PDA

View Full Version : baby needs new shoes!

sfcusaret2004
09-04-2014, 03:55 PM
Anyone in the Howell area that has the tools and know how to replace the front and rear rubber on a 13 Road Glide Ultra? I can get a pair of Dunlop American Elite 2's from DK for about $335.00 delivered to my house, just debating if I want to tackle this project or let the dealer put 'em on for a bill apiece. Any suggestions?

Gas Man
09-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Well to what level do you want to get involved?

I have done it many times, where I take the rim off the bike and carry it into the shop for tire mounting.

That being said, most shops are keen to this. They usually will work a deal on rubber and the mounting cheaper or free if you buy the rubber from them. I know my HD dealer often gives free mounting if you buy the rubber from them. So even if they are more money on the rubber the total bill is usually cheaper.

owl
09-09-2014, 06:30 AM
I think you want American Elite tires. Dunlop made that tire for the big tire Harleys. I'm not sure Elite III's are made in the 180 size. I have American Elite tires on my RG, and after 9000 miles they show very little wear. They work great in the rain and give a good ride. I had Elite III on my Electra Glide with no complaints.

Just my thoughts
Jim

sfcusaret2004
09-09-2014, 07:33 PM
Think I'm gonna let the dealer do it this time, but recently saw a video where they used a car , flat stock and a 2x4 to break the bead, then used x-lg zip ties to compress the tire to get it off the rim and put the new one on. Not sure if i want to go this route until the ESP is out on the 'Glide. Was kinda hoping there was someone on the forum that had a tire and wheel machine to get the rubber off the rim, and a lift to get the bike off the ground. I can always bring the post wrenching micro brew! The wrenching looks straight forward enough, but with the ABS sensors, I don't want to screw anything up by jury rigging a hoist and tweaking something because i don't have the proper tools. Guess I'll have to wait until I can talk the wife into the investment so I can do my own labor. Thanks for the info though, and yes, they are the American Elite's. got a great price from DK.

sprink
09-09-2014, 08:26 PM
I bought the American elites for my sportster for $226 shipped from DK. I brought the wheels in to Honda Suzuki of Warren and they mounted for $40 a wheel. Had them do the Buell wheels last year.

A local shop told me $220 for just a front Metzler and $40 or 50 to mount it!

Got tires from Michelle at Profile Performance when they were on my side of town. They are in Canton now in the old Honda dealer on Michigan ave. Good price on tires and free mounting once, $10 the other time.

Have to carry the rims in or it will really cost you for mounting!

Klimoman
09-09-2014, 10:08 PM
I think you want American Elite tires. Dunlop made that tire for the big tire Harleys. I'm not sure Elite III's are made in the 180 size. I have American Elite tires on my RG, and after 9000 miles they show very little wear. They work great in the rain and give a good ride. I had Elite III on my Electra Glide with no complaints.

Just my thoughts
Jim

i have the American Elites on my UC and I am pleased with them as well.

sfcusaret2004
09-10-2014, 09:08 AM
I paid $135 for the front and 185 for the rear at DK. 40 bucks cheaper that J&P gold and over a bill apiece from the dealer. So with teh savings, gonna let the shop deal with 'em while getting the 15000 mile svc. 2 birds one stone!

bombdog
09-10-2014, 09:53 AM
I PAYED $197 a few months ago at Brighton for a Dunlop mounted.

sfcusaret2004
09-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Just an update on the new shoes. Went with the Dunlop American Eagles front and rear and man, what a difference! these tires are miles ahead of the OEM Dunlops. They feel softer over the bumps and have tons more grip in the twisties. For the first couple hundred miles, I am more than pleased. Now, if they live up to the mileage claim, I will be totally satisfied!

Mudpuppy
09-15-2014, 03:30 PM
I just picked up a set of Pilot Road 4s. HOLY SHIT are these tires sweet. In the dry they are grippy as hell - fully tested on US421, US129, US28, US143, etc. etc. All the way to the edge. No issues at "cruising" speed. And then came the fun part. Blood Mountain IN THE FUCKING RAIN at "cruising" speed. Now cruising speed in the rain I am talking 80-90% of dry cruising speed. Gripped like hell not a bobble once in 1,000 miles of wet and dry. Amazing tires. Maybe not track day material but for extended street mileage unless they come out with tires that have dinner ready when you get home from riding I am riding PR4s on the street. FTW!