PDA

View Full Version : Is the HD adjustable drivers backrest is worth it if I'm mainly riding 2 up?

Dagnabit
07-07-2015, 05:07 PM
When I bought my road glide I picked up the non adjustable drivers backrest pad, but I'm considering returning it for the adjustable one when I pick up the bike. The main concern I have is how useful is it when I have a passenger on the bike. I figure I'll be riding at least 70% of the time with my wife on the back. Can I actually make use of the adjustment feature with someone behind me or am I better off just sticking with the fixed one?

Sorry about the typo in the title. I'm on my phone at work and the keyboard has a mind of its own.

Kosher
07-07-2015, 06:47 PM
I've found that it takes up space for the passenger, odd as it sounds.

Gas Man
07-07-2015, 09:47 PM
Well of course it takes up some passenger space... but you don't need to have the couch cushion backrest like Kosher has. Mine is small and doesn't take up much space.

Yes you can adjust it fully with a passenger. You install a lever under your left thigh behind the heat deflectors.

I love mine when I use it on road trips.

Chain
07-08-2015, 07:56 AM
My wife is 5'9" 135lbs, and we have no issue thus far with the riders backrest. We added the Hammock HD seat and it raised us both up a bit, and so I just had to adjust it up one notch so it didn't pin her legs down... She don't like it as much as no backrest in between us, but she's a touchy feely chick, she's gotta be as close to me as possible...That's her ONLY complaint. But we don't have our tour pack yet, we'll see if this makes it more crowded for her.

Adjustable all the way!!!

Dagnabit
07-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Ok, you guys convinced me. Im going to exchange the non adjustable for the adjustable.

Gas Man
07-09-2015, 09:28 PM
You'll love it. I promise!!

Dagnabit
07-09-2015, 10:13 PM
My wife is 5'9" 135lbs, and we have no issue thus far with the riders backrest. We added the Hammock HD seat and it raised us both up a bit, and so I just had to adjust it up one notch so it didn't pin her legs down... She don't like it as much as no backrest in between us, but she's a touchy feely chick, she's gotta be as close to me as possible...That's her ONLY complaint. But we don't have our tour pack yet, we'll see if this makes it more crowded for her.

Adjustable all the way!!!

I think I'm going to demo a hammock seat and a sundowner. A lot of the reviews on the hammock say it does not fit right with the adjustable backrest though. Did you have any fitment issues with yours?

Chain
07-10-2015, 08:48 AM
None!!!! We demoed before we bought too! And I purposefully took my adjustable backrest with. The wife went from squirming after 250 miles to postponed 400 mile squirm. The only thing we did notice is it lifted us a good inch, maybe two.