PDA

View Full Version : EBR closes shop

RedneckMedic
04-16-2015, 12:18 AM
http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/report-erik-buell-racing-shuts-down-files-for-receivership/

No more buell's for good now. So Sprink hang on to that puppy it's an endangered species. The short version is Buell filed for bankruptcy.

I still wish they would have stuck with harley.

Gas Man
04-16-2015, 10:08 AM
It's sad but you could see that coming as soon as HD dropped em. Sucks...

leebo
04-16-2015, 12:09 PM
Why did HD dropem?

Kosher
04-16-2015, 05:58 PM
Why did HD dropem?

Because Buells werent selling for shit. They bought Buell because they wanted to attract the sport bike crowd, but I dont think the sport bike crowd was ever very insterested in anything HD ever did anyway.

They also dumped MV Agusta too, same reason.

leebo
04-16-2015, 06:49 PM
Oh! Well that esplanes that!

ChefC14
04-18-2015, 11:03 AM
I think Harley was pissed that Buell started using the rotax engines too. The Buells were starting to garner attention. I think they were just a few years away from making a break out when Harley pulled the rug.

Gas Man
04-19-2015, 12:27 PM
If that's the case and that type of "breaking out" was going to happen, when Harley pulled the plug EBR should have been a great success. It wasn't... sadly.

Kosher
04-19-2015, 04:40 PM
If that's the case and that type of "breaking out" was going to happen, when Harley pulled the plug EBR should have been a great success. It wasn't... sadly.

The bike he put out was interesting, but way too much money. As an independent company, he couldnt tap in to the economy of scale that Harley could afford him - but that economy of scale by definition comes with compromises - use HD engines, parts, etc.

sprink
04-19-2015, 06:30 PM
I thought with all the money from that Indian motorcycle company that bought into EBR he would make it. Nice bikes at a too high price, but prices were bound to come down soon. I wish he had put out a lower end bike, but he went all balls with a superbike I wouldn't buy. Would love to have seen a bike like Ducati's monster series.

Gas Man
04-19-2015, 09:13 PM
I completely agree; the problem with EBR was the costs. They were way way too expensive and that's not even considering it against it's competition.

We won't get into how the 1200 didn't fit into the liter bike races.

ChefC14
04-20-2015, 12:31 AM
Harley kept his shit form that last bike he made with the Rotax, I can't remember what it was called. He couldn't use anything. He had to start from scratch.