PDA

View Full Version : Chaps....

Moesride
12-31-2014, 03:44 PM
So I'm getting to the point that when spring rolls around I'm back on the bike... woohoo! It will be around a year and a half since I last rode. Having broken a dozen bones or so I'm a bit more conscious on adding more safety gear per say to my ride.
Definitely getting a better helmet along with wearing a leather or comparable jacket at all times along with gloves and so on.... you get the idea. What I'm getting at is if I go down, id like to minimize my odds of getting serious hurt.
So here's were the chaps come in. I've never owned a pair or worn a pair before but I'm seriously considering it now for reasons mentioned earlier plus keeps the legs warmer when temps drop.
Any input on this fellas ? What sucks about them what do you Like about them? No pirate BS either, I get that, its more of a safety thing at this 'point. What's a good brand on chaps? How do you buy for size? I'm just looking for the lowers ( pants) I have the rest. Thanks for your impute...... no pirate :plus1: shit spewing out of your A hole either..... thanks Gents.:cheers:

Gas Man
12-31-2014, 04:56 PM
Honestly with chaps... just get a cheap pair at one of these swap meets. Usually just go by waist size and you cut the legs to length.

RedneckMedic
12-31-2014, 09:25 PM
I get anything leather from A&M. I think the biggest decision is weather to zip or snap.

Kosher
12-31-2014, 11:57 PM
Leatherup.com

Moesride
01-01-2015, 05:43 AM
I'm a frequent at A&M Medic but some times ALs at top dollar for his merchandise. Grant it he doesn't sell junk but ill still check him out tomorrow just in case he has something at a good deal. Thanks for the info

Kosher.... is that where you bought the chaps I seen you wearing the other day.. Leatherup? What style and size were those? Thanks

Gas Man
01-01-2015, 11:51 AM
I think Al has some of the bottom end stuff as well.

MichDefender
01-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Try Fox Creek Leathers for quality Chaps. Their prices are higher, but the quality will last a lifetime.

Kosher
01-01-2015, 02:20 PM
I'm a frequent at A&M Medic but some times ALs at top dollar for his merchandise. Grant it he doesn't sell junk but ill still check him out tomorrow just in case he has something at a good deal. Thanks for the info

Kosher.... is that where you bought the chaps I seen you wearing the other day.. Leatherup? What style and size were those? Thanks

Nit sure what size, will look when I get home this weekend. They have a zip out liner, they zip up the side and 6 buttons near your ankle.

Ultra AL
01-01-2015, 05:10 PM
I think Al has some of the bottom end stuff as well.

I thought chaps were bottomless. :lmao:

horrorbusiness
01-01-2015, 07:45 PM
I thought chaps were bottomless. :lmao:
I'm not one to gossip , I hear someone had their chaps custom made with larger back door opening

detdrbuzzard
01-01-2015, 10:10 PM
I've got a like new pair of chaps in my closet. I've never had them altered and they have only been worn a few times, if you want them lets talk. wearing them my ass is cold when the temp is low. I like my over pants much better, I have two pair that I wear depending on the temp

Gas Man
01-02-2015, 12:03 AM
Fox leather makes great stuff.

A&M might have similar stuff or maybe even Fox stuff.

Fastfem24
01-03-2015, 01:37 PM
I got mine at Gibraltar Trade center in Mt Clemens at Sheridan s Leather. They fit them and sewn the bottoms to the length I wanted plus you could pick out quality of leather you want too

Kosher
01-03-2015, 02:51 PM
I got mine at Gibraltar Trade center in Mt Clemens at Sheridan s Leather. They fit them and sewn the bottoms to the length I wanted plus you could pick out quality of leather you want too

http://gibraltartrade.com/shardans

Bagger Dave
01-03-2015, 03:14 PM

http://gibraltartrade.com/shardans

I have the Power Trip Chaps....I took mine to Shardans and they sewn and fitted them and also added 2 more holes in the belt(with the metal eyelets)
back when I had the Big Dog, they also sewed on 2 Big Dog patches for me....1 on my vest and the other on my leather...which I no longer have...
Good place to go for sure...and they have a big selection and anything that is leather...

sprink
01-03-2015, 10:06 PM
Chaps might keep your legs warm, but won't really protect much in a fall. No pads/ armor in knee and nothing at all on your hips and ass. I would consider them comfort, not safety. Just my opinion of course.

Moesride
01-04-2015, 12:53 PM
You are correct on this sprink..My issue with real protective gear is it constraints me to much. Silly as it may sound, it just does.
Really appreciate all the feedback on this. I think im gong to take a ride up to the Trade Center / Sheridan this sat/sun and buy a fitted pair. Great idea, thanks a lot jess... gents!

bombdog
01-05-2015, 09:44 AM
I can't see myself in chaps if its that cold I put on thermals but I have never had cold legs riding.

Safety wise get the mesh HD jacket I have on and Gas has one they are actually cooler than just a T Shirt and you can get pads to put in them (sold separately of course) I don't wear mine much but it is comfy and not to expensive.

leebo
01-05-2015, 02:05 PM
I think leather chaps are great!they gotta help def can't hurt!but maybe not so much on the freeway where u need armor.but cruising around town where you might run in to the scrape factor leather is good.I have had my jeans shredded before, anyways one mans opinion.

Gas Man
01-05-2015, 10:13 PM
I'm a strong supporter of my mesh jacket. Don't believe? Allow me to show you (anyone) the mesh that I was wearing when I went down at 60mph. Saved my hide!!

Gas Man
01-05-2015, 10:14 PM
you could also get some "armor riding pants". They are offered in many brands.

GaugeMods
01-06-2015, 01:14 PM
I bought some really nice chaps, thick. Twice as thick as those ones you buy at events. You get what you pay for. They zip down the legs and are easy to put on. I bought them over in Grand Rapids and paid 225.00 for them, worth every penny. Thicker, warmer and more protection.