PDA

View Full Version : Playing with the GoPro

RedneckMedic
06-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Was playing around with the GoPro studio editor and made this quick vid from my snowmobiling footage from this past winter. Now that Im familiar with how to use the editor Im going to start using it on the bike now and make some more vids. Really enjoyed making this. Could be better but hey its my first one and I think a couple more cameras and I could really make some cool stuff.

Zn2tr6Iq3qs

Thruxtonbill
06-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Good stuff.

leebo
06-17-2014, 02:32 PM
Pretty Cool

bigblue13
06-17-2014, 02:46 PM
good job

Ultra AL
06-17-2014, 03:20 PM
What is your camera attached to? Helmet?

RedneckMedic
06-17-2014, 03:45 PM
Ya it was on the side of my helmet

Mudpuppy
06-17-2014, 03:47 PM
Nice work Lance

Klimoman
06-17-2014, 05:45 PM
That's cool man....

Kosher
06-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Very cool.

Check out where this guy has his gopro mounted on his Road Glide. This is from the "Post Your Mug" thread on roadglide.org.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/matap914/70be5a78fa8203d0cfd6005ac119a301_zps90c4ec00.jpg

Mudpuppy
06-18-2014, 11:18 AM
That mount looks cool in the picture but that's about it. All you are going to get in that shot is open road and unless you have bikes in front of you there is no perspective and it is not very interesting. Yes it is a neat clean cool looking area to mount just not the best for video.

RedneckMedic
06-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Where it's at he probably gets some of the front fender in the shot.

leebo
06-18-2014, 01:21 PM
So do you guys generally mount on the helmet?

RedneckMedic
06-18-2014, 02:06 PM
I have a mount on the front of my sled that was there when I got it but haven't used it yet. This winter I'm going to get some reverse shots. For the roadglide I'm thinking crash bar mount or even suction cup on the bag would be cool.

leebo
06-18-2014, 02:37 PM
Is gopro the only game in town?

Kosher
06-18-2014, 02:49 PM
Is gopro the only game in town?

Nope.

http://contour.com/

RedneckMedic
06-18-2014, 03:17 PM
I think the only other camera I would really consider would be a drift. Gopro is just the top dog if you ask me. so versatile.

Firetaz419
06-18-2014, 09:16 PM
There is 3 "main" competitors.... You have GoPro who is the "best" due to its wide range of accessories (such as hooking your Sena Bluetooth to it, stands, mounts, and harnesses / backpacks...) 2nd you have the Drift Camera, depending on who you ask it gives the GoPro a run for it's money but does not have all the accessories that the GoPro does... 3rd you have the Sony Action Camera, this just started making its appearance to the Motovlogging world but still has a long way to go to get to where the GoPro or Drift is...

There used to be a huge debate on what camera was better the GoPro Vs. the Drift. Now it has kind of evened out and both are better for certain things.

I love the Drift (I own it) because it has such a low profile on my helmet compared to the GoPro. On the other hand I love the GoPro because of what I can do with it. Hopefully before the end of the summer I will have my hands on a GoPro and I can start making better videos with multiple camera angles! :D

http://store.sony.com/action-cam/cat-27-catid-Action-Cam (Sony Action Camera)
http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition (GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition)
http://driftinnovation.com/drift-ghost-s/ (Drift Ghost-S)

As for mounting cameras, you can put them anywhere your heart pleases! On my Ninja, I had different mount locations (velcro) all over the bike... also have a permanent mount on my helmet. the locations i had on my bike were : the belly fairing of my bike for low cornering turns, on my windscreen i would use it for looking back at me or my speedo (not always a good spot specially if police get involved ;) ), on the tail of my bike getting a reverse shot for group rides, and the last spot was actually under my tail ride next to the rear suspension (it gave a look look for group rides but also neat to see the suspension move while rolling down the road)

As for mounts for the GoPro, they make backpack harnesses that have a small pole that comes out the side or top and gives a "aerial" view of whatever... i know a few guys that do this while they wheelie and they capture themselves and the bike going up down the road! Like i said though the placements are unlimited!

leebo
06-18-2014, 09:54 PM
Ease of use is prob what I would be lookin for.somethin I could mount and leave and just turn on when I need it.

RedneckMedic
06-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Ease of use is prob what I would be lookin for.somethin I could mount and leave and just turn on when I need it.If you just want to mount it on your helmet I would go drift like jousting said lower profile for just having it for whenever.

Gas Man
06-18-2014, 10:47 PM
As already stated but I will say that a buddy of mine tried another brand. The problem is getting stuff for it. He broke his case while out of town on his other brand. Could find tons of go pro stuff everywhere but nothing for his.

Heck I think even hollywood has adopted the go pro as standard equipment.

leebo
06-18-2014, 11:17 PM
Well which one would you guys recommend for mounting on the bike? And would the bars or windshield area be a good location? Will I need any sorta watterproofing?

RedneckMedic
06-18-2014, 11:30 PM
Go pro has a suction cup option which is awesome for changing it up. You can get different packages that come with a few different mounts but the go pro will run you around 3 hundy to 5 for the good models

leebo
06-18-2014, 11:39 PM
Go pro has a suction cup option which is awesome for changing it up. You can get different packages that come with a few different mounts but the go pro will run you around 3 hundy to 5 for the good modelsOuch!

Firetaz419
06-19-2014, 09:10 AM
Ya your going to drop a few hundred for these cameras... The drift is cheaper than GoPro, but you would still need to buy the mount a for the drift.

For mounting on your handle bars, you can use a drift with the handle bar mount... But GoPro would be a better option for you in that matter, it's just better suited

leebo
06-19-2014, 09:50 AM
Well ive been lookin on ebay.very confusin gopro 1,2,3.+.I am not interested in this like mud but I wanna get a decent one I can mount on my bike and not mess with it to much im assuming these use a mem chip.I just want one to tape the
Cars that pull out in front of me.

RedneckMedic
06-19-2014, 10:01 AM
They are all hd. I have the hero 2. The newest models are the hero 3 with the hero 3+ being the next step up and 3+ black being the top dog right now. The difference is explained which each cameras capabilities on the gopro site. The 3+black comes with a remote for easy control. All of the new ones can be controlled using a phone app now as well. I would go for the 3 if you can swing it but a 2 or 1 will work just as well. All the mounts work for all 3 models of gopros but the newest excesories

RedneckMedic
06-19-2014, 10:04 AM
Accessories are only for the 3 so if you want the real fancy doo dads you would need the 3

leebo
06-19-2014, 10:06 AM
So if I got a 1 or 2 does it come with a bike mount?

Firetaz419
06-19-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm not sure about the 1 or 2 I'd have to look... Only research I've done is for the 3+ Black and silver edition and the new 4 ;)

Mudpuppy
06-19-2014, 03:52 PM
I have a go pro 1 (mounted with suction cup on rental bike in my pic below) and yes it comes with bike mounts. But really you want to go with the 2 or 3. The 3+ shoots 4k video which is sweet but not very usable - most monitors, TVs, etc. are only 1080p capable at best. Really I only shoot video in 720 because of file size. And 720 is plenty HD enough. Mounting though - I recommend getting some of the bike in the video for perspective. It's all up to your tastes. If you have the suction cup mount AND MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN THE SUCTION CUP AND BIKE WITH ALCOHOL WHEN MOUNTING - make sure it is securely mounted - then you can try different angles and see what you like. I have tried helmet mount and front of bike mount where you only see the road and I do not like it. Could be Bill pretending to walk his dog but going to service sweaty dudes at the rest area or it could be someone riding a motorcycle. Who knows. To me it is not interesting video unless you follow other bikes (and follow close - like within 5-10 feet max).

To answer your question - GOPRO imo is the only game in town. The rest, especially the cheap versions, are all pretty much garbage. You get what you pay for. Some of my friends like Contour or they like cheap chinese pen cameras. I stick with what works for me. This is video from the Gopro Hero 1 on a snowmobile - I like the front part of the sled and skis in the shot for perspective:

https://vimeo.com/45610195

Mudpuppy
06-19-2014, 04:00 PM
Oh and that video is shot in 480

sfcusaret2004
06-19-2014, 05:04 PM
I have a mount on the front of my sled that was there when I got it but haven't used it yet. This winter I'm going to get some reverse shots. For the roadglide I'm thinking crash bar mount or even suction cup on the bag would be cool.
hmmm, "suction on the bag", sounds like something Rocky horror would say, or what ever his name is!

leebo
06-19-2014, 05:06 PM
Thanx guys great info!

Ultra AL
06-22-2014, 04:58 PM
This is the mount I use, it's a RAM mount that goes into the empty mirror hole (I put Street Glide mirrors on). This is a stock photo, not my bike. I have mine on the left side of the bars.

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr215/chboxer/Harley/TWM/rapb379ha1-gop1_img1.jpg (http://s485.photobucket.com/user/chboxer/media/Harley/TWM/rapb379ha1-gop1_img1.jpg.html)

RedneckMedic
06-22-2014, 05:31 PM
Forgot the camera for the ride today. O well next week

Gas Man
06-22-2014, 11:59 PM
That's a good idea Al!

Firetaz419
06-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Lance I should have my camera ready for next week's ride too! Dual footage! ;)