PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

sfcusaret2004
03-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Just read a great thread on another blog about motorcycle insurance. Basically, describing how one should shop around to get the best rate. Got me to thinking. Is what I'm paying for motorcycle in Michigan too much? So what do you pay and who are you insured with?

junkyardjon
03-03-2014, 05:04 PM
In michigan, yup you pay too much

Gas Man
03-03-2014, 07:39 PM
State Farm or progressive.

sfcusaret2004
03-03-2014, 08:22 PM
I use Foremost for the bike. 2013Roadglide Ultra. Currently have storage coverage on it and pay $32.00 per month. Won't use progressive at all and am not impressed with ony of the other quotes I've gotten from any of the majors. Believe I was paying $79.00 per month for it before putting it in storage for the winter but still think that's too high. Anybody else got a better rate?

Caveman
03-03-2014, 09:05 PM
I pay $625 for the year with Progressive with a ElectraGlide Ultra. One thing that you have to remember, is Michigan is a "No Fault" state and therefore is going to push rates higher. There was a large push by some of the Major insurance agencies to the Michigan govt to get the state back to an "At Fault" state but there in lies the problem. Putting it to the govt to make a decision for the majority when they only have their own agendas that they are looking after. My Mom just retired from AAA Michigan and she hated the no fault laws. AAA was a major proponent to change it back to at fault.

detdrbuzzard
03-06-2014, 05:10 AM
even if michigan goes back to being an " at fault " state don't expect to see a big drop in your insurance rate. their rational is that we are use to paying high rates so there is on need to lower them much

Lrider
03-06-2014, 03:19 PM
Just purchased a 2014 Road King, new premium with Progressive is $780 WTF!! Up from $630 on my Dyna. Called around today for some quotes, (Statefarm $836), (Allstate almost $1100), (Dairyland $560) jury is still out on these guys, that no. seems to good to be true, Geico won't be offering motorcycle ins in MI till March 29, will have to check back with them. I've read about other guys, same approx age, good records paying 1/2 what my premium is... of course none of them lived in MI.

One thing Progressive is now offering is something called a Winter lay-up program, not sure of the savings with this but anything would help. I was also told that I could remove collision, med pay, lower liability etc for the winter months for more savings. Maybe I'm the dumb ass but why do I have to call them to find these things out? Had I known I would have done all of the above.
Oh well I guess if you want to play you gotta pay.

sfcusaret2004
03-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Just purchased a 2014 Road King, new premium with Progressive is $780 WTF!! Up from $630 on my Dyna. Called around today for some quotes, (Statefarm $836), (Allstate almost $1100), (Dairyland $560) jury is still out on these guys, that no. seems to good to be true, Geico won't be offering motorcycle ins in MI till March 29, will have to check back with them. I've read about other guys, same approx age, good records paying 1/2 what my premium is... of course none of them lived in MI.

One thing Progressive is now offering is something called a Winter lay-up program, not sure of the savings with this but anything would help. I was also told that I could remove collision, med pay, lower liability etc for the winter months for more savings. Maybe I'm the dumb ass but why do I have to call them to find these things out? Had I known I would have done all of the above.

Just shopped around yesterday for the Shark (2013 Roadglide Ultra), to compare apples to apples, I quoted 250,000/500,000 comprehensive and uninsured, $250 deductable, roadside assistance, towing, and $3,500 accessories. I actually pay $879.00 per year ($73.25 per month) with Formost (Farmers recreational vehicle division). Dairyland quoted $1190.00 for the same coverage. Merkle (New kid on the block) quoted $1200.00 plus. As I said won't even consider Progressive (which is a shame since I use USAA for everything else, but progressive is their RV carrier). Will continue to shop around with Allstate, AAA, and others. The only silver lining is that most carriers will write a "storage " policy for those months that you are laid up due to weather here in the great white north. The "storage" rate for Formost is $380.00 per year or $31.66 per month during the time my bike is in storage. So, if you figure that we can ride from April to Dec, thats $73.25 x 9 for 659.25 plus 31.66 x 3 for $94.98 during the winter, bringing the total for the year to 754.23. which is $124.77 savings. Heck, at this rate I can buy the daymakers in only 5 more years! yep, the Texas hill country is looking better every year!

sfcusaret2004
03-06-2014, 04:53 PM
On a side note, I had Dairyland when I was much younger and they are a standup carier, which is one of hte variables to consider. If you pay a low rate, but get shi++y service, have you really saved anything?

Ultra AL
03-06-2014, 04:58 PM
I have StateFarm on my 2010 Ultra Classic. I pay $57 per month. $684 for the year.

RedneckMedic
03-06-2014, 07:37 PM
You guys should be thankful. You don't even want to know what motorcycle insurance is for a 24 year old guy with a bagger.

Klimoman
03-06-2014, 07:44 PM
I have Progressive, 2009 Ultra Classic, $54 a month.

Caveman
03-07-2014, 01:03 AM

I have been using Progressive now for 10 years since I came back from the Army. I only pay a little over $600 for the year with same coverage as SFCUSARET below, with exception of the bike 08 E Glide Ultra with $5k extras. I have had nothing but good dealings with their customer service and never had any troubles with getting cards or coverage questions.

even if michigan goes back to being an " at fault " state don't expect to see a big drop in your insurance rate. their rational is that we are use to paying high rates so there is on need to lower them much

I wouldn't be so sure about that as the #'s are there on what the reduction could be so customers would, or SHOULD, raise some cane to get the service and prices they deserve. My mother just retired from AAA and she had shown me some of the possible numbers if the change were to happen and it was a substantial savings per year. Not astronomical mind you but considerable.

Just shopped around yesterday for the Shark (2013 Roadglide Ultra), to compare apples to apples, I quoted 250,000/500,000 comprehensive and uninsured, $250 deductable, roadside assistance, towing, and $3,500 accessories. I actually pay $879.00 per year ($73.25 per month) with Formost (Farmers recreational vehicle division). Dairyland quoted $1190.00 for the same coverage. Merkle (New kid on the block) quoted $1200.00 plus. As I said won't even consider Progressive (which is a shame since I use USAA for everything else, but progressive is their RV carrier). Will continue to shop around with Allstate, AAA, and others. The only silver lining is that most carriers will write a "storage " policy for those months that you are laid up due to weather here in the great white north. The "storage" rate for Formost is $380.00 per year or $31.66 per month during the time my bike is in storage. So, if you figure that we can ride from April to Dec, thats $73.25 x 9 for 659.25 plus 31.66 x 3 for $94.98 during the winter, bringing the total for the year to 754.23. which is $124.77 savings. Heck, at this rate I can buy the daymakers in only 5 more years! yep, the Texas hill country is looking better every year!

As I stated above I pay a little over $600/yr for same coverage of a '08 E-Glide Ultra with $5k extras. One thing may be that I have been with them for the past 10 years. Most insurance companies give loyalty prices.

RedneckMedic
03-08-2014, 05:10 AM
I've been with progressive for about 6 years now with my bikes and they have been good to me. They didnt dick me around with my claim last year and actually was the easy part of getting my repairs done and my rate didnt go up because of the customer loyalty.

Gas Man
03-08-2014, 09:16 AM
I have been with State Farm for a MC claim, and their adjuster was a third party company and he tried to scam me; but in the end they did pay up.

Fast forward a few years to a MC claim with Progressive; their adjuster was polite knowledgeable, and straight shooting. The easiest and best insurance claim I have ever had, EVER!

Ultra AL
03-08-2014, 09:29 AM
You guys should be thankful. You don't even want to know what motorcycle insurance is for a 24 year old guy with a bagger.

A 24 year old guy is gonna pay out the wazoo for any kind of insurance. I feel for ya Lance!

Firetaz419
03-08-2014, 10:20 AM
For the ZX6R through progressive it was $110/month... I'm starting to look around for insurance now for the Busa now that its about time to register it (my birthday is in April)

RedneckMedic
03-08-2014, 11:21 AM
I just got a new 2014 silverado and even though I was with AAA for my 2011 silverado they wanted almost double and everywhere I called was ridiculous. I actually ended up with Esurance and its funny because there and allstate company but I pay half of what my allstate quote was the agent on the phone at allstate even said your not going to want this policy and told me to keep calling around.

junkyardjon
03-09-2014, 01:15 PM
hair under $6,000 a year

ChefC14
03-20-2014, 11:20 AM
$554 a year for a sport tourer, I'm 45 with no tickets. The one time I had to make a claim I had a check in about 10 days and did the repairs myself.

bombdog
03-21-2014, 10:00 AM

Boy I sure am glad I am not 24 wouldn't that just suck.:fu2:

meinschaft
03-21-2014, 11:57 AM
I may be one of the few members here who remembers when Michigan changed from an at-fault to a no-fault state in 1973. Trust me, the politicians made all sorts of promises about how the change would result in much LOWER insurance rates. As a guy in my 20s back then, I looked forward to a lower insurance bill. Well don't be too shocked, but it never happened. To the contrary, I remember visiting my AAA agent to complain when I received my renewal and my bill had increased significantly. To get me out of his office, my agent told me my rates would drop when I turned 26 (that was the 'magic number back then). Guess what? They never did.

Since our esteemed politicians are once again conniving to 'reform' insurance I will bet my next paycheck that you will most assuredly NOT see lower rates. If you think our legislators work for you and not the insurance companies, I have a bridge in Arizona you may be interested in.