PDA

View Full Version : So I got pulled over, you might want to read this

Remo
05-04-2015, 09:38 PM
So yesterday, I am riding around town with a friend, both of us minding our own business not doing anything extreme or stupid. As we were getting on WB I-96 at Novi road an MSP trooper comes out of no where, actually passing/cutting off my friend on the on-ramp. I proceed off the ramp and on to the right hand shoulder of the freeway.

Since I did not actually know why he pulled me over when he asked (I usually know and I'm honest since they obviously know) I replied "no". Then he asks me why my buddy did not pull over too (see above). The officer then begins to school me on everything this wrong with my bike. I hear him out then calmly and politely hand over my license, registration, and insurance. He goes of to his car and returns with I ticket and written warning for the following two offenses:

1) Reflectors/clearance markers; improper or none - Civil Infraction
2) Reg. Plate- Improper display- Warning

So the moral of the story is be careful out there, I guess they will literally pull you over for anything these days. Also, I can guarantee that if I was not polite this guy would have written me at least two more tickets for so called "improper equipment"

But seriously, he pulled me over and issued me a citation for not having reflectors. No other root cause for the stop :wtf:

Now I need to figure out how to make her legal without having to buy a bunch of stock reflectors.

Bagger Dave
05-04-2015, 10:02 PM
Hmmm....well at least you didn't get hit with a bunch of tickets...sorry to hear about this though

Kosher
05-04-2015, 10:06 PM
Three words.

Fuck. That. Shit.

Gas Man
05-04-2015, 10:43 PM
I'm with kosher.

And I would just get some bicycle reflectors and put them on for the ticket write off.

RedneckMedic
05-04-2015, 10:53 PM
Wear is the law that says you have to have reflectors on a motorcycle.

Kosher
05-04-2015, 10:56 PM

Its a great question. I dont think you do. *Manufacturers* are required to put them on the bike, but once out of their hands, you almost certainly dont need them.

Remo
05-04-2015, 11:36 PM

Yea, I have yet to be able to find anything online stating that reflectors are required. I know they come on the bike from the factory but they are not even in the requirements for "custom" built motorcycles. Guessing it all depends on what the officer says eh? Anyways, I decided to order up some of the small, round bolt on reflectors for my license plate. Hopefully I can find a stick on solution for the front that's not too excessive.

The funny thing is when I called my local court house (they have not received the ticket yet) I was explaining the violations to them and their first question was "is this on a commercial vehicle" when I told her it was a motorcycle there was puzzled silence.

Moesride
05-05-2015, 06:15 AM
Complete Bullshit! This kind of stuff usually happens on commercial vehicles. Big money makers....... get pulled over an you get a complimentary enema . Sorry to hear Remo. Move on and forget it...

Bagger Dave
05-05-2015, 09:53 AM
Its a great question. I dont think you do. *Manufacturers* are required to put them on the bike, but once out of their hands, you almost certainly dont need them. yep...and once in our hands, that's the first things that come off!:lol:

sprink
05-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Not surprised in Novi, but surprised it was MSP. Novi Po Po are vicious with the commercial vehicles as Mo pointed out. Is the ticket in Novi court? I think I would fight it, even if it cost more than the ticket. Perhaps a call to AMA?

ChefC14
05-06-2015, 07:08 AM
I was just down there recently and noticed the billboards stating get endorsed or get a ticket or something like that. My brother who is active with the leathernecks told me that they want to do motorcycle checkpoints. supposedly abate is fighting this as well as the bike clubs. Guess they have to make money somehow.

leebo
05-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Not surprised in Novi, but surprised it was MSP. Novi Po Po are vicious with the commercial vehicles as Mo pointed out. Is the ticket in Novi court? I think I would fight it, even if it cost more than the ticket. Perhaps a call to AMA?MSP kinda surprised me too they have always been very courteous to me.its the city cops I have had probs with.

Gas Man
05-06-2015, 09:42 PM
I would have a strong problem with the MC check points...

Remo
05-06-2015, 11:45 PM
So check this out, I was doing some more research on my ticket this evening and I googled the actual offense code I was written for (257.687).This does not make a whole lot of sense to me:

257.687 Special lamps for passenger buses, trucks and trailers.Sec. 687.

"The sections of this chapter immediately following relating to clearance and marker lamps, reflectors and stop lights shall apply as stated in said sections to vehicles of the type therein enumerated, namely: Passenger busses, trucks, truck tractors, and certain trailers, semi-trailers, and pole-trailers, respectively, when operated upon any highway, and said vehicles shall be equipped as required and all lamp equipment required shall be lighted at the times mentioned in section 684 of this chapter except that clearance and side marker lamps need not be lighted on any said vehicle when operated within any municipality where there is sufficient light to render clearly discernible persons and vehicles on the highway at a distance of 500 feet."

Source: http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(bwldexx5a5qv3olaaxo5uaos))/mileg.aspx?page=getObject&objectName=mcl-257-687

I guess this explains why the lady at the court thought it was a commercial vehicle.

Gas Man
05-07-2015, 07:43 AM
Well, that MAY be your out. However, if there is a different code as in he just mis-typed the code, then I believe they can change it in court.

detdrbuzzard
05-14-2015, 08:17 PM
the reflectors on my 1500 wing have all been changed to lights. as far as reflectors go I'm wondering if the black 3m reflective tape meets the requirements of a reflector

junkyardjon
05-16-2015, 10:14 PM
they like to use federal laws. yes you are required to have reflectors or side marker lights

FMVSS No. 108,
Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment. A vehicle manufacturer
must observe 49 CFR 571.108, for regulations pertaining to motorcycles, and motor driven cycles.
General references to lamp placement can be found within Tables III & IV of FMVSS 108,
(included at end

EXCERPT FROM FMVSS No. 108,
Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment

TABLE III REQUIRED MOTOR VEHICLE EQUIPMENT
Motorcycles, Motor-Driven Cycles

Item Motor Driven Cycle Motorcycles Applicable SAE standard
or
recommended practice
(See S5
for subreferenced SAE
materials)
Headlamps 1 white 1 white For motorcycles only,
J584,
April 1964, J585e, January
Tail lamps 1 red 1 red J585e, September 1977
Stop lamps 1 red 1 red J186a, September 1977,
or S5.1.1.2.2
(FMVSS 108)
License plate lamp 1 white 1 white J587, October 1981
Reflex reflectors 3 red
2 amber
3 red
2 amber
J594f, January 1977

Turn signal lamps Not required 2 amber; 2 red or amber J588, November1984
Turn signal operating unit Not Required 1 J589, April 1964
Turn signal flas her Not required 1 J590b, October 1965

Kosher
05-17-2015, 12:08 AM
they like to use federal laws. yes you are required to have reflectors or side marker lights

FMVSS No. 108,
Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment. A vehicle manufacturer
must observe 49 CFR 571.108, for regulations pertaining to motorcycles, and motor driven cycles.
General references to lamp placement can be found within Tables III & IV of FMVSS 108,
(included at end

EXCERPT FROM FMVSS No. 108,
Lamps, Reflective Devices, and Associated Equipment

TABLE III REQUIRED MOTOR VEHICLE EQUIPMENT
Motorcycles, Motor-Driven Cycles

Item Motor Driven Cycle Motorcycles Applicable SAE standard
or
recommended practice
(See S5
for subreferenced SAE
materials)
Headlamps 1 white 1 white For motorcycles only,
J584,
April 1964, J585e, January
Tail lamps 1 red 1 red J585e, September 1977
Stop lamps 1 red 1 red J186a, September 1977,
or S5.1.1.2.2
(FMVSS 108)
License plate lamp 1 white 1 white J587, October 1981
Reflex reflectors 3 red
2 amber
3 red
2 amber
J594f, January 1977

Turn signal lamps Not required 2 amber; 2 red or amber J588, November1984
Turn signal operating unit Not Required 1 J589, April 1964
Turn signal flas her Not required 1 J590b, October 1965

Yeah, at the top it says *manufacturer*

Remo
05-17-2015, 09:44 AM
So here is an update:

The ticket ended up being a "non-waivable" violation meaning I could either pay it or fight it. That being said, if paid on time the ticket would not go on my driving record and no inspection would be required. So yeah, I ended up just paying it. I did not want to burn a day off in court and since the trooper is stationed at my local PD I figured it's probably best no to stir the pot.

Gas Man
05-17-2015, 11:14 AM
It also said recommendation.

leebo
05-17-2015, 03:16 PM
So here is an update:The ticket ended up being a "non-waivable" violation meaning I could either pay it or fight it. That being said, if paid on time the ticket would not go on my driving record and no inspection would be required. So yeah, I ended up just paying it. I did not want to burn a day off in court and since the trooper is stationed at my local PD I figured it's probably best no to stir the pot.I fought my last ticket got it reduced to just money.paid it and got outta there.

RedneckMedic
05-17-2015, 04:15 PM
I fought my last ticket got it reduced to just money.paid it and got outta there.That's usually the goal and anytime you go in to dispute a ticket especially speeding they usually "reduce" it to impeding traffic or similar and you pay more to the court but no points.

Moesride
05-17-2015, 04:21 PM
That's usually the goal and anytime you go in to dispute a ticket especially speeding they usually "reduce" it to impeding traffic or similar and you pay more to the court but no points.

You are correct on this RM. Can't tell you how many times I went to court with my boys for speeding or some shit like that when they were teenagers. Usually ended up with the infamous "Double parking" which carried a high monetary fine , but no points.