PDA

View Full Version : Scraping floorboards everywhere.

Bob
05-25-2009, 10:08 PM
I have a 2002 Drifter 800 and I love the bike but dang it I'm scraping the floorboards at every corner and turn. It was like this all last year too (my first year with the bike). I don't know if it's because I learned on and rode sportbikes and just lean too much on the cruiser or what, but I hate it. Any tips from you guys on how I can get the bike to turn without leaning so much? I know this can't be normal.

Gas Man
05-25-2009, 11:28 PM
YOu can lean off the bike the opposite way... it looks akward but it works.

ChefC14
05-26-2009, 02:33 AM
Stiffer springs to raise your bike. I had the same scraping when I had my Honda Shadow. I put progressive springs in the forks and bought some back springs off of e-bay from a bigger cruiser. It did get me a couple inches more off of the ground. I still scraped the pegs though.

Berto
05-26-2009, 03:24 PM
Get a new bike... with more clearance. I ride my VTX and scrape pegs, coming off the DRZ with over 12 inches of clearance it's not hard. And I even scrape peg on that sometimes... takes effort to make it happen.

It's not possible to not scrape unless you ride at 4mph, like some of the riders I got caught behind at the gap this weekend.

Scraping peg is dangerous and I try to avoid it since it can cause your bike to pivot off the peg and the back end can lift and loose traction. Seen it happen... had it almost happen to me.

Cruisers, my VTX included, are not built to take corners at "higher" speeds.

My two cents.

Bob
05-26-2009, 07:34 PM
I'll just keep the Drifter and get some knee pads. LMAO

Berto
05-26-2009, 10:33 PM
move your butt off the seat and keep the bike straighter, but use your body to turn the bike.

ChefC14
05-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Those Drifters are sweet. Too bad Kawi didn't purchase the Indian name and redo the Indians. Maybe they could actually make it work, so many others have tried. Seriously lift that bike. How about some shocks from a Nomad, then you can add air to them to get the height you might want. Lift lift lift.