PDA

View Full Version : How many times have you been "down"?

Gas Man
08-25-2014, 07:55 PM
No not like that you perv....

How many times have you been down (excluding driveway no speed drops)???

Vote on the poll and tell us about it...

Gas Man
08-25-2014, 08:07 PM
1. On my my Ninja EX-500, took a corner to a highway entrance ramp too hot, hit some gravel and went down into the soft sloping ditch of grass... was doing good till my front wheel fell into a hole in the grassy side... dropped it, cracked the fairing.

2. Ninja ZX-9R, dog chased a small deer into the road. Panic braked to avoid... slide, high sided the bike. Fairings all messed, and cracked the stator cover, needed new frame sliders.

3. Big Dog Chopper, went thru a 6" deep hole with 4" of ground clearance. Tire thru the hole, frame hit outside the hole, bang down.

4. HD Ultra Classic, deer hit, bang tons of damage, discussed plenty here.

RedneckMedic
08-25-2014, 08:07 PM
I've been down three times on the bike. Once with the shadow when a lady pulled out in front of me and I locked it up and wasnt't able to stay up.

Then twice in hocking hills. Riding above my ability in unfamiliar territory. Then the second time my nerves just got the better of me.

If I were to add up the times I went down on mopeds scooters four wheelers, dirt bikes, snowmobiles, I would be over the 10+ mark haha. And I'm not even 25 yet. Maybe I need to slow down.

sprink
08-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Once on the road, little too fast on a corner and there was gravel near the curb (duh). Young and dumb, but nothing but a little rash on my arm where my jacket pushed up. Bike was fine after I bent the shifter back and popped the turn signal back in.

Not a lot of experience with dirt bikes, but I did fall down a lot trying to learn. A tutor would have helped a lot. I bought my dirt bike around age 22 and rode by myself. Jumping and the rear brake thing took me a while, lol.

Ultra AL
08-25-2014, 10:30 PM
I''m still a relatively new rider and haven't gone down yet. Only about 15,000 miles so far over the past year and a half. I have taken several classes, trying to be safe, and hoping I don't take a spill. But I figure it is probably inevitable at some point. Hopefully when/if it happens it will be something I can learn and walk away from.

Dagnabit
08-25-2014, 10:45 PM
Only gone down once years ago on my old cb350f. Making a turn from a paved road onto a gravel road a little too quick. Next thing I know the bike is sliding into the grass on the side of the road with me next to it. Scared the heck out of me but I just had a few bruises. The bike came out surprisingly with no damage. I don't think I've taken a road bike on a gravel road since.

leebo
08-25-2014, 10:56 PM
2 crashes back in the 70s when I was young and dumb.one when I was very drunk and one when a guy made a right turn from the left lane and hit me.Very blessed to live thru them both suffered broken leg from one and broken arm and concussion from the other.

Kosher
08-25-2014, 11:29 PM
I was down once, a couple of years ago on my Road King, but it turned out pretty minor. I hit some sand I didnt see making a right turn somewhere near Clarkston. Just some engine guard scrapes and small spot of road rash on my knee.

Gas Man
08-26-2014, 01:16 AM
What I like on the backside of this thread is for the new rider. They need to understand that it's a right of passage. The saying is true about two types of riders.

Hawgrider
08-26-2014, 08:13 AM
Once in over 200k miles. It happened at the Milford road New Hudson overpass. Was side swiped on my 71 Triumph TR6R Tiger back in the 80's. Was knocked off the bike it landed on the double yellow spinning round and round on the foot peg. After I killed the guy I picked the bike up and rode it home. Had several other almost bite the dust close calls but didn't actually "go down"

Newbies Remember! "Its not a matter of if you go down its a matter of when you go down".

The trick is being able to stay alive to ride another day.

Moesride
08-26-2014, 09:34 AM
Enough not to like it! Does my fish tail count as a down...lol

Chain
08-26-2014, 11:58 AM
I have yet to "go down", so I am in the "gonna go down sooner or later" category... I've rode on the road since 89, been hit once (minivan rear ended me, just punted me forward 10-12 yards), and too many close calls (Too many deer, reason we wont ride after dusk if we can help it, a few dogs, and a few cages)... I've been lucky thus far. We average about 8k a year...

Bagger Dave
08-26-2014, 12:01 PM
I hear ya Chain....I have had some close calls myself

beeman07
08-26-2014, 02:44 PM
I had my first accident last month. I was riding well beyond my limits on the Cherohala Skyway when I hit a corner too hot, panicked, and looked at the ditch. You know the saying "the bike goes where you look"? Well, it does. My bike and I ended up sliding a good distance down the best long, wide, grassy ditch in the state of NC. I screwed up my shoulder lifting the bike and I thought I got away with just that and some minor bruising, but I found out almost a week later that I fractured a few vertebrae during my fall, too. Ouch.

In this case, having a broken back and neck isn't as bad as it sounds because there isn't anything but time that will heal my fractures and it really doesn't cause me much pain. But my shoulder and one of my thumbs are still giving me tons of grief a month and a half later. That said, my pride is bruised more than my body.

But I can still ride, and that's all that matters. :banana:

-Fred.

Kosher
08-26-2014, 03:17 PM
I had my first accident last month. I was riding well beyond my limits on the Cherohala Skyway when I hit a corner too hot, panicked, and looked at the ditch. You know the saying "the bike goes where you look"? Well, it does. My bike and I ended up sliding a good distance down the best long, wide, grassy ditch in the state of NC. I screwed up my shoulder lifting the bike and I thought I got away with just that and some minor bruising, but I found out almost a week later that I fractured a few vertebrae during my fall, too. Ouch.

In this case, having a broken back and neck isn't as bad as it sounds because there isn't anything but time that will heal my fractures and it really doesn't cause me much pain. But my shoulder and one of my thumbs are still giving me tons of grief a month and a half later. That said, my pride is bruised more than my body.

But I can still ride, and that's all that matters. :banana:

-Fred.

Yowsa, thats gotta suck. I've done Cherohala twice now, both on Monday mornings, so no traffic, and no pressure to push it, but I've often been accused of riding like Grandpa. Biggest danger for me on that road is being distracted by the gorgeous scenery.

Mudpuppy
08-26-2014, 03:25 PM
Cherohala, Dragon, Hellbender - ALL SUPER ADVANCED ROADS and NO ONE under that riding level should even attempt. And no I am not participating in this poll.

DataDaemon
08-27-2014, 02:14 PM
Street wise been down twice.
1) Dropped my daughter off for her fist day of middle school. On my way out made a left and some Jack@55 decided he would use my lane to bypass the turning right traffic. I had the bike tipped as we came nose to nose. I low sided the bike and put it between him and I, he stopped just before the bike and jetted when I moved it to the side of the road. Busted my left side rear set off and bent my shifter that was attached to it. Had to disconnect the shifter and stuff it and the rear set in my jacket, rode home in 2nd gear. I thank God EVERY day it was after I dropped my daughter off.

2) It was right after my wife started riding I took her to a parking lot to practice starts and stops, we were leaving and I was more worried about her then me. Took a turn to wide and edged a curb, stood me up and flopped me over. I had a bruise on my hip the size of my hand and a scratch all the way across my fairing.

3) My wife and I were on our way up to Bikes on the bricks in the middle of the afternoon and a doe charged me. I clipped her right rear, bike stayed up but right front corner EXPLODED and peeled the fairings on that side like a banana. I got REAL lucky on that one to.

Non of these ended badly, but growing up in the dirt doing dumb things helped me learn my limits. I also have NO doubt I have a guardian angel keeping an eye on me after them.

Tazman
08-28-2014, 09:36 AM
Never been down on the street or at speed but down 3 times in parking lots and a gas station.