PDA

View Full Version : no lights or activity in gauages

glacieredlightning
06-08-2015, 01:05 PM
Started this thread over at RG.ORG .... http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=223226

Any ideas or suggestions folks????

Gas Man
06-08-2015, 05:41 PM
A few things...

Don't hose off under the seat. Simply not needed. Sure it gets dirty under there... the weird under the seat or under the side cover dirt... but not worth the aggervation.

Second, why disconnect and blow out connectors? I have rode my 09 Ultra in so much rain that I filled half the headlight. I'M NOT KIDDING! I have never did anything special other than wash it and blow dry the bike as a whole with a leaf blower.

I think it being a new bike I'd stop in your tracks at this point. Take it to the dealer, and say "it's weird, this shit quit working. Please fix and report back the problem." Don't say ANYTHING else! You didn't blow shit out! You didn't touch a fuse! Why would you, it's a warrantied bike, right?!?

Seroiusly, don't tell them shit about what you did. The bike was rode in the rain, you washed it, no big deal. That's it.

Could you try pulling the main fuse (Big 40 amper) and do the wait and check again.... sure... but then stop there before something bad happens that they can blame you for.

Just my $0.02.

Chain
06-09-2015, 09:40 AM
I couldn't echo more what Gas is saying, I know personally one that did his own trouble shooting on a warrantied bike, and because of it cost him $500 of his own money. Simply cause they didn't want to spend a potential day in the HD shop on vacation!

STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!

glacieredlightning
06-11-2015, 08:51 AM
Dropped the bike off Monday late in the evening so they didn't get a chance to look at it till yesterday afternoon. But they replaced the 4 fuses and 1 relay first thing and when that didn't work they verified all the connections were nice and tight. They are now as stumped as I am as to why the gauges are dead.

The service manager said this is just bizarre and looks like either a pinched wire under the fairing that needs a harness replacement or some other wire broken in the harness which again means a harness replacement. They are going to remove the fairing and check the harness there. He thinks it is something under the fairing as they had to take it off to flash the radio when I got the Sat module put into the bike a month or so ago.

I'll keep all y'all posted on what develops.

Gas Man
06-11-2015, 10:12 PM
Did they put in the sat module? And they didn't remove the fairing to flash the radio... that's done under the side panel. They had to remove the fairing to install the sat antenna.

glacieredlightning
06-12-2015, 08:14 AM
Yep, they had removed the fairing to install the sat module and the antenna.

Spoke to the guys there and they said the entire gauge cluster was dead. A new cluster has been ordered and is on its way ...

Errr, how does a gauge cluster die?????

Gas Man
06-12-2015, 09:18 AM
That's f'ed up... WOW!

I'm interested if that fixes it.

On the sat nav... I thought the premium radios were Sat ready?

Kosher
06-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Yep, they had removed the fairing to install the sat module and the antenna.

Spoke to the guys there and they said the entire gauge cluster was dead. A new cluster has been ordered and is on its way ...

Errr, how does a gauge cluster die?????

It will be interesting to see if this actually fixes the problem. I hate the method of diagnosis where they just start guessing and replacing things. Fine I suppose if its warranty, but after the 2 years are up its ridiculous. There was a thread on HD Forums recently where a guy got taken for a total of $4K to chase down a primary leak.

I bet this is our Waterford dealer. They all can be incompetent at times, but they were unable to diagnose a dead battery on my neighbors bike.

Gas Man
06-12-2015, 11:38 AM
They are definitely just throwing parts at it... now if they test fit a different set of gauges and they worked, then I would endorse it. Otherwise, I think they are just going for the easy fix.

Here's the problem, in case they didn't tell you... the odometer in the speedo has to be custom ordered for milage purposes, and it usually takes a bit of time. Like a 1-2 weeks. Unless the new ones are now different.

Kosher
06-12-2015, 12:38 PM
They are definitely just throwing parts at it... now if they test fit a different set of gauges and they worked, then I would endorse it. Otherwise, I think they are just going for the easy fix.

Here's the problem, in case they didn't tell you... the odometer in the speedo has to be custom ordered for milage purposes, and it usually takes a bit of time. Like a 1-2 weeks. Unless the new ones are now different.

I believe on the newer bikes the dealer can read the mileage from the ECM and update the new one on site.

glacieredlightning
06-12-2015, 02:10 PM
On the sat nav... I thought the premium radios were Sat ready?

:sorry: by sat I meant XM/sirius sat radio module and its hidden antenna thingy

glacieredlightning
06-12-2015, 02:13 PM

I bet this is our Waterford dealer

Yup, it is there. I was told by a buddy to ask for a specific tech to work on my bike. He is supposedly their best guy for troubleshooting and finding stuff ... but I have no idea who is actually working on the bike and what troubleshooting work was/has been done ...:shrug:

glacieredlightning
06-12-2015, 02:15 PM
I believe on the newer bikes the dealer can read the mileage from the ECM and update the new one on site.

that is what I have read to but ...

Hopefully they get the part today or tomorrow and my bike will be back with me ... not that I'll be able to do any riding this weekend based on what the weatherman is saying ....

Kosher
06-13-2015, 08:37 AM
I found the thread I was talking about. This is a hellish nightmare. I personally believe that, in theory, the dealerships are supposed to be the experts. (Ok, stop choking on your breakfast)

If they make a diagnosis, they should stand by it. If they replace a bunch of stuff that isnt broken, you should get your money back, period.

Check this out: http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=216993

glacieredlightning
06-19-2015, 07:51 AM
Bike is back home with a new gauge cluster :) :)

Gas Man
06-19-2015, 08:43 AM
That's crazy... wonder what fried it... what exact thing did it...

glacieredlightning
06-19-2015, 09:44 AM
I wasn't able to speak to the tech when I picked up the bike as he had left for the day. I'll talk to him next time I am there and get more info.

Bagger Dave
06-19-2015, 10:30 AM
Yeah...I would like to know also what caused the gauge failure

Gas Man
06-19-2015, 11:52 AM
I'm betting he won't know why or what caused it...