PDA

View Full Version : What tire brand do you run?

Gas Man
09-16-2014, 08:05 AM
I have for years just ran HD Dunlops. On the chop I ran Avons, the rocket had Michilin Pilot Powers...

But let's just discuss what you run now...

Vote on what you run now and post us why.

meinschaft
09-16-2014, 09:54 AM
Just bought my third pair of Michelin Pilot Road 2CTs. Great handling, no ass-puckering surprises, 8K+ treadware. I thought about the PR3s and PR4s but have seen them do weird wear/cupping patterns on the front tires.

Mudpuppy
09-16-2014, 11:52 AM
Ran Bridgestone S20s and they were good - good grip, good ride, bad mileage. So running Michelin PR4s now and they are BAD ASS.

Kosher
09-16-2014, 12:06 PM
I believe Dunlop is the only company making rubber for Agitator rims, but I could be wrong. I got my front replaced in a bit of a hurry (D408F, I think), I'd like to see if Dunlop American Elites are available for these rims

Dagnabit
09-16-2014, 01:04 PM
Switched the stock Dunlops out for metzler 888's. 2k miles on them and i like them so far. Review were pretty positive from most of the sites and forums i checked so I decided to take a chance on them. The handling is better than the stock tires i replaced, but im going to hold off final judgement until i see how many miles i get out of them.

leebo
09-16-2014, 01:25 PM
I use metzler 2nd pair no complaints.

RedneckMedic
09-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Ive had the stock dunlops on now for about 15000 miles and don't have any issues with them but wouldn't mind trying something different when there done

detdrbuzzard
09-16-2014, 08:32 PM
Dunlop e-3's on both wings but thinking about trying michilins on the 1500 wing next tire change

Bagger Dave
09-17-2014, 06:35 AM
I also ran Avon Cobra's on the Chop....
running the stock Dunlop's on the Harley....will probably go with the Dunlop Elite's when it comes time that I need tires

Gas Man
09-17-2014, 07:41 AM
Yeah I had to correct my statement... dunlops on the HD... been thru 834 sets for reasons I can't mention. They are good. Decent grip wet and dry, mileage seems decent so I'm not sure what people complaign about with the HD dunlops.

owl
09-17-2014, 09:09 AM
I installed Dunlop Elite III’s on an Electra Glide and thought they were great. They changed the ride for the better and improved the handling. I have Dunlop American Elite’s on my Road Glide and wouldn’t want anything else. The ride is somewhat harsh but handling and traction improvements more than make up for the ride. With over 9000 miles I had a flat on the rear tire. 9000+miles and this tire showed less than 50% wear.

Kosher
09-17-2014, 09:12 AM
Yeah I had to correct my statement... dunlops on the HD... been thru 834 sets for reasons I can't mention. They are good. Decent grip wet and dry, mileage seems decent so I'm not sure what people complaign about with the HD dunlops.

The other thing that amuses me is when people go from Tire/mfg X to Tire/mfg Y and say "I can't believe the difference". Well of course, your old tires were worn out.

RedneckMedic
09-17-2014, 10:13 AM
the other thing that amuses me is when people go from tire/mfg x to tire/mfg y and say "i can't believe the difference". Well of course, your old tires were worn out.

this

sfcusaret2004
09-17-2014, 10:29 PM
ran stock Dunlops on the road glide ultra for 15k. The rear started cupping at 7.5k. Not a safety issue but noisier than necessary, still 15k is pretty good mileage. Went with Dunlop American Elites the second time around and so far (250 miles) I love 'em. softer ride, better traction wet and dry. Only time and miles will determining longevity. am planning a trip up north soon and a trip to Texas shortly thereafter. will post impressions when I return, but so far a great replacement and better than stock rubber.

sfcusaret2004
09-17-2014, 10:34 PM
The other thing that amuses me is when people go from Tire/mfg X to Tire/mfg Y and say "I can't believe the difference". Well of course, your old tires were worn out.

While that sounds reasonable Kosher, The fact that I put 15,000 a year on the bike and its tires, I can tell the difference between the old tires and the new ones immediately and the difference isn't just because the new ones are new. I can certainly remember what the bike felt like when I rolled ot off the showroom floor on both sets of tires. Now for those who only do say 2500 mile a year, it may be different.

Gas Man
09-18-2014, 09:11 PM
That makes a good point kosher.

owl... what is so "harsh" about the American Elites.

Kosher
09-18-2014, 09:15 PM
There's a new version of American Elites out now. "2nd generation", not sure when they started shipping

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/2nd-generation-american-elite/

owl
09-19-2014, 09:48 AM
Harsh, not as soft and cushy as the OEM's. I had 8000 miles on the Harley tires when I changed to the American Elite's, and the difference was noticeable.

Gas Man
09-19-2014, 09:54 AM
So less cushy but better traction in wet and dry.

owl
09-19-2014, 10:17 AM
You got it, Gas Man. I would purchase another set of American Elites when the tire comes, or perhaps the II's.

sprink
09-19-2014, 04:20 PM
I had a couple sets of Metzler 880 on the sporty and liked them. Last set got some cracking I didn't like the looks of. I went with the Dunlop American Elite at a good price and MADE IN USA. Like them so far. I think they ride softer than the 880s. They did fine down on the dragon, but so did the 88os. No trouble in the rain with either. I really just went for MADE IN USA and have not been disappointed.

On the Buell I put Michelin Pilot Powers on. They were nice but didn't last long. I didn't expect them to though. The front cupped but I am not sure the cause. I was looking at PR4s as a replacement, but may opt for Dunlops for the Buell as well. Made in USA means a lot to me.

Gas Man
09-20-2014, 05:00 PM
That is sweet!!! I'm so happy to see manufacturing returning to the states.

bombdog
09-22-2014, 11:53 AM
I went with the stock Dunlop again never had complaints about them. I got it at the beginning of the season had 15k on them the front was fine and the dealer had them for $197 installed. I really wanted to keep the same tire on front and back so may consider Michilin next time.

Kosher
09-22-2014, 01:37 PM
I went with the stock Dunlop again never had complaints about them. I got it at the beginning of the season had 15k on them the front was fine and the dealer had them for $197 installed. I really wanted to keep the same tire on front and back so may consider Michilin next time.

Which dealer - ABC?

bombdog
09-22-2014, 02:11 PM
No it was Brighton but that was a few months ago. I do think Motor City just ran a similar deal.

Tazman
09-25-2014, 08:24 PM
I actually run a Stone on the front but my Michelin Alpin car tire on the rear.