PDA

View Full Version : Bike Love

alhall88
01-18-2014, 05:06 PM
I don't usually ever post too much let alone this kind of crap but I was wondering what you guys thought. I have had more than my share of friends die but recently one close to my heart passed. Before he died we were talking and he asked me why I don't love my motorcycle. I said what do you mean? And he said if you and your bike are one you would never replace it or keep selling them off. And I began to see what he was talking about because I bought my very first Harley off him a 1972 FL that I kept for 18 years and regret to this day for selling. But I now have a similar love to my road king that I have not had in some time, I don't feel the need to constantly modify her because she brings me joy as is.Just a drunk rant I guess but its not about the trade in value for me anymore. Please pass the Centrum silver now.......

Bagger Dave
01-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Well Al...I loved my BD K-9....but I couldn't afford to have 2 bikes....so when I traded for my 2011 HD Ultra Limited....I love this bike! I have put more miles on it and enjoyed it more than my BD....
I can see what your getting at....but everyone has a different situation...when the time comes that I can get another bike...I will definitely keep the Harley....not going to get rid of this one! I'm having a little drinky myself...cheers! :cheers:
Sorry to hear about your friend Al...RIP

Klimoman
01-18-2014, 05:24 PM
I just posted on Facebook this video I found. I love my Harley this much. http://vimeo.com/48483245

Kosher
01-18-2014, 05:26 PM
I do know what you mean. I miss my Heritage a lot, but still, if I had to choose, because of the type of riding I do, I love my Road King.

Maybe in the not too distant future I'll have a heated gaarage/barn where I can keep more than one.

For the most part its a matter of storage space for me.

<sigh> Gone, but not forgotten.

http://keithhu.smugmug.com/Motorcycle/2010-FLSTC/i-VThbKt6/0/X3/Bike_left_1-X3.jpg

Thruxtonbill
01-18-2014, 05:31 PM
I've loved every bike I've ever owned, some more then others for sure but every last one of them have put a smile on my face. Having said that, my Thruxton is special and I don't think I could ever sell it. The real truth is we all just love bikes and riding, kinda the reason this forum works for us.

Sorry to hear about your friend, may he RIP.

horrorbusiness
01-18-2014, 06:50 PM
The two bikes I have now , a 01 fatboy that I purchased new in October 2000 that will die with me. The other is a 73 z1 that was given to me by a bestest riding buddy/ homie that will also be with me until the end. The fatty has been the sole source of enjoyment during some not so fun times. It's still just a possession , but I love it as much as you can love an object.

Trukerinfulleffect
01-18-2014, 08:06 PM
Everything we own in life has a sentimental value,we cherish the time spent on that particular bike and by selling it ,u are selling those memories,I'll never sell my big dog,too many good memories,and no money can replace that,just my 2 cents

sprink
01-18-2014, 09:13 PM
I have let a few things go that I wish I still had, but memories are almost as good. Nothing but friends and family cannot be replaced. Actually friends can be replaced but not forgotten.

RedneckMedic
01-18-2014, 09:37 PM
I feel the same with my road glide. Unless something comes out down the ride I beleive I will keep this bike forever. I will ride the piss out of it and this summer it will get a shit ton of miles since I wont be in school anymore. When the engine gets onl dot will just give me a reason upgrade. I miss my first bike but I don't regret selling ever since I pulled out of the dealer on the RG

Gas Man
01-19-2014, 12:40 AM
First off, sorry to hear about your friend Al.

On the bikes... I hear ya. I keep telling people that I will keep my ultra. I have no desire to get a new one... There just isn't any reason. I know the bike and love how it treats me.

Moesride
01-19-2014, 08:49 AM
First off, sorry to hear about your friend Al.

On the bikes... I hear ya. I keep telling people that I will keep my ultra. I have no desire to get a new one... There just isn't any reason. I know the bike and love how it treats me.
Especially after the ass kicking that deer got from your bike and you came off it with minor injury. NO WAY would I ever sell that bike G. Talk about sentimental value, sheesh..... Sorry to hear on your friend Al

Bagger Dave
01-19-2014, 08:53 AM
Especially after the ass kicking that deer got from your bike and you came off it with minor injury. NO WAY would I ever sell that bike G. Talk about sentimental value, sheesh..... Sorry to hear on your friend Al
Truth! his bike was a mule!! taking a hit like that...

Ultra AL
01-19-2014, 08:59 AM
Sorry about your friend, Al.

As for the bikes, it's tough. I see it all the time in my business with bicycles. People come in with bikes they've had since their childhood that they just love, and won't ever ride, but they'll never get rid of them. They are a part of their identity, who they are. They have great memories wrapped up in these bikes. It's the same thing with our motorcycles. We identify certain rides, or good times with our riding buddies, with our machines. I've only been riding a little over a year, and am on my second bike. But I'm having a hard time wanting to sell that first one. It still is in the garage. I look at it every morning as I leave the house, and I think how much I love that bike!

Moesride
01-19-2014, 09:11 AM
I agree with you Al. Unless its a financial burden of owning 2 bikes and you need to sell it. Other than that , Don't get rid of it. You may regret it if you love it that much.

owl
01-19-2014, 10:20 AM
Do I love my motorcycle? I don’t think I would call it love.Not like the love I feel for my wife or the young lady next door, or the girl at the office. I really like my Road Glide, I use to really like my Electra Glides(both of the EVO’s). At the time (1967) my Sportster XLCH was the best thing to happen, and the 70 Bonneville was cool also. I owned a couple early shovelheads that were fun and I restored a 1972 FLH a few years ago that I had a hard time parting with, but I don’t recall being in love with a motorcycle. If I had enough space I would own more than two motorcycles. I don’t know why, because I only ride my Road Glide while theother sits. In a “man I love that” kind of way, one could say “I love my bike”but I guess we mean, this is about the second coolest thing in our lives. ???
Just my thoughts
Jim

leebo
01-19-2014, 10:55 AM
Back in the 70s I had a 72 kawasaki h2.I really liked that bike alot it was FUN to ride but after the 2nd crash my family made me get rid of it.In the 60s my bud and I bought a 305 dream in a basket and put it together and took turns ridin it.that was what got both of us started.