Gold Wings and such but I'm seen people take cross country trips on Kawasaki 250's.

09-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Bags, trunk, and fairing are generally touring items. Especially "back in the day"

Though these days the line is blurred a bit, with several street bikes having bags, then a trunk makes it a tourer. And almost anything can have a fairing of some sort anymore.

Touring specific bikes usually hold more fuel as well, not alot, but if it's FOR touring it'll have one, two or two and a half more gallon capacity.

Clear as mud?* ;D

Berto
09-02-2008, 03:57 PM
I'd say anything that you like to take on a long distance ride... more than one day... over 1000 miles.

There are too many variables.* I have toured on my VTX, on my old F4i.

My buddy has toured on a Bandit 1200, Nighthawk 250 and Hyosung GS250 among many others.* It's all about you and the machine that does it for you.

I agree with the larger fuel capacity and a good seat is a start, but I still say anything that you are comfortable on you can do it on.

detdrbuzzard
09-03-2008, 09:18 AM
when i was 13 my neighbor toured the southwest on a '72cb 350.* to me a touring bike has the bags and trunk (like a goldwing) but does not intrude on driver or passenger* space. like adding bags to a cruiser or sport bike. it is engineered for the job

Jake
09-04-2008, 10:23 PM
Touring ride's are generally built on longer, heavier platform's that will haul additional weight and usually don't vibrate and fall apart after 80,000+ miles. True, most of these have larger fuel capacity but it is due to the reduced fuel economy produced by weight,passenger's, and wind drag(i.e. fairing,hard bag's, rear trunk's, trailer's, etc.) Throw in a dose of cruise control, stereo and good quality air ride suspension and seating, and a 1000 mile day leave's you feeling like a 400 mile day.

While any bike can be adapted over to land barge duty, it's all about how YOU feel when the day's ride is over.

Bottom line is, regardless of what anyone say's, it's OK to have more than one ride. Lord know's that the manufacturer's have not yet produced a Do-it-all bike.* Not yet....

Jake
11 ride's and counting....

09-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Yes you can "tour" on anything your butt and body can tolerate.

The original post though was made pointing out the difference between a existing bike, and the same bike with hard bags and trunk.

If one was planning on riding across the US, and had a choice of two bikes to do it-a "tour" category bike like a Goldwing, and a "street" category bike like a Ninja, it seems most folks would lean toward the GW based on features, storage, time spent, etc.

Yes a person can tour on anything.

What defines a tourer? That answer is different than "any bike with bags and a comfy seat."

And more and more these days the lines between "specific job" bikes is getting blurred, (like I already said), so if one was actually considering some touring, there are some more choices available without the same amount of "touring" sacrifices that one would make say 15 years ago.

Long wheel base vs short wheel base. Wind protection vs. no wind protection. Seating position. Storage. Creature comforts. Physical comfort. Load capacity.

What defines a tourer? A few things really, other than a willingness to ride anything, anywhere.*

detdrbuzzard
09-12-2008, 07:18 AM
what about bikes like some of those cruisers that come outfitted with bags. some people find the layed back riding position comfortable for long rides and that further blurres the line of a dedicated bike like a wing from say a vtx 1300 tourer. forr honda the complexity of building the 1300 over the wing has to make for a good profit margin and a better compairsion there would be a vtx 1800 as compaired to a valkery ( i know i spelled it wrong )