PDA

View Full Version : Making informed risk decisions: Michigan deer density by county

Kosher
03-03-2014, 10:24 AM
Given Chris's well founded deer phobia, I thought this is interesting. Chris now has an aversion to the UP which is not backed up by the numbers. :)

(Source here (http://blogs.dickinson.edu/gis/2012/11/01/gis-analysis-of-grew-wolf-habitats-in-michigan/))

http://blogs.dickinson.edu/gis/files/2010/10/deerDensity.jpg

Gas Man
03-03-2014, 10:30 AM
When you've seen as many deer as I have seen pull out in front of me in the U.P., then smoke one at 60mh... I'd find it hard pressed for anybody to truly question me... :lol:

Kosher
03-03-2014, 11:22 AM
Well, its all about data. Data don't lie! (assuming its reasonably accurate, and if you assume its inaccurate, you should have a science-backed reason for claiming so)

Some people are afraid to fly, they'd prefer to drive, when statistically, you are WAY more likely, on a per-mile traveled basis, to be in a fatal accident if you drive the very same trip that you refused to fly.

I understand your fear, but it should be a fear of deer, not a fear of the UP

Kosher
03-03-2014, 11:24 AM
Another illustration of the benefits of fact-based decision making:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZTZQvuCo

Gas Man
03-03-2014, 07:34 PM
Better be hot naked women lure.

Caveman
03-03-2014, 09:15 PM
well, you're right Kosher, data doesn't lie. However, Chris must have a deer fuck me horn or smell associated with his bike, because two years in a row in the UP and two times it was a very close encounter, the latter being a little more close.

DataDaemon
03-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Fact Based Decision Making: Pirates were much more common in the 1800s, Global Warming is higher now then in the 1800s, there for to cure Global Warming we need more Pirates.

Gas Man
03-04-2014, 01:54 PM
well, you're right Kosher, data doesn't lie. However, Chris must have a deer fuck me horn or smell associated with his bike, because two years in a row in the UP and two times it was a very close encounter, the latter being a little more close.

Amen brother... you have seen it... well second hand!! :lol:

ChefC14
03-20-2014, 11:26 AM
My daughter and I killed 2 this last hunting season so remove 2 from Emmet County. Seriously, I hunted a block from the tunnel of trees and saw deer every day. If I had more experience with a bow I would have killed another. That area is so populated that it gave me chills. I seriously would see deer every day within an hour of sitting in my blind. They rarely had enough antler to kill but there are many. I will no longer be flying through there like I have for the last 10 years. I think I pushed the envelope enough.
On another note, my buddy bought some property there and is fixing up a rental cabin for you. He asked me to put the word out. The cabin/house is right in Cross Village. I'll find out details later and when I do I'll be posting it. Remember Mort Neff? It's his son. :)

Kosher
03-20-2014, 12:47 PM
My daughter and I killed 2 this last hunting season so remove 2 from Emmet County. Seriously, I hunted a block from the tunnel of trees and saw deer every day. If I had more experience with a bow I would have killed another. That area is so populated that it gave me chills. I seriously would see deer every day within an hour of sitting in my blind. They rarely had enough antler to kill but there are many. I will no longer be flying through there like I have for the last 10 years. I think I pushed the envelope enough.
On another note, my buddy bought some property there and is fixing up a rental cabin for you. He asked me to put the word out. The cabin/house is right in Cross Village. I'll find out details later and when I do I'll be posting it. Remember Mort Neff? It's his son. :)

Wow, way back memories!

My Dad, for 30 years, was a producer/director at Channel 4 in Detroit.

My Dad directed Michigan Outdoors for several years, we all knew Mort Neff. Once we went to his house on Lake Michigan that you had to ride a cable car (with wheels, but moved with a rope/pulley) to get to.
My dad directed other favorites that many of you probably are too young to remember

- Traffic Court and Juvenile Court (the first court shows in the country. On these shows they used actors to act out court transcripts)
- Milky's Party Time
- Oopsy the Clown
- Sonny Elliot At The Zoo
- Open Doors (sunday religious show)
- Often directed the 11PM news
- Bowling for Dollars (yes, that bowling for dollars)
- My dad also directed the original New York Carpet World commercials with Irving Nussbaum (he did not write them, just got paid well to shoot them)
- He also directed (as an independent) the original Mel Farr Ford commercials (again, shoot only, not write. :))

I was always a very popular kid in elementary school because every year my dad would arrange a field trip to the station. Fun times.

ChefC14
03-20-2014, 01:31 PM
I remember Oopsy and Bowling for Dollars. Mel Farr Superstar LMAO.

Kosher
03-20-2014, 02:08 PM
I remember Oopsy and Bowling for Dollars. Mel Farr Superstar LMAO.

Do me a favor - ask the guy if I remember the house correctly, I was very young. It was on the shore, down a very steep hill, and there was a motorized "cable car" with wheels that went up and down the hill on the ground pulled by a rope or cable.

ChefC14
03-20-2014, 03:12 PM
Cable cars still there property sold after Dad died. He asked what your dads name was.

Kosher
03-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Cable cars still there property sold after Dad died. He asked what your dads name was.

Victor Hurwitz

I remember the family room or living room was facing the lake with a huge picture window. Gorgeous view.

ChefC14
03-20-2014, 05:12 PM
When he texts me back I'll let you know if he remembers.

Kosher
03-20-2014, 05:17 PM
When he texts me back I'll let you know if he remembers.

I'm not sure that he would have known my dad.

Kosher
04-18-2014, 08:51 AM
I'm not sure that he would have known my dad.

I doubt Mort's son would remember my dad, but curious if he ever got back to you - ?

Gas Man
06-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Kosher. Now how do you feel about these motherfuckers?!?

junkyardjon
06-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Hahahahahahahahhahahaha

Kosher
06-01-2014, 03:23 PM
Kosher. Now how do you feel about these motherfuckers?!?

My opinion has not changed, I hate the fuckers.

I started to get concerned as I LEFT the UP. :)

Gas Man
06-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Why as you left the UP?

Jon, I thought somebody might get a kick out of my bump. :lol:

Kosher
06-01-2014, 10:09 PM
Why as you left the UP?

Because the point of the thread is that the UP is by far one of the least likely places in Michigan to hit a deer. So as I was leaving, I was entering dangerous territory, deer-wise.

Gas Man
06-02-2014, 09:12 AM
OIC...

I also want to point out that I looked at the map again... that was data from 2010 and probably not reflective of conditions post the 2011/2012 disease outbreak with the deer population.

Mudpuppy
06-06-2014, 02:30 PM
I don't know that this is helpful for me riding wise but I'm certainly using that fucking map for hunting season