PDA

View Full Version : dealers and test rides

krism
04-05-2014, 09:55 PM
I was looking at a few bikes at a power sports dealer and asked them about test rides. He tells me they don't offer them. I used to trail ride years ago and last year I bought I Suzuki bandit 600 (1996).

I understand as a private seller not to give test rides unless you have cash in hand. But a dealer? Maybe it's changed since I bought my last new motorcycle in 1987 (lol).

I asked how do I know if I'm gonna be comfortable on the bike if I don't ride it so I can tell which one I would want. He suggested asking on forums. I'm not sure how someone else could tell me what is comfortable to me, but oh well.

So I decided to call the local Triumph dealer. He tells me to come on down anytime to test drive one, as long as I have my endorsement and insurance.

So I still have to call a few other dealers in the area. But I am most definitely not buying something new that I haven't sized up to see if it fits me and I'm comfortable on it.

Does anyone suggest a deal or in Southeast Michigan? Near northwest side of Detroit. I really don't want to ride to the east side.

What's your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Ultra AL
04-05-2014, 10:47 PM
You need to get with Thruxtonbill here on the site. He works at Triumph of Detroit. He can get you the lowdown on picking up a new or used Triumph.

Here's a thread he started a few weeks ago. Private message him for details.

http://www.twowheelmichigan.com/showthread.php?5976-Working-but-not-really

junkyardjon
04-05-2014, 11:07 PM
if your a serious buyer it shouldn't of been a problem. nobody I know would ever buy before riding, new or used. im thinking of getting ahold of mr. bill and test riding everyone of those mothers!! thruxtonbill ride's and now sells wooooohooooo bonus

RedneckMedic
04-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Ya harley and trump never have a problem its the sport bike dealers that are usually not allowing the test rides.

RedneckMedic
04-05-2014, 11:13 PM
We have a fairly diverse group of guys here so if your interested in a specific model ask away. Also there will be a few of us meeting for a ride tomorrow so come and join us. Check out two wheel church on the home page.

Larry64
04-06-2014, 09:50 AM
The BMW dealers are normally good abut test rides. Ford Rd and 275 on your side of town.

Gas Man
04-06-2014, 10:36 AM
I think it depends on the dealer and their confidence in you. Also you need a cycle endorsement and gear.

Also, :welcome:

How about an intro? Do you normally ride?

Thruxtonbill
04-06-2014, 03:21 PM
The BMW dealers are normally good abut test rides. Ford Rd and 275 on your side of town.

Yes but then he'd have to become a pretentious asshole.......JK....sort of.

If you're serious come on out and see me, What type of bike are you looking for? As stated, you need an endorsement, Ins and gear.

Larry64
04-06-2014, 04:59 PM
Yes but then he'd have to become a pretentious asshole.......JK....sort of.

If you're serious come on out and see me, What type of bike are you looking for? As stated, you need an endorsement, Ins and gear.

Aw come on, I road 'em for 25 years and worked for the dealer for 10. I don't have a day glow green Aerostitch, a safety riding vest, or my bike covered in reflective decals. I'm normal, well are normal as you can be after running in to burning buildings for 31 years.:lmao:

We were also Triumph Detroit and Ducati Detroit at times.

detdrbuzzard
04-07-2014, 07:32 PM
i test rode a new and used wing at motorcity powersport back in '07
town and country usually has a wing or two ( along with other bikes ) in their rental fleet that you can test ride if they are in the shop and its a fun ride out there

Mudpuppy
04-08-2014, 01:24 PM
You can test ride Gas Man's harley. Just set up an appointment. He'll even grill you some food.

Ultra AL
04-08-2014, 02:00 PM
You can test ride Gas Man's harley. Just set up an appointment. He'll even grill you some food.

Yep, just bring your endorsement and riding gear, and GasMan will hook you up - he'll even let you take it for a long weekend.

krism
04-08-2014, 06:01 PM
Since you asked Kris is the name. I currently ride a 1996 Suzuki Bandit. Last year was my first year riding in about 25 years, and at that time I just rode mostly trails. I want a bigger bike, something for the highway, with a somewhat upright ridding position. Something kinda agile as well. I like the Triumph Trophy and their tiger. I also like the Kawasaki Concours. I am not limiting myself to that particular style. I would consider a cruiser/touring its just that I've never ridden that style and not sure if I'd like it on the road. There are a few Harleys I like as well, but most of the newer Harleys and triumphs are more than I want to spend. Something else I am adding is maintenance costs. I have been told that the Triumphs, BMW and Harleys need more TLC then the other imports, but I don't know for sure. Maybe someone can give me some guidance on that.

Also what do people think about the Victorys?

I do have my endorsement, insurance and gear.

HAHAH I also like long walks on the beach.... LOL just kiddding.

krism
04-08-2014, 08:15 PM

For some reason I doubt it.. LOL:eightball6:

Klimoman
04-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Yep, just bring your endorsement and riding gear, and GasMan will hook you up - he'll even let you take it for a long weekend.

GasMan will even let you take his wife for the weekend so you can see how both his "rides" are

krism
04-08-2014, 11:59 PM
GasMan will even let you take his wife for the weekend so you can see how both his "rides" are

:bsflag: :scared::pa:

RedneckMedic
04-09-2014, 12:26 AM
Since you asked Kris is the name. I currently ride a 1996 Suzuki Bandit. Last year was my first year riding in about 25 years, and at that time I just rode mostly trails. I want a bigger bike, something for the highway, with a somewhat upright ridding position. Something kinda agile as well. I like the Triumph Trophy and their tiger. I also like the Kawasaki Concours. I am not limiting myself to that particular style. I would consider a cruiser/touring its just that I've never ridden that style and not sure if I'd like it on the road. There are a few Harleys I like as well, but most of the newer Harleys and triumphs are more than I want to spend. Something else I am adding is maintenance costs. I have been told that the Triumphs, BMW and Harleys need more TLC then the other imports, but I don't know for sure. Maybe someone can give me some guidance on that.

I would have to say that all bikes require maintenance it just depends on weather your willing to do it yourself or pay and have it done. almost anyone on this board will help to teach you proper maintenance especially with the wide variety of bikes we have. anything with a decent motor can be ridden on the highway. If you dont want full price just test ride something new you think you may like and also come and check out a TWC event to see what can be done to the bike afterwords to make it more for YOU. although a lot of us are on baggers that doesn't mean thats what you need to be on for a nice cruise. The concourse is an awesome sport tourer. If your looking for that stand riding position then the new tamaha fz9 I beleive might fit that bill and be in your price range new, it definitely intrigues me. One guy on here CNA has a vstrom and thats a slick bike too. As far as victory I cant speak much on them other than they are nice bikes if you like the looks but they just dont FEEL right to me plus I dont think the victory aftermarket is all that awesome.

Just keep looking and dont settle since you have something to cruise around on.

Larry64
04-09-2014, 08:59 AM
I would have to say that all bikes require maintenance it just depends on weather your willing to do it yourself or pay and have it done. almost anyone on this board will help to teach you proper maintenance especially with the wide variety of bikes we have. anything with a decent motor can be ridden on the highway. If you dont want full price just test ride something new you think you may like and also come and check out a TWC event to see what can be done to the bike afterwords to make it more for YOU. although a lot of us are on baggers that doesn't mean thats what you need to be on for a nice cruise. The concourse is an awesome sport tourer. If your looking for that stand riding position then the new tamaha fz9 I beleive might fit that bill and be in your price range new, it definitely intrigues me. One guy on here CNA has a vstrom and thats a slick bike too. As far as victory I cant speak much on them other than they are nice bikes if you like the looks but they just dont FEEL right to me plus I dont think the victory aftermarket is all that awesome.

Just keep looking and dont settle since you have something to cruise around on.

Ya, every brand has its known problems or quirks. Don't get all hung up over it. When I road BMW's a lot of them had rear drive failures, I never had a problem. I have had two twin cam Harley's without a problem. My '03 had the known problem with the cam shoes. Mine were fine but I had planed on upgrading them but I traded up. Treat them right and take care of stuff when it's small. Find a bike that fits you, your style and your budget and ride the shit out of it.

Mudpuppy
04-09-2014, 01:46 PM
I had my Yamaha R6 for 9 years. If I worked on it 5 times that was the maximum. Very low maintenance on the Yamahas. My R1 is about the same other than the valve issues that I will need to address sooner than later. Once I get titanium valve retainers I probably won't touch it again except for oil changes and tires.

You should go see Thurxtonbill at Triumph of Detroit. He can give you the low down on the Triumph end of things. They make a great bike.

Tin Man
04-09-2014, 06:44 PM
I bought a new Harley in 05 another in 08 and a used Triumph last year, NEVER had a problem with any of them. I mean ZERO trouble. Nobody builds junk anymore !! My brother rides BMW's and both his new bikes had minor electrical glitches, but nothing that ever left him on the side of the road.

seatmaker
04-09-2014, 08:36 PM
I think it would be cool to take a test ride and dump it like Mayhem on the Allstate commercial :lmao:

Mudpuppy
04-10-2014, 10:40 AM
I think it would be cool to take a test ride and dump it like Mayhem on the Allstate commercial :lmao:

Yes only if someone got video of the incident

ChefC14
04-10-2014, 10:03 PM

I bought a Concours in 08, it's the best bike I've ever owned. It has been really good to me. It has taken me to Colorado, Northern Minnesota and the Dragon twice. The only issues I've ever had is I've had to replace brake rotors front and back due to warping. It didn't cost me anything because of the warranty. It seems it goes through tires quickly but really you get about 10k out of a set. I'm 5,7 and I cannot flat foot it. This worried me at first but I'm got used to it and it isn't an issue. I didn't want to lower it because I didn't want to lose cornering clearance. This bike will straighten your arms. :)
As far as the Victories, I have a friend that has one and he absolutely loves it. It is a great bike, appearance, engine, all around quality. When we travel he sure looks a hell of a lot more comfortable than I feel. Not that I've ever really been uncomfortable, well except for that Iron Butt I did back in 2010. I wasn't comfortable after 15 hours of riding. :)

ChefC14
04-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Check this out.
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=16787.0