PDA

View Full Version : Tragic

Thruxtonbill
05-12-2009, 02:49 PM
This was posted on the FZ1 board. This kinda shit makes me want to quit riding.

Another Rider Looses Her Life
I am sorry to report that yet another rider has lost their life due to a negligent driver. A few days ago here in the Chicagoland area a woman rider sitting a red light waiting for it to change was run down. The person who hit her was traveling about 50 miles per hour and never saw her, her bike or the traffic light. The reason why she didn't notice the bike rider or light is because the driver of the car was painting her finger nails! This foolish, irresponcible person was only sited with failing to avoid an accident at this time. What a crock of $h1t! I don't understand why she is not in jail. If she had run over a child chasing there ball into the street would the outcome be any different? My heart and prayers go out to the family who has lost there loved one. An example should be made with this woman who feels that painting her nails (while driving) is more important than focusing on driving. This is becoming a serious problem more and more with people driving while talking on their cell phones, drinking, eating or even painting their nails when they should be concentrating on the road. Driving a 3,500 -4,000 pound vehicle should be taken seriously!

Twisted
05-12-2009, 03:13 PM
I hope she lives with the guilt the rest of her pathetic, nail polished life.

RoadZombie
05-12-2009, 08:03 PM
It's reasons like this that I have my CCW. I'm sure she would have noticed a couple .50 AE slugs going through her windshield. Although, the issue here would be the argrument of "self-defense"...damn liberals!

But in all seriousness, this is why I stay in gear at red lights,constantly scan my mirrors, and hug the lane divide. If need be, I at least have the slim possibility of moving out of the way. It's pretty sad, but I expect every single 4-wheel driver on the road to be an ignorant moron hell bent on my destruction.

Gas Man
05-12-2009, 09:11 PM
damn near old news by now...

I am with RZ on this one. In my dieing breath I would have shot the bitch!! That is one thing you can take to the bank... if you see me I'm packin.

Thruxtonbill
05-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Here is the story

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...0,570584.story (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-nail-polish-fatalmay05,0,570584.story)

Berto
05-13-2009, 07:04 AM
That is sickening... the same goes for people with texting. As if the world did not turn before you needed to send that message and if you did not send it.

They should make EVERYTHING and ANYTHING else illegal while driving, cell phones, eating (You can't stop to eat? that is one of my pet peeves. Stop for 20 mins and eat). Nail polishing, shaving... you can only hit the radio buttons, nothing else! $200 fine if you get caught... $500 the second offense, $1000 third... Lose licence after that. People will focus on driving then.

But we bikers "know what dangers we face" so our death is not as valuable as anyone else's...

Thruxtonbill
05-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Painting fingernails
texting
reading
applying makeup
talking on the phone
drinking

All of these things and more while driving should result in loss of license for a year as far as I'm concerned. Killing another human while painting your nails is enough to make me scream.

Gas Man
05-13-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm not sure about the no eating thing... I do that nearly everyday... I work on the go and NO I don't always have time to eat. I make do sometimes when at work on the bike and pick up and take back to work. Hell I nearly always eat on the road when I'm traveling in the car.

B-Kinger
05-13-2009, 11:48 AM
That's absolutely terrible, and it really reminds you of your own, fragile mortality. It's also a reminder of how vigilant you must be out there while on your bike. Staying alert, aware, and focused at all times, and learning to ride your bike to the best of your abilities in all circumstances is all you can do, and WEAR YOUR DAMN GEAR, and then there's still those rare times where none of that will even matter. That's the risk involved in the pleasures we take part in. The problem with that accident (for lack of a better term) is, if that poor woman who got hit wasn't on a bike but in a big SUV, the outcome of that nail-tending moron's actions would likely have been much different; as tragic as this is, it's not necessarily the moron's fault that the victim was on a bike. As much as I hate it, that's life. She didn't set out to kill someone. It's us who decide to put ouselves in that much more danger to enjoy the thrills of what we do. I hope that woman is sorry and fully realizes the devestation she caused. If her attitude becomes that of defiance though, there will definetely be an enormous cry of outrage from our biking community. I'll be one of em screamin.
I'm with every one of you on almost everything you've said! Watching your mirrors at a stoplight and making sure you have ample room to get out of the way by going in between cars if you have to is an excellent defensive manuever and one I practice as well, at least when riding alone. Thank you for mentioning that, Zombie, it's excellent food for thought.
I actually let my CCW permit lapse; lack of funds to justify havin it. My reasons to carry were mainly to protect my family and those around me from violence or other crime, though admittedly using it to not have to take sh*t from a**holes who think they can impose their will on people was a close second. Just remember that when it comes down to it, you had better have a HELL of a good reason to discharge that gun in public. As much as we all agree that we'd likely pull it out and maybe even fire if provoked, there may be major, life-changing consequences, for everyone involved. That's the part worries me; having enough time at that heated moment to think about who the bad guy may end up being. My laws aren't remotely the same as society's, but that won't keep me out of jail. I truly hope it never comes to that, for any of us here. It doesn't help things that I have a bad temper and a short fuse. Ha ha, little firecracker, big bang. I have often thought about what I would do if hit or caused to crash (or see it happen to somebody I'm riding with) by someone who's driving like an idiot and doesn't care. I love it when I see the crossing over 2 or 3 lanes of traffic without warning just to make it in the mall entrance manuever. I wanna follow em and beat their ignorant asses. I tend to mess with people in traffic (while in my car) when I see them driving like idiots; swerving and cutting people off, etc. I box em in, which is what tortures them most.
I've been known to smash the side-view mirrors off of vehicles whos drivers show they're clearly not remorseful after cutting me off in traffic when I'm on my bike. Maybe next time they'll look a little more thoroughly. Or not. Some people do quickly realize they made a mistake and wave as if to say, "hello, sorry, yes I'm stupid," and I'm still pissed but I quickly get over it. Remember, they're all just cattle, and we're riding amongst their herd.
I'm also definetely one of those people who can't drive while talking, so unless I'm in an area where I'm able to do so without impeding traffic, I usually don't. I'm just plain easily distracted, and I know it. And maybe texting and taking videos and pictures while on my bike isn't so smart either. Gotta work on that.

Thruxtonbill
05-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Most excellent post Mike. BTW, you write good.:cool:

Twisted
05-13-2009, 03:48 PM
I keep telling him he needs to send stuff in to magazines.....be a great source of easy income for him.

ChefC14
05-14-2009, 02:05 AM
I just read an article recently in an AMA magazine where they were applauding a law maker in Michigan for making the law more strict for drivers that cause a death. It wasn't strictly a law to protect motorcyclists but everybody. They can't really put laws out there just for bikers. Anyhow it was for any death, pedestrian to that lady in the SUV. The penalties are harsher now. I'll have to see if I still have that magazine laying around. I'll find out the specifics.

Twisted
05-14-2009, 05:12 AM
The way I see it, what good is a law if you're dead? What they need to do is make a law against using a cell phone while driving. I'm aware they can't control everything people do while they drive, but that would be the main one. Probably would be hard to enforce at first, like the seat belt law, but it could be done. We didn't have cell phones way back when, and some how we managed to get by. Even though I love my phone, I'd be happy to put it down to save a life.

Gas Man
05-14-2009, 07:23 AM
Twisted you make a great point about the law vs death.

I myself, as a professional commercial driver with countless hours of driving class. I still use my phone a great deal driving and still drive better than others. But that is due to training. I see the same folks you all do... that can barely drive alone then throw in cell phones, navigation, dvd, make up, ect...

ChefC14
05-14-2009, 08:26 AM
It's hard to make these laws. Some people can drive and talk on a cell phone and some can't. Some people can drive drunk and some can't. In my stupid youth I was a heavy drinker. For about 4 years I would drink and drive regularly. I never got pulled over or had an accident. I actually believe I was good at it. When I would drink I would drive the speed limit and pay extra attention. When I was sober I drove like an idiot, kinda like I do on my bike now(kidding). Of course I outgrew this and would never do it now. My point is like any law it's bad when all have to be punished for what a few are not capable of doing. I too would put my cell phone away while driving if we had to but I don't believe it would save anyone's life. I read a story the other day on a different forum where an 89 year old woman ran a red light and hit a biker that was taking his 9 year old daughter for a ride. The 9 year old died and the man was in intensive care. This is exactly why I won't take my kids on the road. I am willing to gamble with my life but not with theirs. The conversation over this issue was over whether people over 80 should be allowed to drive, again some can and some can't. People were saying flat out that over 80 should not drive and others were saying test them every year. There is no easy answer for this issue. And I agree with Twisted, dead is dead and no law will protect you. That's why we should say to each other BE CAREFUL OUT THERE! Have eyes in the back of your head like all mothers do. Be ready to go or stop at any time. Watch for eyeballs on the side of the road at night. Get a gremlin bell, go to a biker blessing. Do whatever witch craft you feel you need to for luck and stay on your toes. And most important of all eat at Hooters, they have the best legs. :)
(By using the analogy of the drinking and driving that I once did I am in no way saying that it should be legal to drink and drive. It was just something I once did that was really stupid and it was a good analogy)

B-Kinger
05-14-2009, 09:09 AM
That's it, I'm sellin my kids' helmet.

Twisted
05-14-2009, 10:53 AM
I have always said children should not be allowed to ride on the back of a bike, they may think it's fun and cool, but they are too naive to realize the full risks involved. It's the parent's job to know better and protect them.

vortech302
05-15-2009, 09:10 PM
I read a story the other day on a different forum where an 89 year old woman ran a red light and hit a biker that was taking his 9 year old daughter for a ride. The 9 year old died and the man was in intensive care. This is exactly why I won't take my kids on the road. I am willing to gamble with my life but not with theirs.

That's why I won't ride double. I keep getting the same two girls "take me for a ride on the bike" every couple days, and every time I tell them "Nope, don't want the responsibility". And I completely agree about some people can drive and talk and some can't. I just got a new bike (with mirrors, my other bike doesn't have them), and it's kinda scary to see what's coming up behind you. I had an asshole pass me while in my lane today, he just moved over a couple feet, thought he'd impress me or some shit. Then watched as some girl was driving and texting right off my rear tire as I was doing 90.

ChefC14
05-15-2009, 09:25 PM
I've saved my bacon a few times by watching my mirrors. Years ago my mom would light a cigarette and drive, she wouldn't smoke while driving. The cigarette would sit in the ash tray and burn but as soon as she stopped at a light or a stop sign she was puffing. She knew she couldn't do both at the same time. Fact is she could have but she was too nervous. The cool thing is she knew her limitations. I have had a few close calls and they are either someone not stopping behind me or someone coming over into my lane while I'm still there. I have been fortunate enough to avoid the incidents but they are definitely nerve racking. There are way too many distractions in cars. Not much we can do but watch all the time and drive faster than they are.