PDA

View Full Version : Harley or K&N Filter? How about oil?

skipper
03-20-2014, 03:40 PM
Harley dudes,

Do you use a Harley or K&N filter....other? I like that the K&N has the nut on the end but I think I am currently running a Harley.

What about engine oil? What are you running?

Kosher
03-20-2014, 03:56 PM
Harley dudes,

Do you use a Harley or K&N filter....other? I like that the K&N has the nut on the end but I think I am currently running a Harley.

What about engine oil? What are you running?

Gas man is an Amsoil agent. :)

He also recommends the K&P (yes K&P) reusable filter. Thinking of buying one because I hate money.

Valuetek is a TWM sponsor: http://www.valueteckenterprises.com/page5.html

Bagger Dave
03-20-2014, 04:30 PM
Gas man is an Amsoil agent. :)

He also recommends the K&P (yes K&P) reusable filter. Thinking of buying one because I hate money.

Valuetek is a TWM sponsor: http://www.valueteckenterprises.com/page5.html

Yep yep! I run all Amsoil...motor.. primy and trany...
and I also run the Black Anodized K&P Oil Filter...got that from Mad Dog at Value Teck!
I ran the chrome K&P on my BD K-9 Chopper for 5 years! great filters! when I did my oil change last summer...I put a black anodized K&P oil filter on the Harley and we changed out all my oils to Amsoil :dthumb:

Kosher
03-20-2014, 04:35 PM
Yep yep! I run all Amsoil...motor.. primy and trany...
and I also run the Black Anodized K&P Oil Filter...got that from Mad Dog at Value Teck!
I ran the chrome K&P on my BD K-9 Chopper for 5 years! great filters! when I did my oil change last summer...I put a black anodized K&P oil filter on the Harley and we changed out all my oils to Amsoil :dthumb:

And out come the Amsoil zombies. :) To me its not a magic elixir. Its fine, but not any different from any other synthetic. For various reasons I end up changing more frequently than 5K, which in and of itself is shorter than the normal service life of oil. So in reality dino oil would be fine too, but again, I hate money.

And I cant believe I just participated in an oil thread.

:blowup:

Bagger Dave
03-20-2014, 04:41 PM
And out come the Amsoil zombies. :) To me its not a magic elixir. Its fine, but not any different from any other synthetic. For various reasons I end up changing more frequently than 5K, which in and of itself is shorter than the normal service life of oil. So in reality dino oil would be fine too, but again, I hate money.

And I cant believe I just participated in an oil thread.

:blowup:

:lmao: I use to run Mobil 1 in my Chop.....and when I got my Harley in Oct of 2012....they already changed the oil before I picked it up...so when we did my oil change at Gas Man's garage...I figured I would just run what he runs in his scoot...being that he is an Amsoil agent...I always run synthy in my bikes and vehicles...but to each their own....
oh..and this is the first time that I ever ran Amsoil...

Klimoman
03-20-2014, 04:42 PM
I run Amsoil and the Amsoil filter....

Bagger Dave
03-20-2014, 04:43 PM
Here is a good read!

http://www.twowheelmichigan.com/showthread.php?1093-EVO-vs-TC-Oil-Filters&highlight=filter

Thruxtonbill
03-20-2014, 04:55 PM
Amsoil in my Triumph....simply the best IMO.

RedneckMedic
03-20-2014, 05:56 PM
Ive got amsoil in the motor and primary and since the dealer was paying for it I tried out redline gear oil in the tranny and I actually like it very smooth shifts and neutral is nice and easy to find.

owl
03-20-2014, 06:36 PM
I use Lucas oil (engine, primary, trans) and have for all my motorcycles, many years now. Never any problems. Ironhead, shovelhead, Evo and Twin Cam.

Gas Man
03-20-2014, 08:00 PM
Ive got amsoil in the motor and primary and since the dealer was paying for it I tried out redline gear oil in the tranny and I actually like it very smooth shifts and neutral is nice and easy to find.
It's a heavier oil. You could run the Amsoil gear oil like I run in mine.

airfilter:
I have a K&N, but Amsoil also sells a great air filter.

oil filter:
spend the money now and get a K&P from don. It's the last oil filter you will ever buy!

I can get it all for you guys. With your credit card and I will have it delivered to your door in a few days at my cost. I just renewed my dealer license.

skipper
03-20-2014, 08:28 PM
I ran all Lucas last year bc that is what my shop suggested and uses for Dino. For some reason I thought I try something different. After hours and hours ....and now a couple more hours of reading I have only decided on the trans and primary. Still not sure what to do with the motor yet. My bike has only ever seen dino and since I'm not gonna run the same in all 3 not sure I'll switch away from it.

Motor=Brand?? Weight 10-40 or 20-50???
Primary = HD Formula +
Trans (5 speed) = Red Line VTwin

What do you guys think about weight?

Klimoman
03-20-2014, 08:36 PM
AMSOIL 20w50 in engine, 75w140 severe gear in tranny, and super shift in primary....

RedneckMedic
03-20-2014, 09:02 PM
It's a heavier oil. You could run the Amsoil gear oil like I run in mine.

Ya thats what I ran in there before the redline and I definitely recommend the heavier gear oil in the tranny.

Skipper I beleive the harley oil is amsoil.

Gas Man
03-20-2014, 09:20 PM
harley oil is not amsoil

20w-50 is the only thing you can run in your motor...

other 2 holes can be debated.

Bagger Dave
03-20-2014, 09:35 PM
I'm running the same as Chris....
Amsoil 20w-50 in motor and primy
and Amsoil Severe Gear 75w-110 in tranny

skipper
03-20-2014, 09:53 PM
Well I won't fight it than.........Amsoil 20w-50 in motor. Thanks guys.

Kosher
03-20-2014, 10:07 PM
Well I won't fight it than.........Amsoil 20w-50 in motor. Thanks guys.

Good decision. You will get fewer colds and your friends at work will wonder whats different about you.

bombdog
03-21-2014, 09:31 AM
Oh Boy I love oil threads :boobies:yep had to say it..... Oh and my name is Dan and I use Amsoil:fu2:

Mad Dog
03-21-2014, 06:28 PM
One thing is for sure......Chris is an agent. For who we are not sure!

Moesride
03-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Using redline across the board on mine.

Hawgrider
03-26-2014, 01:16 PM
Just shy of 100k miles on my scoot. HD 20w50 thru out its life. K&N filter. Don't let the oil paranoid freaks talk you into anything fancy its not necessary. Ive rode mine hard and put it away wet. Takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Fuck that synthetic overpriced bullshit. Dino oil for life !!!!!!!!!

Gas Man
03-26-2014, 01:41 PM
The separation of Dino to syn pricing is not much different.

Hawgrider
03-26-2014, 01:55 PM
The separation of Dino to syn pricing is not much different.Amsoil priceing or off the shelf auto parts or MC shop pricing?

sure is a big price difference that Ive seen. Infact my Son inlaw is bitching about the synthetic that is supposed to go in his Yammadog He is so pissed he is thinking about going to shell's Rotella diesel synthetic oil cuz its way cheaper. I'm glad I ride an old scoot mine was shipped from Milwaukee with 20w50 dino and Ive kept it that way ever since.

Gas Man
03-26-2014, 09:23 PM
Even just for normal car oil. Decent name dino car oil 5w-30 is like $5-6 qrt; and I can get Amsoil full syn for the same price.

Mudpuppy
03-27-2014, 10:22 AM
I didn't read all the replies but AVOID k&n anything - garbage. A stock paper filter ALWAYS blows away k&n - 3rd party tested. Google it. If you want an upgraded air filter check out amsoil - they have some great stuff.

Hawgrider
03-28-2014, 08:43 AM
I didn't read all the replies but AVOID k&n anything - garbage. A stock paper filter ALWAYS blows away k&n - 3rd party tested. Google it. If you want an upgraded air filter check out amsoil - they have some great stuff.
Stock paper filters are expensive and most are one time use.
K&N has been around for a long long time and well proven on my bike. One filter for just under 100k miles washable and effective and less restrictive allowing more air to enter than a stock paper filter. Just my opinion ....everybody has one that is mine.:wink:

Kosher
03-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Stock paper filters are expensive and most are one time use.
K&N has been around for a long long time and well proven on my bike. One filter for just under 100k miles washable and effective and less restrictive allowing more air to enter than a stock paper filter. Just my opinion ....everybody has one that is mine.:wink:

I did some brief poking around, apparently there is some evidence to support the notion that paper filters are more effective, but I run an open AC and paper filters will not work for obvious reasons.

Beyond that, yes, the numbers may show a difference but scads of people run K&N filters, their bikes and cars are not blowing up in unusual numbers, so I wonder if the difference is worth much in terms of practical effect.

Gas Man
03-28-2014, 09:26 AM
For me the K&N is there for the wash and reuse aspect. I will just mark them down as even with the paper and call it good.

Hawgrider
03-28-2014, 10:53 AM
For me the K&N is there for the wash and reuse aspect. I will just mark them down as even with the paper and call it good.Don't be a pussy take a stance:lmao:

Gas Man
03-28-2014, 11:39 AM
Don't be a pussy take a stance:lmao:

I don't do that unless I know facts.

Hawgrider
03-28-2014, 12:00 PM
I don't do that unless I know facts.Fact is Paper filters do filter better.
But K&N is the king of free flow! And when You open up your pipes and swap your CV junk Carb for an S&S Super E and run pipes that don't sound like a singer sewing machine that K&N filter fits the bill nicely and still keeps the junk out of your Carb. That's right!.... a little old School for you EFI guys.

Trukerinfulleffect
03-28-2014, 04:52 PM
Run spectro in all 3 holes and k&n is my choice of filters on both my bikes

horrorbusiness
03-28-2014, 06:22 PM
A lot of clowns love to over oil kn filters. I don't give a hoot about air cleaners. Plenty of time running cars with engines as expensive as most motorcycles. I've never had an issue with getting anything sucked in. The throttle body on the fat boy points that way > so I'm even less concerned about sucking something into the motor.

Gas Man
03-28-2014, 11:06 PM
I hear ya horror... I know many guys that don't run any filters on their high hp car motors...

Mudpuppy
03-31-2014, 10:38 AM
For me the K&N is there for the wash and reuse aspect. I will just mark them down as even with the paper and call it good.

Unless you are going to do your own testing you can't just make some flimsy "mark them down as even and call it good" statement. K&N is garbage. Period. 3rd party testing proves it. Waste of money. Really the only advantage an Amsoil filter has is the longevity - 100,000 miles. Other than that it is inferior to stock OEM paper filter as well. It's your engine - use what you want.

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

Gas Man
03-31-2014, 01:33 PM
According to that study we should be running AC Delco on all our rigs!

Hawgrider
03-31-2014, 02:05 PM

Yeah thousands and thousands of K&N filter customers are stupid for buying garbage:lmao:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQonncAl-93gdOnOp1QMDx2FFU0Y6NPhRZQUxK5iijWR0nS7nJx

RedneckMedic
03-31-2014, 02:12 PM
I love how this thread started with oil and oil filters and ended up on air filters.

Gas Man
03-31-2014, 02:51 PM
Yeah well K&N makes oil filters, Amsoil makes oil and filters... connect the dots... we are assholes.

Kosher
03-31-2014, 02:52 PM
http://keithhu.smugmug.com/Other/Stuff-Bucket/i-QDPwKL3/0/S/polls_notlolwutpearuw5_2_0701_520755_answer_7_xlar ge%5B1%5D-S.jpg

Chain
03-31-2014, 02:53 PM
I am very careful with that, little goes a long ways. UNLESS I'm in Sturgis at the Buffalo Chip. Then I will add a little more... but I'll clean it 3 times in a week while there too. So stinking dusty! I've seen people over oil them, funny when they have the shit dripping on the exhaust... ;)

Chain
03-31-2014, 03:03 PM
oil filter:
spend the money now and get a K&P from don. It's the last oil filter you will ever buy!

True shit!!! Last 3 skoots I've had the KP on!!! And Don's the man!!!! My dad also uses them on his airplanes also. If they trust them for airplanes... well. Nuff said there for me!

Gas Man
03-31-2014, 09:01 PM
True shit!!! Last 3 skoots I've had the KP on!!! And Don's the man!!!! My dad also uses them on his airplanes also. If they trust them for airplanes... well. Nuff said there for me!

On an airplane... no shit! Sweet!

Bagger Dave
04-01-2014, 06:05 AM
Yep yep! had the Chromy K&P oil filter on the BD....and now running the Black Anodized K&P on the Harley! Don hooked me up!! :dthumb:

Mudpuppy
04-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Yeah thousands and thousands of K&N filter customers are stupid for buying garbage:lmao:

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQonncAl-93gdOnOp1QMDx2FFU0Y6NPhRZQUxK5iijWR0nS7nJx

Lots of people buy iPhones too.. enough said.

Ultra AL
04-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Lots of people buy iPhones too.. enough said.

The fun governor won't let you get an iPhone, huh?
:lmao:

Bagger Dave
04-01-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm running the AC Delco High Capacity(High Flow) filter on my 2011 Sierra :rockwoot:

Gas Man
04-01-2014, 08:40 PM

She also won't give his testicles back. :lol:

Chain
04-01-2014, 09:18 PM

OMG! You guys are brutal!

skipper
04-01-2014, 09:43 PM
You guys confused me. I'm going to save the cash and just use the charmin stuff........we have some in the bathroom already I think. I'll just wrap everything that sucks in air or filters the oil. I'm up for saving a buck after the upgrades anyway.

Ultra AL
04-02-2014, 07:43 AM
She also won't give his testicles back. :lol:

:zowned:

Mudpuppy
04-03-2014, 04:56 PM

Fuck that - she wanted me to get a piece of shit fucking iphone. I refused. Well it's free she says. Yeah and so is hitting myself in the balls with a hammer. No thanks. Fuck all you fucking cocksuckers. I have an android thank you. I understand if y'all have smart phones with dumb users. I can't help that part of it - genetics mostly fucked you up. If you have an iphone please post a picture of the back button - that should keep you fucking ijerkoffs busy for a few days as you frantically search for something your paperweight fucking phone don't have. How gay.

Mudpuppy
04-03-2014, 04:57 PM
And K&N still sucks - I have seen ZERO data showing why it is so great. Just opinions like assholes. I have CLEARLY shown data that shows otherwise that it is garbage. I wouldn't say it is just based on an opinion. I have used them before and I feel bad for doing so because they are a waste of fucking money. I have a hammer you can borrow to hit yourself in the nutsack.

skipper
04-03-2014, 06:25 PM
All fired up!!

Caveman
04-03-2014, 09:59 PM
WOWEE WEE WOW

Rant much?

junkyardjon
04-03-2014, 11:23 PM
like I've never seen a AC delco oil filter blow apart and starve the engine of oil... oh wait, nevermind. I've seen a few name brand filters do that but it don't matter anyways. run what you want and let mudpuppy get all worked up cause he shows a bull shit test that's is a lie about air filters. nevermind what I run cause a stock air box won't fit my frame. pods all the way and a lot of people say pods are the worse. funny cause they don't know how to tune a fucking bike and my shit runs like it should. then again I have a old style bread box filter housing from a kawi on my Honda, fuck if I didn't make a new backing plate and it works with a cheap ass filter made some the hardware store, but I ain't worried about it sucking shit in the motor and blowing it up. I can fix my shit and set my valves too ahahahahahaha. I was at work today thinking about my truck, I need to get back on that and finish it up. need to put the stacks on but it's a gas enigine. then I got to thinking what will people think about stacks on a gas engine.... who fucking cares what people think, it's mine and they can suck my balls and jerk me off while looking into my eyes. anybody have a test showing HP number for stock vs after market air filters? see anybody can ramble on, not that hard to do

junkyardjon
04-03-2014, 11:28 PM
and yeah fuck those phones. I gots a android too and it works just fine. why anybody needs a iPhone I gots no ideer ider. do people really need a iphone? do people really need a eniginecycle? I can gets a iphone free everyday, I see peeps talking on them and I can walk up and take that shit. i'd just smile at them and say "i'm carrying" and just started a "new club"

Ultra AL
04-04-2014, 07:02 AM
And K&N still sucks - I have seen ZERO data showing why it is so great. Just opinions like assholes. I have CLEARLY shown data that shows otherwise that it is garbage. I wouldn't say it is just based on an opinion. I have used them before and I feel bad for doing so because they are a waste of fucking money. I have a hammer you can borrow to hit yourself in the nutsack.

Somebody get that man a Xanax ASAP!

bombdog
04-04-2014, 08:52 AM
I stopped using filters years ago (Except in the coffee maker) I dont walk around with a filter on Why should my bike? Hell I grew up next to Three Mile Island and played with Mercury when I was a kid and I am fine Bunch of pansies using filters.....

bombdog
04-04-2014, 08:54 AM
Oh and as for oil Bertollis is the only oil I use First cold press it gets no better.

Mudpuppy
04-04-2014, 10:01 AM
Hey you fuckers poked the sleeping giant. Did you expect any less? Just meet me today?

Science and testing is mainly just bullshit. I prefer religion, governments, lawyers and bankers all day long. They deal with fabricated reality. Much more preferred. Manipulate it to whatever you want reality to be.

Hawgrider
04-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Hey you fuckers poked the sleeping giant. Did you expect any less? Just meet me today?

Science and testing is mainly just bullshit. I prefer religion, governments, lawyers and bankers all day long. They deal with fabricated reality. Much more preferred. Manipulate it to whatever you want reality to be.

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/3370/jacklaugh.gif

skipper
04-04-2014, 10:54 AM
It sure seems like everyone got along a lot better when that poor military kid wanted to start a club. The group gang up on one person on one topic is gone. He sure threw a wrench in that dynamic we had going. Bwahahahaha

junkyardjon
04-04-2014, 09:39 PM
:jerry: