PDA

View Full Version : Can I ride with you?

RedneckMedic
04-18-2015, 09:04 AM
Can't throw up a poll from the phone but thought this would be fun. Read it on a facebook page and thought it was a good topic for discussion.

Your out riding and a person or couple guys comes up to you and asks if they can ride with you. What do you say. Yes or no.

Part 2. They tell you they are a new rider. Do you respond the same?

For me it would depend on how they carry themselves and their attitude. I beleive you can smell shit a mile away. Another thing that is circumstantial for me is type of ride. I would probably say no to city riding in traffic but more likely to say yes if out riding back roads. I enjoy meeting new interesting people but I get my fair share of stupid at work so I'm cautious.

As for the new riders same kind of interview process as above but if I said yes I would lay down some ground rules. No riding next to me. Remind them to ride staggered and leave space. And above all ride your own ride at your own pace, I won't leave you.

Thoughts?

ChefC14
04-18-2015, 09:58 AM
I always tell people I ride like an ass. I ride 5 above the speed limit usually and if I feel uncomfortable with your riding I will leave you. If we're doing back roads we know where to meet, don't try to keep up. I ride my ride you ride yours. If it takes away from my fun it isn't worth it. Now if they want to go faster same applies.

Gas Man
04-19-2015, 11:26 AM
I'm like you Medic. If I get the right feel I'm down. I usher in new people constantly, have for over a decade. Sportbiker noobs are the worse because they are usually younger and still suffer from superman complex.

You guys know I'm all about safety when riding with others. That's why we have "talks" before we set out for a TWC.

That being said, I like to ride fast but will ride slow. Medic rides much like I do. There is a time for going fast and there are times where it isn't a good idea.

It's a case by case basis for sure...

***If you want a poll, I can make one up***

leebo
04-19-2015, 02:27 PM
I will ride with just about anyone if they can go as slow as me.plus I won't ride next to anyone the roads are just to bad.

sprink
04-19-2015, 05:49 PM
I don't trust new people. Whether they are noobs or "have been riding for years", some people get it and some don't. I am only comfortable with a few people (of all I know) riding next to me and actually would prefer that unless we are in parade mode in town, don't do it.

I led a group to West Virginia a couple years ago and took the fun way there. Lots of twisty two lanes that most from Michigan have never experienced. I had many miles with all but one rider. I told everyone I would run a pace that was fun for me and wait on the others on the straight boring parts. A couple times I thought we might have to stop and go back because two fell so far behind, but that was all fine.

Two riders could probably have gone much faster than me. I noticed someone way too close behind and sometimes beside me. A glance and it was Joe, OK cool. Another time it was (insert new guy here) and I was freaked out. I used the whole lane a couple time to get him off and told him about it at the gas station. The next year I was cool with him "racing" with me. He earned it.

Now you all know why I fight my way to the back on group rides even while I complain to myself about how slow we go around corners at the back of the group, lol.

Gas Man
04-19-2015, 08:17 PM
I nominate Sprink for the next TWC leader. :fu2::lmao:

Moesride
04-19-2015, 09:20 PM
I nominate Sprink for the next TWC leader. :fu2::lmao:

I second the nomination.........Lol
I'm inclined to agree with G on this. Case by case basis for sure. One thing I cannot tolerate is wreckless sporadic riding. I won't be a part of anything that's going to put me face first in the concrete cause it hurts like hell . Don't give a shit if I hurt your feelings.

sprink
04-19-2015, 09:21 PM
:tremble:

Moesride
04-19-2015, 09:28 PM
:lmao:.....Greg!

I nominate bombdog as lead on all future rides!

Gas Man
04-19-2015, 09:30 PM
At least bombdog has led us before...

RedneckMedic
04-19-2015, 09:31 PM
I only like leading when I know for sure where im going

Gas Man
04-19-2015, 09:32 PM
Leading is not as easy as I make it... lots of pressure...

Moesride
04-19-2015, 09:35 PM
Exactly..... leading is not easy! Pressure like you said plus takes away from fully enjoying your ride.

DTOM
04-19-2015, 09:42 PM
I am more of a follower myself. I lead if I pick the destination but it's not my comfort zone.

Gas Man
04-19-2015, 09:57 PM
Even if you pick the destination... there's a bunch to consider on which roads, lane changes, and everything if you got 10-15 bikes following you. I've been doing it for over a decade but it's not always great.

DTOM
04-19-2015, 10:26 PM
By lead I am basically saying I am the first bike out and we all meet at the final destination. We all know the final destination and ride at are own pace. I never really ride with more than a few friends. I ride nomad 90% of the time, not to say I wouldn't like to ride on the TWC rides. If your looking for me I'm the guy in the back of the pack.

Gas Man
04-19-2015, 10:50 PM
I hear ya... I don't mind but as a good leader of people, I try to get others to step up as well. In planning and leading.

ChefC14
04-19-2015, 11:25 PM
I usually end up leading by nomination. I don't like the pressure. I am constantly counting headlights in my mirrors to make sure everyone made that last curve or that they're all back there. I feel responsible for everyone and want everyone to get back in one piece. I don't know why I feel that way but I do. If i am able to get out of leading, I always encourage others to do so, I take the back. Back there I can watch, make video and if I get bored everyone I ride with knows I'll just take off. It's no secret amongst my riding friends that I'm better off riding solo. For some reason though they seem to enjoy my company. I secretly think they're just waiting for me to get a ticket or put on a good show.

Gas Man
04-20-2015, 06:38 AM
I'm the exact same way besides he just taking off part.

horrorbusiness
04-20-2015, 08:20 AM
I will ride with anyone on any type of bike. if you start acting a fool then I won't ride with them. I would never leave anyone behind regardless of how much of a tool you act like. A friend of a friend is the type of guy who will not look back. He and my friend went out for a ride, they were going to get some food and got seperated. My friends weird ass buddy got there first and ate and was ready to ride more when my boy finally got to the resturant. My friend won't ride with him any more.

glacieredlightning
04-20-2015, 09:23 AM
I ride by myself unless my buddy is in town in which case we will ride together. We rode out to Romeo this past Saturday :):)

If you pull up to me or if I pull up to you ... we are moving at different speeds ... pass or let me pass :):) I have done my fair share of group rides and I'll ride wherever you want me to, but the first sign of someone riding like an idiot, you'll find me dropping to the back and most likely that will be my last ride with that person.

Gas Man
04-20-2015, 09:26 AM
I will ride with anyone on any type of bike. if you start acting a fool then I won't ride with them. I would never leave anyone behind regardless of how much of a tool you act like. A friend of a friend is the type of guy who will not look back. He and my friend went out for a ride, they were going to get some food and got seperated. My friends weird ass buddy got there first and ate and was ready to ride more when my boy finally got to the resturant. My friend won't ride with him any more.

That's not only dumb... it's rude and ignorant. (the dumb ass that left his "bud")

Bagger Dave
04-20-2015, 09:30 AM
I'm like you Medic. If I get the right feel I'm down. I usher in new people constantly, have for over a decade. Sportbiker noobs are the worse because they are usually younger and still suffer from superman complex.

You guys know I'm all about safety when riding with others. That's why we have "talks" before we set out for a TWC.

That being said, I like to ride fast but will ride slow. Medic rides much like I do. There is a time for going fast and there are times where it isn't a good idea.

It's a case by case basis for sure...

***If you want a poll, I can make one up***

Yeah, I'm with Gas on this one also......actually, the only time I lead is when we are doing a ride up in my area. Most of the rides that I go on downriver, I would usually ride in the back and because I don't know where we are going! :lol:

Gas Man
04-20-2015, 09:59 AM
The worse is when I'm put to lead and I don't know where I'm going either. :rofl:

Bagger Dave
04-20-2015, 10:02 AM
The worse is when I'm put to lead and I don't know where I'm going either. :rofl:
:lmao:

horrorbusiness
04-20-2015, 10:06 AM
That's not only dumb... it's rude and ignorant. (the dumb ass that left his "bud")
The funny part is I know the guy who doesn't act right. He's a nice dude type of guy who'll help out anyone. He just rides like a dipship.

horrorbusiness
04-20-2015, 10:07 AM
I'm fine with getting lost, I like being out on the back roads no plans no destination

Moesride
04-20-2015, 10:18 AM

Agree with you on the not leaving anyone behind regardless, as you stated HB......bailing on a guy , not cool !

Gas Man
04-20-2015, 02:12 PM
The funny part is I know the guy who doesn't act right. He's a nice dude type of guy who'll help out anyone. He just rides like a dipship.

We all know one of these....

RedneckMedic
04-20-2015, 03:26 PM
I'm fine with getting lost, I like being out on the back roads no plans no destinationHa but it's different when your leading. Unless you can play it off like that's the route you meant to take. I think last ride i lead out to AA was a cluster more so when we got there trying to find parking. Then when we left ended up leaving caveman behind with a bike problem and never realized it because we had quite a few bikes.

Caveman
04-20-2015, 03:36 PM
I'm in agreement with a little bit of all you. I feel that if you have the guts to ask to ride with me as a stranger, hell yeah I'll ride with ya. Some people like to have a riding partner be they a good friend or even a complete stranger. I am not biased with new or experienced riders, however, new guys, keep your distance. Your trouble response response time or even trouble prediction just isn't tuned yet. Not to mention your reaction to my reacting to said trouble may screw us both. I pretty much only ride abreast with those I have ridden with for quite some time. Al, Gas, Medic, Dave and my family are among the distinct few.
As for riding like an asshole, well, that's a matter of opinion. I may be classified as an asshole driver (and I'm ok with that) because if I find someone is piddle putting around where I want to move out, I will drop two gears and bury the throttle to escape from what I feel is a bad situation, or I may drop back and even pull of the road.
riding in packs well thats ever TWC and I'm down but in a pack with the state our roads I agree with Leebo and say lets stagger it up. I'm with Chef when it comes to the group finishing as a group or that we all make it home that day. I care about all that I ride with.

Overall, riding is fun and should be shared, just be cool and have a good time and ride YOUR ride, safely and responsibly. You don't have to compete, or keep up or challenge the other riders.

sprink
04-20-2015, 03:56 PM
At least bombdog has led us before...

I had to lead the TWM group (except Beeman) when we went on the joint ride with Redline. West side loop with a lot of waiting for headlights to come around corners. Owl made the ride, but as I recall none of the other regulars did. I should have looked at the pic at Bunker Hill.

sprink
04-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Agree with you on the not leaving anyone behind regardless, as you stated HB......bailing on a guy , not cool !

I went on a huge group ride in West Virginia. We broke it into two groups, the fast one and the regular one. I volunteered to ride sweep on the slow, I mean regular group. As we climbed up and down switchbacks, I noticed one bike slowly getting further and further back in the group. Then when he was right in front of me and waved me to pass I couldn't. The group slowly got out of sight, but I was confident they'd be waiting at the next intersection even if it was ten miles away.

That's just how I've always had it happen. Wait for the sweeper. If they don't show, someone goes back for them. Sweeper can't just bail. Hard to count headlights all the time, but if sweeper waves at the stop the leader knows we're all counted for.

Got to the next stop. Had to turn right or left.....No one waiting. Slow guy and I picked a direction and rode for a while then stopped for a smoke. Met a nice couple for the first time then we rode back where we came from. They went to a "rally" and I went solo through the most beautiful place I've ridden.

When the group and I met up at the bonfire it was odd. Some people were really sorry they left us behind. Some people didn't know they had left us behind. A couple people thought I was a dick for being mad about it. I had a great ride by myself but let them all know it was a dick move to lose two riders.

Can you tell it still pisses me off? :bitter: :lmao:

Went to look for missing rider on another trip and had to pick up his bike and wait for the helicopter. Gotta keep an eye out for your bros.

Gas Man
04-20-2015, 09:22 PM
Sprink... you need a hug?

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Posting/roflcopter.gif (http://s99.photobucket.com/user/cjclark69/media/Posting/roflcopter.gif.html)

Bagger Dave
04-21-2015, 10:16 AM
Sprink... you need a hug?

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l311/cjclark69/Posting/roflcopter.gif (http://s99.photobucket.com/user/cjclark69/media/Posting/roflcopter.gif.html)
:lmao:

sprink
04-21-2015, 03:06 PM
Yea, from Dave's signature!

ChefC14
04-22-2015, 05:59 PM
I went for a ride with a group of friends. I knew beforehand that some were aggressive and some were timid. I knew since I planned the ride I was staying with the pack. When we got to the back roads where is usually like to push it hard I couldn't because of the timid ones. I waved the aggressive riders on so they could go have their fun. The next time we saw them was about 4 hours later, one of them had a broken collar bone. He tried hitting a 15mph curve at about 90mph his brand new R1. I was glad I stayed with the pack but I felt bad that they didn't.

Gas Man
04-22-2015, 10:56 PM
I've been there and done that with guys like that Chef...

ChefC14
04-24-2015, 06:01 AM
Thing is Gasman, now that I've sold my Concours and had an M109 I think I got the mad speed demons out of my system. My Raider is powerful but it isn't stupid fast like those two bikes were. I still like the sweepers but the tight twisting are not the forte of this bike. I might get to the dragon again some day but I won't be riding it like I have in the past. It's time for Marco to enjoy the ride and leave the road destroying to the younger guys. This epiphany came to me recently because my wife is very sick and I will be raising our two girls myself in the next few years. It is absolutely necessary I do the best I can to take care of myself for the next 6 years. Once my youngest turns 18 I can then go back to being a 2 wheeled psycho.

Gas Man
04-24-2015, 10:01 AM
That's a good recognition sounds about right.

and sorry to hear your wife is ill.

ChefC14
04-24-2015, 10:32 AM
Thanks Chris.

leebo
04-24-2015, 10:48 AM
Chef sorry to hear about your wife.

ChefC14
04-24-2015, 10:55 AM
Thank you.

leebo
04-24-2015, 07:05 PM
I'm nervous a little riding in a pack I have done it a lot but now I'm in my mid 60s and I know my reactions are not what they used to be so that's one reason I try to get in the back.

Bagger Dave
04-24-2015, 08:23 PM
Sorry to hear about your Wife, Chef

Moesride
04-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Same here Chef..... sorry to hear this about your wife !

ChefC14
04-25-2015, 07:33 AM
Thanks guys, she's a tough ol Polock , she'll fight this as long as she can.
Enough about that, back to the motorcycle shenanigans.