PDA

View Full Version : Titleing a out of state Bike

hasgunwilltravel
08-26-2014, 06:59 PM
Hey guys, first time poster, long time reader.

My question is, I am going out to Wisconsin today to purchase a CBR from a Veteran, and he moved to WI from Vermont. The bike is registered from Vermont, and Vermont does not issue titles for bikes older than 15 years, or some such thing. It is registered to the current owner. However, that being said, because of Vermont's laws, the bike does not have a title, but the registration has some sort of transfer of ownership lines on the back of the registration....

Has anyone had to title a bike in MI, that was purchased out of state, with no title, but that is currently registered, and up to date? I will have a bill of sale from the owner, and a registration, of whom the bike is still registered to.

I have scoured the Secretary of State website, and have found bill of sale/self certification information, and even found a thread on this forum about it, but is says that this process can not be used if a bike was registered out of MI...

Excerpt from SS website:

As a last resort when a Michigan vehicle title has been lost, destroyed, or stolen and the purchaser is unable to contact the previous owner for a duplicate title, a Michigan resident can self-certify ownership at a Secretary of State branch office if the vehicle is ten or more years old and valued at $2,500 or less. The self-certification procedure cannot be used for vehicles titled in another state or by nonresidents.

You will need to submit:

A completed TR-205 Certification of Ownership (available on-line at all Secretary of State offices) stating you are the rightful owner of the vehicle and including the vehicle description, the true value of the vehicle, and a complete explanation of how, when, where, and from whom the vehicle was acquired; and
Either of the following:

A vehicle value appraisal completed by a licensed Michigan dealer, or
A page printed from an on-line appraisal service such as Kelly Blue Book, N.A.D.A. Guides, Edmunds, etc. (www.kbb.com (http://www.kbb.com/), www.nadaguides.com (http://www.nadaguides.com/), www.edmunds.com (http://www.edmunds.com/)).

On-line appraisal sites may provide multiple vehicle values (wholesale value, trade-in value, and retail value). Any of these values showing a value of $2,500 or less may be accepted.

RedneckMedic
08-26-2014, 09:16 PM
Fail

post made when nothing was showing up.

try and find local unless it THE bike you HAVE to have

Gas Man
08-26-2014, 09:55 PM
I have nothing... I'd call lansing.

horrorbusiness
08-27-2014, 06:54 AM
This is a 1%'er forum. We dont follow any law, the law follows us.

Gas Man
08-27-2014, 07:45 AM
This is a 1%'er forum. We dont follow any law, the law follows us.

:rofl: :lol:

Mudpuppy
08-27-2014, 12:36 PM
I am a 0.0125%er. That is those who own motorcycles that do track days. Titling can be a tricky issue - is this a super good deal or something? If not run away and look local.

Gas Man
08-27-2014, 09:33 PM
I know when my buddy bought a bike from canada, he had to go thru an "importer" guy to push the title thru.