PDA

View Full Version : Wife rescued a Cooper's hawk today - with video!

CnA
11-06-2014, 07:42 PM
She was driving to the Ypsilanti Library and saw a bird standing by at the side of the road. She circled back, saw it was a hawk, then got her raincoat to wrap the hawk and take it in the truck. She felt bad for the bird sitting in the rain on the side of the road.

The hawk was very calm the whole time and showed no fear or aggressive behavior. First she took it to a vet nearby and freaked out the staff with a wild hawk. They told her to take it to the Humane Society. She held the hawk in her arm the whole trip, and when she got to the Humane Society, they freaked out also. They brought towels and leather gloves and my wife had to tell them it's OK, the hawk is really calm.

The hawk will be taken to Howell, MI to an animal rehab center. Unfortunately, the hawk can't be returned to the wild since the right eye is gone and there is no more depth perception.

http://youtu.be/KZb9mWsq84U

Caveman
11-06-2014, 08:25 PM
really awesome that she was brave enough to pickup a wounded bird of prey like that and cared enough to seek aid for the animal. too bad that the poor creature will never know the freedom of open sky as it will have to probably be hand fed for rest of its life. I love to watch hawks and falcons near the power plant here as it is a wild nature preserve and we have all manner of bird and other beast. We even have about 3 pairs of bald eagles as well. But at least the poor thing is suffering any more. I wonder how it got injured in the first place.

Moesride
11-06-2014, 09:28 PM
Great story, great people... thanks for that.

Gas Man
11-06-2014, 10:21 PM
Your wife is awesome Chuck. Way to go for her. That's so good. Is there any way to keep tabs on the bird's recovery?

bombdog
11-07-2014, 09:15 AM
That's Awesome!! If it stays that calm it will probably get to travel around to schools and other functions to raise money for the Rescue.

CnA
11-07-2014, 09:35 AM
Your wife is awesome Chuck. Way to go for her. That's so good. Is there any way to keep tabs on the bird's recovery?

It will be at the Howell Nature Center and we will check up on it to see how it's doing.

http://howellnaturecenter.org/wildlife/wildlife-rehabilitation/

Bagger Dave
11-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Awesome!

Gas Man
11-07-2014, 11:54 AM
That's Awesome!! If it stays that calm it will probably get to travel around to schools and other functions to raise money for the Rescue.

Good idea... that would be a cool thing.

CnA
11-07-2014, 08:43 PM
Just got bad news. The hawk had to be put down. The eye infection had spread and he was too weak to recover. He had gone without food for a while and was very underweight. Probably why he was so docile.

My tenderhearted wife was crying. She wrote this on Facebook,

"I wished that I could have been there to say goodbye. Even just a short time that I spent with him, he captured my heart. I felt that he was such a wonderful hawk. He gave me such a joy and I will never forget you, Mr. Lost. I'll see you later in the heaven till then say 'hello' to my Father, Dad and mom Cole for me."

Gas Man
11-07-2014, 09:47 PM
That's sucks chuck.

Moesride
11-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Yah, sucks for sure. Sorry man.

Bagger Dave
11-08-2014, 10:44 AM
Sorry to hear Chuck...

Klimoman
11-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Sad ending to a great story.... :(