PDA

View Full Version : Local chromer?

Kosher
02-13-2015, 09:39 PM
My front cylinder heat shield needs some touch up, V&H wants $222+S&H to replace it, I'm thinking re-chroming would be less expensive.

Any recommendations?

Gas Man
02-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Jeff has a powder that looks like chrome...

owl
02-14-2015, 09:06 AM
YO Gasman Who's Jeff and does he do powder coat? I have a fork lowers, I want to try chrome powder on and I'm unsure where to send them.

owl
02-14-2015, 09:12 AM
Kosher there was a shop in Waterford that did chrome plating but sadly when they changed owners the business went to hell. I will check with a friend this afternoon as he has auto parts plated.

Gas Man
02-14-2015, 11:30 AM
YO Gasman Who's Jeff and does he do powder coat? I have a fork lowers, I want to try chrome powder on and I'm unsure where to send them.

http://www.jpcoatings.com

Phone: (734) 915-5777
Email: jeffford15@hotmail.com

330 Detroit Avenue, Monroe Mi, 48161

His name is jeff, he's in monroe. Tell him I sent ya.

owl
02-14-2015, 06:10 PM
Thank you Chris

Kosher
02-15-2015, 10:02 AM
How well will this newfangled chrome powdercoat match with regular chrome?

Gas Man
02-15-2015, 10:54 AM
It depends on the type of chrome they do. Some chrome has a gold hue and some a blue hue.

horrorbusiness
02-16-2015, 11:11 AM
http://www.fini-finish.com.
They will not be cheaper than the replacement parts

Gas Man
02-16-2015, 01:12 PM
Thank you Chris
Oh and FYI

Jeff, is on vacation this week in Florida with his daughter. In case that handicaps his response time.

Moesride
02-18-2015, 08:27 PM
Keith, I'm inclined to agree with horrorb on cost of re-chrome compared to new. Not sure on this but you may not save much if any. What I can tell you and Jim is that the powder chrome will NOT match the real chrome. I had the Lambretta chrome powderd last summer by Jeff and it looks good for what it is, powder chrome. Definitely not chrome.
Heres a pic of the front bumper of the powder chrome and a pic of some chrome on m SG..........you be the judge. I do need to add that Jeffs workmanship with powder is outstanding!

Kosher
02-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Keith, I'm inclined to agree with horrorb on cost of re-chrome compared to new. Not sure on this but you may not save much if any. What I can tell you and Jim is that the powder chrome will NOT match the real chrome. I had the Lambretta chrome powderd last summer by Jeff and it looks good for what it is, powder chrome. Definitely not chrome.
Heres a pic of the front bumper of the powder chrome and a pic of some chrome on m SG..........you be the judge. I do need to add that Jeffs workmanship with powder is outstanding!

Ok, thanks Moe - all as I expected.

I might try to swing a D&D Fat Cat later this spring anyway, its only fucking money, eh?

Bagger Dave
02-19-2015, 10:45 AM
I might try to swing a D&D Fat Cat later this spring anyway, its only fucking money, eh?:lol: yep yep!

Gas Man
02-19-2015, 04:48 PM
Kosher is trying to be like AlHall now with his constant exhaust swapping. :lol:

alhall88
02-22-2015, 11:20 PM
I have almost as many ex wives as new pipes

owl
02-23-2015, 10:49 AM
Thanks Moe, I'm not trying to match the chrome on the bike, just want something more than the factory finish. My thinking is powder coat will last longer than what comes out of the factory.

Moesride
02-23-2015, 05:33 PM
I agree with you Jim on powder being more durable. I did my Dads scoot in powder chrome as I mentioned earlier and durability wise your dead on about this and it actually looks really nice since ALL the pieces on the scoot were chrome powdered. There is no real chrome on the scoot to compete with. Problem is the powder chrome doesn't resemble real chrome in the least bit to me. So if you have a bike with some actual chrome then add a piece or two of powder chrome, it just won't look right. Looks more like polished aluminum or some shit like that. Just my 2cents.