PDA

View Full Version : Ok cleaning/polishing experts......

telecast
07-25-2009, 09:39 AM
Explain this:

The primary cover, sprocket cover, rocker covers, etc. on my Sporty supposedly have a protective coating over them to 'keep them shiny'. We all know how well that works.

Why is it when I clean them up with Mother's M&A polish I get oxidation and they get a nice, deep shine? What kind of coating is this? It seems if they were coated the Mother's wouldn't have any effect.

Bob
07-25-2009, 11:59 AM
When you say "oxidation" what exactly is happening? I'm guessing either it has no coating or it's just a regular clear coat. Oh, and if it has/had a coating you DON'T want to use a Mag and Aluminum polish. You might of actually stripped the coating off.

telecast
07-25-2009, 12:50 PM
When you say "oxidation" what exactly is happening? I'm guessing either it has no coating or it's just a regular clear coat. Oh, and if it has/had a coating you DON'T want to use a Mag and Aluminum polish. You might of actually stripped the coating off.

The rag turns black as I rub.

I know the coating might wear off over time, but what can I use to shine the parts without affecting it?

Bob
07-25-2009, 09:18 PM
i think it's just turning black because you are using the mag cleaner. The coating is nothing more than a clear coat. The same used on paint. So use anything that is made for paint and clear and you'll be fine.

telecast
07-26-2009, 09:40 AM
I'll give it a shot. It doesn't appear to be a plastic or paint type coating, I really can't see any coating at all. There aren't any dark marks or blotches like you'd expect to see with a coating that's 9 years old.

Bob
07-26-2009, 12:03 PM
I'll give it a shot. It doesn't appear to be a plastic or paint type coating, I really can't see any coating at all. There aren't any dark marks or blotches like you'd expect to see with a coating that's 9 years old.

If you ever want to bring it by I can always look at it for you.

telecast
07-26-2009, 02:40 PM
Sounds like a plan! I'm in the middle of a cabinet build right now that I need to get out. Unfortunately it's taking all of my ride time away. :mad:

Another weekend and I should be all set.