PDA

View Full Version : What gasoline do you run?

Gas Man
08-29-2014, 10:13 AM
I have always ran premium in my bikes... they usually always need it though..

you?

leebo
08-29-2014, 11:04 AM
always 89 min.or it sounds like a 70 vw on ethanol

RedneckMedic
08-29-2014, 05:42 PM
I always run premium and avoid the pumps that have the signs stating "this much ethanol", The harley calls for it and so does my sled so thats what I run. I do know a lot of people who run regular unleaded in vehicles that recommend a higher octane rating.

Tazman
08-29-2014, 08:23 PM
Gold Wing calls for 87 octane and that's what I run. Purrs like a kitten. I do run Seafoam through it regularly though.

Bagger Dave
08-29-2014, 08:31 PM
I always run premium in my bike and also when I had my snowmobile...dirt bike...jet ski...and 4 wheeler!

detdrbuzzard
08-30-2014, 04:59 PM
the wings run on 87 but I usually put mid-grade fuel in them

Mudpuppy
09-03-2014, 11:14 AM
My R6 was tuned for 89 and I ran 89. The R1 is tuned for anything so it runs shitty on anything less than 93. Sometimes I'll throw a half gallon of turbo blue in there - track days, hocking hills, deals gap, etc.

VERY IMPORTANT THOUGH - to your wallet anyways. KNOW EXACTLY what your bike is tuned for. If it is tuned for 87 and you run 93 you are wasting money.

And kids just because a car or truck says "Flex Fuel" doesn't mean you should ever, under any circumstances, run E85. Junk through and through. Fucks up the engine and kills your gas mileage. Gasman give them the low down please. I love the Gas master's incredibly detailed posts about gasoline and how it's made, works, etc. I'm all about the details and learning new things.

Gas Man
09-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Bottom line on E85 is that your MPG goes to hell because there are less BTU's in ethonal than in gasoline. That means it has to burn a bunch more to make even close to similar power.

That being said, I know a bunch of people on the interwebz that tune their turbo cars to run on E85 because you can get a higher octane.

Mudpuppy
09-03-2014, 11:33 AM
They tune their cars to run E85 for higher octane? You lost me?

Gas Man
09-03-2014, 11:56 AM
The 85 is the % not the octane. Remember ethonal has a 110-114 octane rating.

Mudpuppy
09-03-2014, 12:38 PM
The 85 is the % not the octane. Remember ethonal has a 110-114 octane rating.

No I did not know that. So for E85 it means 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline? And then for 87, 89, 91, 92, 93 that is the octane rating? Damn I learned something new - gold star for Gasman today. So now either you can post up an explanation of octane or I can google it - I much prefer your knowledge over random google searches.

Gas Man
09-03-2014, 03:55 PM
octane is the resistance of the gasoline to detonation. The higher the octane number the more resistance it is to explode. The reason this is important comes into play with higher compression, more timing advance, and hotter spark, both of which cause more heat in the combustion chamber. The heat ignites the gasoline. When we increase compression or want to delay the spark with more timing the gasoline needs to resist exploding till the moment we want it to on the compression stroke. We don't want it to explode till just before the piston reaches the top of the stroke in the cylinder. So we have a smaller space to have a big explosion, which creates mega more down force which equals more power. So in a high power setup motor, 87 octane might explode (detitinate) let's say 1" before we want, that will create less power and make that pre-detinatoion pinging noise. So we run 93 in it to get that resistance to explode so we can get that piston up another .75" in the stroke. MO POWER.

When you are dealing with ethenol, understand that all your mixes are different now. For the most part all your mid-grades are blended at the gas station pump. The gas station only has a regular and a prem tank.

The gas being blended with Ethenol when the semi truck is filled, the same time the additives are added. Years ago they use to blend the Ethenol with 87 octane. But then they figured out well, that actually makes like 90 octane all the time. blend 90% 87 octane with 10% 114 octane = 89.7 octane = they gave away 2 points. So now they make 84 octane. Do the math there and it comes out to 87.

So what some of these tuner guys are doing is... first upgrading all their seals to deal with higher octane.
%% octane
.85 * 114 = 96.9
.15 * 84 = 12.6
==109.5 octane

It allows them to crank up compression and timing and everything. They basically get turbo blue ($8 a gallon) octane for $2.50 a gallon. Now they may burn thru it twice as fast but that's still 30% cheaper.

Your average mid sized sedan that can pull 26-30mpg on reg gas, will pull like 17-20 on E85. So while you spend less money per gallon, you eat those savings in burning it much faster, therefore going thru much more. The savings is null. So then ask yourself, why...???... If it's to save the world, you're failing.

Gasoline is shipped via pipelines all over the country. Ehtonal isn't. it is transported from that refinery to trucking tank farms, like where I work, in semi at usually 10,500 gallons per truck (lower than our michigan 10 axle trucks that can acarry 13,500 gallons). So think about the diesel that it took to farm the corn, then to truck it to the reinery, then to haul it to the tank farm. It's not saving any world, is what I'm saying.

Ok, I must go to bed now for I have used up many a brain cell on this lengthy explanation...

Ultra AL
09-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Yea - seems I remember reading somewhere that in order for E85 to be worth using (economically) it needed to be 30% cheaper at the pump than what you would normally use due to the decreased mileage you get with the E85. I've had vehicles with the capability to use E85, but I can't ever recall it being cheap enough to be worth using. I've never tried it.

Gas Man
09-03-2014, 11:22 PM
The only time it helps you is if you have a rental with that capability, fill it up before you return it...

But it is bad karma

Mudpuppy
09-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Dood gasman that was awesome once again you don't fail to intrigue me with your intense detailed knowledge of gasoline. I had no idea. Learned another new thing today. I was assuming octane was the opposite - as in the ability to burn hotter (ish). Like liquor is 40 proof or 80 proof, etc.

E85 is a joke - you brushed on some good points. I could add a million more - that much I do know. In the end it drives up our food costs and everything else. It's a joke and it's another profit invention by the elitist cabal marketed to the sheep under "it's good for the environment".

Gas Man
09-04-2014, 04:08 PM
Glad I could be of service....

Ultra AL
09-04-2014, 06:33 PM
Dood gasman that was awesome once again you don't fail to intrigue me with your intense detailed knowledge of gasoline."

And I always thought he went by the Gasman moniker because of his constant intake of Mexican food.

Larry64
09-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Another problem with E-85 is the flex fuel vehicles themselves. There are many compromises made with the EFI tuning and injectors. If the engine was built to only run E-85 it would be better on fuel and maybe have some savings. Then the problem is fuel availability. Gasman is right, diesel fuel to plant it, pick it, truck it, make it and truck it again.....it just don't add up...:wtf:

RedneckMedic
09-04-2014, 11:58 PM
I did it one time. My tank was low and decided to give it a $20 try and couldn't make it out to ypsi. I said never again. 20 bucks of regular pump fuel would have gotten me farther.

Kosher
09-05-2014, 08:39 AM
octane is the resistance of the gasoline to detonation. The higher the octane number the more resistance it is to explode. The reason this is important comes into play with higher compression, more timing advance, and hotter spark, both of which cause more heat in the combustion chamber. The heat ignites the gasoline. When we increase compression or want to delay the spark with more timing the gasoline needs to resist exploding till the moment we want it to on the compression stroke. We don't want it to explode till just before the piston reaches the top of the stroke in the cylinder. So we have a smaller space to have a big explosion, which creates mega more down force which equals more power. So in a high power setup motor, 87 octane might explode (detitinate) let's say 1" before we want, that will create less power and make that pre-detinatoion pinging noise. So we run 93 in it to get that resistance to explode so we can get that piston up another .75" in the stroke. MO POWER.

When you are dealing with ethenol, understand that all your mixes are different now. For the most part all your mid-grades are blended at the gas station pump. The gas station only has a regular and a prem tank.

The gas being blended with Ethenol when the semi truck is filled, the same time the additives are added. Years ago they use to blend the Ethenol with 87 octane. But then they figured out well, that actually makes like 90 octane all the time. blend 90% 87 octane with 10% 114 octane = 89.7 octane = they gave away 2 points. So now they make 84 octane. Do the math there and it comes out to 87.

So what some of these tuner guys are doing is... first upgrading all their seals to deal with higher octane.
%% octane
.85 * 114 = 96.9
.15 * 84 = 12.6
==109.5 octane

It allows them to crank up compression and timing and everything. They basically get turbo blue ($8 a gallon) octane for $2.50 a gallon. Now they may burn thru it twice as fast but that's still 30% cheaper.

Your average mid sized sedan that can pull 26-30mpg on reg gas, will pull like 17-20 on E85. So while you spend less money per gallon, you eat those savings in burning it much faster, therefore going thru much more. The savings is null. So then ask yourself, why...???... If it's to save the world, you're failing.

Gasoline is shipped via pipelines all over the country. Ehtonal isn't. it is transported from that refinery to trucking tank farms, like where I work, in semi at usually 10,500 gallons per truck (lower than our michigan 10 axle trucks that can acarry 13,500 gallons). So think about the diesel that it took to farm the corn, then to truck it to the reinery, then to haul it to the tank farm. It's not saving any world, is what I'm saying.

Ok, I must go to bed now for I have used up many a brain cell on this lengthy explanation...

The other point about detonation (pinging) is that in addition to loss of power, if your engine pings alot over a long period of time, it can damage your pistons.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ping+damage&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=tKAJVIn4BciHyATd3oCIDw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAg&biw=1440&bih=838#tbm=isch&q=ping+piston+damage

horrorbusiness
09-05-2014, 08:52 AM
Ethyl if she's working.