PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storage

leebo
10-07-2014, 09:52 PM
So I plan on putting my bike in storage end of this month which is usual for me.Im pretty lucky my old boss lets me keep my bike in the shop garage which is heated.So now I start my winter woodworking jobs got a couple of picture frames to make and a couple of boxs To give out at christmas.When do you guys store your bikes?

Bagger Dave
10-07-2014, 09:56 PM
I usually ride my bike until they start salting the roads...usually sometime in Dec. is when I put mine up...but if the roads are clean...I will still ride...

Moesride
10-07-2014, 10:19 PM
Well, I'm stored already Lee but typically ill ride till the salt flies and I've been known to ride even after that on a pick and choose basis. Heating my garage this year as well so bike and I will be comfy .

leebo
10-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Well, I'm stored already Lee but typically ill ride till the salt flies and I've been known to ride even after that on a pick and choose basis. Heating my garage this year as well so bike and I will be comfy .Were you able to get out this year?

Moesride
10-07-2014, 10:30 PM
Unfortunately I have not Lee. I'm healing very well but I think ill wait till spring at this point. This way I'm surely at 100% to go. Thanks for asking my friend.

leebo
10-07-2014, 11:34 PM
Unfortunately I have not Lee. I'm healing very well but I think ill wait till spring at this point. This way I'm surely at 100% to go. Thanks for asking my friend.Good for you moe!you will be rarin to go by then!

Gas Man
10-08-2014, 08:28 AM
I just store mine in the garage where it usually parks. I much like already stated, will "keep it out" till the salt flies. I don't like to ride under 35* for icy reasons but typically just the salt keeps me from riding. I may try somin else this year... due to low miles this year on my oil, I may just not "winterize" it this winter. We shall see....

Kosher
10-08-2014, 10:40 AM
I'm getting a 25K service done on Friday, that will do for "winterizing", but I'll still try to get out at least 1X/month through the winter as I always try to do.

leebo
10-08-2014, 10:53 AM
When you guyz say winterize what does that include,I usually just winterize (seafoam)my tank and thats it.

Gas Man
10-09-2014, 09:09 AM
seafoam, bath, wax, and oil change service....

leebo
10-09-2014, 09:30 AM
Filter too? And is changing the oil reccomended or just something u do?

Moesride
10-09-2014, 11:52 AM
Guess it would depend on when your last oil change was Lee keeping in mind how many miles you racked up since. Personally, I change all fluids, filter and add foam to the gas before every winter storage. I just like to start out with a fresh bike in the spring time.
Along the same lines for winter storage, I added 1 1/2" insulation to the garage door plus extended my NG line to the garage and installed this Mr Heater 30,000 BTU blue flame heater . Has a blower and thermostat build in. Gonna keep the garage relatively heated this winter since ill be in it a lot.

leebo
10-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Well i usually put about 2500 miles on my bike in a summer.I did oil (synthetic)chg & filter @ summer start,should i chg my oil now or wait for next summer?

Moesride
10-09-2014, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't bother with any change with only 2500 since your last oil and filter change. I think your good to go till next year. Top the tank off, throw some seafoam in it ride it for a couple miles put it on a tender and your good to go.

leebo
10-09-2014, 01:01 PM
Thanks Moe.also I like your idea about changing some of the fluids to.I just did a brake job on it so i will prob change those fluids.

Gas Man
10-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Yeah like Moe said... usually a filter and all. But I try to plan it at a service interval. This year because I didn't do shit for miles I may just leave it. After all I do have Amsoil in it...

Good job there Moe, that will help allot. Almost the exact same setup I have.

Ultra AL
10-10-2014, 08:17 AM
What about the tires? Do you get it up on a jackstand so the tires don't develop flat spots? Or do you regularly roll the wheels a bit? Check air pressure often? Or just ignore?

leebo
10-10-2014, 09:58 AM
What about the tires? Do you get it up on a jackstand so the tires don't develop flat spots? Or do you regularly roll the wheels a bit? Check air pressure often? Or just ignore?Good call al.I usually move my bike around in the garage 4 or 5 times over a winter because they are usually workin on snomobiles out there.

Bagger Dave
10-10-2014, 04:35 PM
What about the tires? Do you get it up on a jackstand so the tires don't develop flat spots? Or do you regularly roll the wheels a bit? Check air pressure often? Or just ignore?
I keep my bike on my center stand....

RedneckMedic
10-10-2014, 05:17 PM
I usually just tender and seafoam and do my changes at regular intervals. However this year will work out that in the spring Ill need a fluid change as well as a new front and hopefully I can go to a 21 up front. only time will tell

leebo
10-10-2014, 07:59 PM
I keep my bike on my center stand....I want a centerstand! Maybe this winter i will find one.

Gas Man
10-11-2014, 08:42 AM
I don't worry about the tires. I use to but then I didn't and therefor haven't in about 10 years. No ill effects.

leebo
10-12-2014, 06:41 PM
I don't worry about the tires. I use to but then I didn't and therefor haven't in about 10 years. No ill effects.Do you store on cement floor or wood?

Moesride
10-12-2014, 08:52 PM
I agree with G.......don't think it matters Lee. Concrete, wood ,whatever. Ive personally never had an issue and my bikes have usually stored either on the concrete or the metal deck of the lift. No issues.

Tazman
10-13-2014, 09:42 AM
Ruby has a center stand and I use it a lot when working on or cleaning her. But as far as storage I have never worried about it and never had an issue with tires either.

leebo
10-13-2014, 11:59 AM
Ruby has a center stand and I use it a lot when working on or cleaning her. But as far as storage I have never worried about it and never had an issue with tires either.Yep i need to find one of them centerstands!maybe if i can find one this winter chris will give me a hand on the install. (Hint hint)next spring.

Gas Man
10-13-2014, 12:57 PM
Yeah I haven't noticed a difference on concrete wood or metal lift.

Kosher
10-13-2014, 01:23 PM
Yeah I haven't noticed a difference on concrete wood or metal lift.

Most years I just park my bike in my garage on the cement floor. Some years I've put it up on the jack. I actually prefer the jack (truthfully not sure why, I think it has to do with some of the folklore about tires and cement), but leaving it on the jack has its risks as well. When I put it on the jack, I leave it on the safety stops, remove the pressure from the bottle jack, then close the jack valve as an extra safety precaution. Thats what J&S recommends anyway.

I might just buy a couple of cheap rubber mats from autozone....

owl
10-13-2014, 02:04 PM
Put new tires on each spring and you shouldn't have to worry. OR purchase a new motorcycle every spring and keep the foreign economy's strong.

Gas Man
10-13-2014, 03:22 PM
I've done the same thing Kosher... and have never found any difference. Now my only bike will be the ultra and it will be on the lift period... no other place for it.

Kosher
10-13-2014, 08:00 PM
http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/lifehacker/vip/~3/iAa4007TVqg/prepare-your-motorcycle-for-winter-with-help-from-this-1645040165

leebo
10-13-2014, 10:43 PM
Good one keith.looks like ill be puttin her in storage last week of this month.like the idea of the rubber mats prob do that along with pluggin the pipes

Kosher
10-14-2014, 12:01 AM
I thought it was kinda funny, I don't do 98% of that sh1t.

Gas Man
10-14-2014, 11:04 AM
I do most of that stuff. I don't plug the pipes but it hasn't been an issue. We've discussed the tires... otherwise I do most of that and then some.

This winter I think I'm not going to do anything. :lol:

leebo
10-14-2014, 11:44 AM
for me plugging the pipes takes about a minute.and I remember a car I let sit for a winter once that wouldnt start till i cleaned out a squirrel nest in the aircleaner so no biggy.

Moesride
10-19-2014, 07:51 AM
Yep i need to find one of them centerstands!maybe if i can find one this winter chris will give me a hand on the install. (Hint hint)next spring.

Lee... this thread had me picking up an ez up wheel dock center stand the other day. Ive been on the fence on this since I didn't want to spend the money for it. Just so happened that a guy on Flea bay had one installed on his RG custom in Sturgis 2014. He ended up selling the bike and took the center stand off before the sale. He bought a 2012 Ultra and the stand wouldn't work for him since it was to short for that style bike. So here I come with a Perfect lowered fit SG with a price I couldn't pass up. This is going to work great for storage and riding season. Keep an eye out on flea bay Lee, you may run into a deal such as I did.

leebo
10-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Lee... this thread had me picking up an ez up wheel dock center stand the other day. Ive been on the fence on this since I didn't want to spend the money for it. Just so happened that a guy on Flea bay had one installed on his RG custom in Sturgis 2014. He ended up selling the bike and took the center stand off before the sale. He bought a 2012 Ultra and the stand wouldn't work for him since it was to short for that style bike. So here I come with a Perfect lowered fit SG with a price I couldn't pass up. This is going to work great for storage and riding season. Keep an eye out on flea bay Lee, you may run into a deal such as I did.Good idea moe.I just setup a saved search on ebay for one so will see how it goes.thanks again my friend!

Firetaz419
10-19-2014, 12:43 PM
This winter will keep me busy with bikes... Ill be changing all the fluids on my bike and tires, and both my roommates bikes. Also ill be wiring LEDs onto all 3 bikes and some aftermarket parts on the old 636. Hopefully working on the bikes will keep the itch of riding away at least postpone it till closer to the end of winter... we shall see! I keep the 3 bikes in my garage, on a carpeted floor inside my finished heated garage :)

leebo
10-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Im keeping mine @ my old shop so i wont see it that often.I kinda go into christmas mode after I store my bike.Will probably start tweakin it in January.

Gas Man
10-21-2014, 07:51 PM
The ole out of sight, out of mind routine...

leebo
11-04-2014, 01:59 PM
Got the bike stored next to the boss's screamin eagle