PDA

View Full Version : Forward Controls, yea or nay?

telecast
07-28-2009, 11:48 AM
My sporty is a bit cramped. I'm thinking about adding forwards, but am unsure how they'll ride with the (almost) drag bars on the bike. If I change the bars I'll get into a cable/wire issue which I'd like to avoid.

Before spending the $300+ on forwards I grabbed a set of used highway pegs off ebay for $40. Once I've ridden them a few times I should know if the forwards are going to work with the current bars or if semi-pullbacks will be required. If the setup is ok I should be able to get my $ back out of the pegs.

What about you guys? Anyone here using forwards and drags or other short bars? Do you like the setup?

The pegs should be here by Friday, I'll report back after a few trips.

Bob
07-28-2009, 06:34 PM
I'd like forward controls on my bike but only like one place makes them and they are over $600! Forward controls I like better but a lot of guys don't like them on a Sportsters because they like to be able to step on the pegs and get it to lean more into the corners.

telecast
08-03-2009, 09:22 AM
a lot of guys don't like them on a Sportsters because they like to be able to step on the pegs and get it to lean more into the corners.

The Custom models both come with forwards. I see for 2010 HD has eliminated the 883 custom, but the 1200 is still a current model. I think sportster riders are pretty diverse in what they want out of the bike. Some are more into performance, while others are more into cruising around.

At any rate, I borrowed a ramp from the neighbor to get over the curb and gutter and got the bike out yesterday with the highway bars on it. No contest, the bike feels a lot more open and much more comfortable. The mid controls are just too cramped for me. Probably my 51 year old joints!

One concern was if I'd need to swap handlebars. When I was test riding bikes I rode one with forwards and drag bars, that was just a bit too much reaching for me. The stock bars are back about 2" and are fine as is.

RoadZombie
08-10-2009, 12:57 AM
My 02 Deuce has drag bars and forwards. I wasn't sure about them together at first, but now wouldn't dream of changing it. Riding position is nice and stretched out without any cramping.

I'd say go for the forwards with the drag bars for a little while and just give 'em a chance. Like I said, I wasn't too sure about the combo at first either. It seems like it's something that grows on ya.

Rev
09-03-2009, 01:30 PM
What kind of bike do you have? I had the same problem on my Spirit 750 but found extension plates that work with stock controls for about $100. Scootmods on eBay. They make them for all different models as well.

telecast
09-03-2009, 03:20 PM
A Sportster. I put the highway pegs on it. Love them, but decided to hold off spending the $300 for forwards. I'll ride it the rest of the year as is, and hopefully next year will put the $300 towards my Road King.

SportstersPaul
11-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Hey, the cramping goes away after the first 50,000 miles, don't worry about the little stuff just get out and ride, or golf. Just found this site and had to say Hi, oh, and see you Sunday at "Broken Chain".

Bob
11-09-2009, 09:23 PM
Hey, the cramping goes away after the first 50,000 miles, don't worry about the little stuff just get out and ride, or golf. Just found this site and had to say Hi, oh, and see you Sunday at "Broken Chain".

Welcome to the site Paul!

telecast
11-09-2009, 11:29 PM
Paul's a dick, don't listen to him....

Actually, Paul is a guy with 57,000 miles on an '06 Sporty, and he rides his ass off. We've ridden together for the last two weeks. He's a good guy, even if he does have a penchant for finding born-again bike clubs.

Nice to see you here!

If you guys want to do some real riding, Paul does the Iron Butt rides.

This year: Detroit to New Orleans in 24 hours.

SportstersPaul
11-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Welcome to the site Paul!
Thank you, found out about it from Telecast and looking forward to participating, thanks again, ride safe.

SportstersPaul
11-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Paul's a dick, don't listen to him....

Actually, Paul is a guy with 57,000 miles on an '06 Sporty, and he rides his ass off. We've ridden together for the last two weeks. He's a good guy, even if he does have a penchant for finding born-again bike clubs.

Nice to see you here!

If you guys want to do some real riding, Paul does the Iron Butt rides.

This year: Detroit to New Orleans in 24 hours.
Hey, if I had known that you were curious about the forward controls you could have taken mine for a spin with it's highway pegs. But as I see you already put them on, oh well you probably would have dropped it anyway! :rolleyes: Did I say that? Okay pass the plate and Amen. :p (I'm practicing for your next ride.)

piratebloodsteve
11-30-2009, 02:18 PM
i have a 2007 xl 883c sportster.im tall ,but love the forward controls.dont have a problem with the handlebars.had a problem with the seat.great bike, tour alot on it.

Bob
11-30-2009, 06:26 PM
i have a 2007 xl 883c sportster.im tall ,but love the forward controls.dont have a problem with the handlebars.had a problem with the seat.great bike, tour alot on it.
Welcome to the forums man!