PDA

View Full Version : Ever felt too comfortable on your bike?

vortech302
08-06-2009, 11:45 PM
I've only been riding since 07 so I'm sure I'm just at that point where I know enough to be dangerous, but the last couple times I've had the bike out I've done some really stupid stuff. I think most of it comes from being so reserved in the rest of my life that the bike is the one place to cut loose, so should I start doing crazy shit in everyday life like get a face tattoo and develop an expensive drug habit, or just put a fun governor on the bike?

telecast
08-07-2009, 08:26 AM
the last couple times I've had the bike out I've done some really stupid stuff....put a fun governor on the bike?

You don't need a fun governor, just a stupid governor. :cool:

It's good to be comfortable on your bike, but you never want to be truly comfortable in traffic.

Gas Man
08-07-2009, 09:59 AM
shit... been there done that. You name it I've done it. It wasn't till I started gettin a bit older (over 25) that I realized my stupidity on my sportbike was going to do one of 2 things.

Splatter myself accross the pavement
Get in trouble with the law and loose my job

I would get home from doing stupid stuff, and think... F that was stupid. Realizing that those few moments of adrenaline wasn't worth the risk. So I sold the rocket and got the chop. That was a nice transition cause it was still fast and super flashy. I have since then went over to a standard HD.

The other week my bud offered me to ride this rocket. I passed. I know what they are about and don't have any interest. Plus the fact that he borrowed it from a bud (who I don't know) for the week.

Its a personal choice, but I don't regret mine one bit.

vortech302
08-08-2009, 12:52 PM
A stupid governor, I should've seen that one coming. I need to tone it down a bit that's for sure.

Gas Man, I've kinda been leaning towards a cruiser the past couple months, how do you guys like that Sportster? I like the looks of the Yamaha Warrior, but that Iron 883 and the Nightster are sharp... and less expensive.

Gas Man
08-09-2009, 12:11 AM
The wife's Nightster is AWESOME. For what little it lacks in actual power (say compared to my big dog) it makes up in being small and flickable. It looks great too! I give it 2 big thumbs up!

A few reasons why you should buy the HD

1. Buy American
2. Nothing has more aftermarket support than an HD. PERIOD!
3. Buy American. I work hard to have 4 american vechicles in my driveway (taken last sat)
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/img1249146873287.jpg

vortech302
08-09-2009, 01:33 AM
I went to Biker Bob's today and they had an Iron 883 in flat black, it is sweet in person and I'm really debating on it. My buddies that ride are telling me I'll hate it because of the power, but I want the biker look and comfort and not the going 130 on the freeway look, and I like the paint scheme on the 883 more. I'm supposed to test ride it on Thursday. I grew up in a big three family so I'm sure I'd catch alot of crap if I bought any cruiser that wasn't a Harley.

telecast
08-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Back in the day:

Sportsers were 900's and considered a big bike.
The biggest bike on the road was the 1200.
Most people rode around (two-up) on 305's, or even 250's.
The Honda 750 Four was a major breakthrough.
When the Kaw 900 came out we all sucked in our breath at the sheer power.

My point?

I'm not exactly sure when 883cc became 'not enough'. When I was looking, I wanted the 1200. Not because I needed the power, because I was told the 883 was a chick bike. Whatever. Go to XLforum.com and say that. There a thousands and thousands of guys over there who choose to ride the 883. They seem to have plenty of juice when needed.

I still want a bigger bike, but not for more power. I want it for the bigger frame, comfort, and looks. It'll be a Harley. Maybe a Heritage Softail, a Road King, or maybe a Glide. But the 883 doesn't seem to lack.

Do yourself a favor and check craigslist everyday. The Detroit list moves so quickly you almost need to check it by the hour. Times are tough and people are selling bikes cheap. I got this 2000 with 4100 miles on it for $3800. I changed the bags, other than that it came as you see it in the pic.

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u210/telecast_photos/sporty.jpg

vortech302
08-09-2009, 09:52 AM
Wow, $3800 is a smoking deal for that bike. How bad is the vibration on the solid motor mount Sportster? Can you put them on a pre 04?

telecast
08-09-2009, 10:12 AM
How bad is the vibration on the solid motor mount Sportster? Can you put them on a pre 04?

Well, once you hit 35MPH the mirrors are useless.....:eek:

Naw, it definitely vibrates, that's part of the 'charm', at least for me. But it's not awful.

I do think you can get a kit to put rubbermounts on a pre '04. You could check a place like J&P Cycle, they carry damned near anything you could imagine.

But there are deals out there for '04 and up too. I've seen '05 and '06's with 6-8k miles going for $5000. Go do your test ride and get an 'out the door' price. Once they add all the delaer costs and whatnot the price is going to grow exponentially.

There's a 2001 close to me right now, an XL883C with forward controls, new front tire, bags, windshield, backrest, etc for $4100, maybe $4200, can't recall. Search the AA CL for 'willis'. It has 10k miles on it, a bit higher than I'd like but it's owned by an older guy who took very good care of it.

Berto
08-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Yeah, you get that feeling on occasion.

I went the supermoto route, similar to gasman, but cruisers as my only is not really my thing. I keep it under 100 MPH flogged or mostly under the limit, but can leave most behind at the track... Where it matters.

Don't ever think you got it under control, that's when the bike will bite your ass.

Gas Man
08-10-2009, 03:55 PM
There are allot of changes to the sporty 07+ Including the EFI.

I really think for the extra money... the nightster is the shoe in. Trust me... I have had one of each in the garage.

2007 883L

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/Uma009.jpg

2009 Nightster 1200
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Riding/photo.jpg

Same bike size and parts. But with 43% more power. Its amazing the difference. There is no way you'd get bored with the night!

vortech302
08-15-2009, 08:21 AM
Well, I didn't make it to the test ride. I stayed a couple extra days camping and came back yesterday afternoon, and was kinda wore out from being on vacation. Plus, I didn't have service at the campground, so when I got my voicemails yesterday I had a message everyday from the bike shop. WTF. I found this one on Craigslist that has the look I'd want, now I'm kinda debating on taking the plunge.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/1321527629.html

telecast
08-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Interesting bike. Maybe a bit high for an '89, all the extra work notwithstanding.

The difference between an 883 and 1200 insurance is about $100 a year, or $8 a month, at least for me.

Gas Man
08-15-2009, 09:39 AM
Hell I couldn't believe that the ins on the 09 Ultra and 09 Nightster is the same.

vortech302
08-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Interesting bike. Maybe a bit high for an '89, all the extra work notwithstanding.

The difference between an 883 and 1200 insurance is about $100 a year, or $8 a month, at least for me.

I guess it is a little high considering bikes that are 12 years younger have a similiar price.