PDA

View Full Version : Is there a 99% patch?

Bob
05-07-2009, 10:04 PM
I've wondered if there was a standard patch for 99%ers like there is for the 1%ers.

Berto
05-08-2009, 08:37 AM
I don't get it...

Twisted
05-08-2009, 10:57 AM
I didn't either, I had to ask Mike, something about 1% being outlaws or something.

meinschaft
05-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Comes from the old days of gangs like the Hell's Angels. Cops and public officials used to say that 99% of bikers were decent, law-abiding people. Hence the 1% designation that outlaws were proud to identify themselves with.

Twisted
05-08-2009, 01:16 PM
What about a Coffee-Mate patch, like half and half? :rolleyes:

B-Kinger
05-09-2009, 01:17 AM
I need a 90%er patch then. Oh, I see that I have a FULL patch now, how'd I get THAT??? By being FULL of it?????

Thruxtonbill
05-09-2009, 08:19 AM
I love coffee-mate

meinschaft
05-09-2009, 08:32 AM
No French Vanilla patches, pleeze.

B-Kinger
05-09-2009, 11:20 AM
So funny, we go from outlaw bikers straight to coffee. Can ya tell we're 40?

Berto
05-09-2009, 11:21 AM
I need a patch for people that do stupid things.

I don't know what you would call that... but that would be me...

Bob
05-09-2009, 11:28 AM
I was talking about this on a Kawi forum and they are all afraid that a 1% club might get pissed off about a 99% patch? Anyway, one guy on the forum is making these:
LOL
http://img701.mytextgraphics.com/photolava/2007/11/27/poserfinal-48nb658ln.jpg

B-Kinger
05-09-2009, 11:46 AM
That's pretty funny, but would you put a patch on your jacket that called yourself a poser?

Bob
05-09-2009, 12:08 PM
That's pretty funny, but would you put a patch on your jacket that called yourself a poser?

Would I? No way. LOL

Berto
05-09-2009, 12:50 PM
I WOULD!!!

I WANT ONE!!!!!

Really... I want one.

Twisted
05-09-2009, 01:00 PM
I need a patch for people that do stupid things.

I don't know what you would call that... but that would be me...

They're called Band-Aids.

Bob
05-09-2009, 04:58 PM
I WOULD!!!

I WANT ONE!!!!!

Really... I want one.

If you really want one I can get the guys contact info. for you man.

Berto
05-10-2009, 11:47 PM
I really want one. Send me his info.

ChefC14
05-11-2009, 04:17 AM
I like the DILLIGAF patches or the IB6UB9. Forget the 99% patch just get an angel sewn on your jacket.

Bob
05-11-2009, 06:45 PM
I really want one. Send me his info.

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/61306-poser-patch.html

ChefC14
05-12-2009, 03:21 AM
I can see it now, a poser patch passes by a one of those real bikers at 150 mph on the freeway. Do ya think he'd catch you on his semi-American made Harley?

Not slamming Harley here, I love all bikes. I meant to say that in order to be in one of those clubs I believe you have to have an American bike. So, if you were to make one of those real bikers angry he couldn't catch most of us. However if you go into a bar and offend you are in trouble. The comment about semi American bike, I think that is self explanatory.

Berto
05-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Why would they get offended?

I dont see what would bother them. I am not making fun of them, I am making fun of myself. I'm a "biker"...

but..

I have a 9-5 job
a mortgage
car payment
bike payment for that matter
a closet full of collared Polo shirts
I play beer league softball
I have dinner with my inlaws on Sundays
and I live in a suburban house with Stainless Steel Appliances and interior design chosen colors on the wall and a nice lawn.

Oh yeah, and I drive a station wagon.

So... I am for sure not in the 1%... I am a 99% and proud of it!

Thruxtonbill
05-12-2009, 10:30 AM
I hear your lawn has grubs.:eek:

meinschaft
05-12-2009, 11:20 AM
I don't much care what you ride as long as you can keep up with me. But I do expect that HD Motors will be coming to the government, asking for a bailout. You ready to make a contribution?

Berto
05-12-2009, 01:01 PM
I hear your lawn has grubs.:eek:

Bite your tounge!!!

And as far as the HD bailout... Screw that... they had an incredible business plan and ruined it.

They had enough customers lined up to keep in business for 2-3 years thru a recession... but nope, they are dumb!

RoadZombie
05-12-2009, 08:54 PM
It's amazing how HD has all but alienated their "original intended customer" as well. HD's used to be about an attitude...a lifestyle, if you will. Now it's all about profit. Originally, they targeted the blue collar working class schlub. Now it's "Do I send my kids to collage or earn myself a phD so I can afford a new scooter?" It's re-goddamned-diculous. I can't even buy an 883 Sportster with the same mileage and age as my 1100 Yamahog for 3, maybe even 4 times what I paid for mine...and I'm sure my Yammy is far more reliable. *Shakes head* Way to abandon the working class and aim straight for the RUB market HD.

Gas Man
05-12-2009, 10:10 PM
Road... I think you are confusing old school bikers with new school more main stream bikers. There are still the same old school HD guys out there but there are also many more main stream rubs. But that is the case for many, it just happens to be more previlant in HD. Why? Cause HD is HD and everybody else just imitates with their cruisers. What is the defining cruiser sound? A HD v-twin. Also what is used as the bench mark for all rice cruisers sound.

What has changed truely with HD? I can tell you. They have become almost as "turn key" as many of the rice cruisers. What does that mean to the followers? You can have many more, cause the bike is more realiable. HD has stepped up their R&D more than any other company IMO. I buy nearly 95% only HD aftermarket parts, cause I know their fitment and quality won't be comprimised.

Its about a lifestyle? Don't confuse beyond remarkable marketing for a change to the product.

Now understand I have tons of info on the topic. I work on more bikes than your average rider and work on everything from rockets, rice cruisers, customs, big dogs, AIH, HD, ect... They all have been in my garage. Further, I have spent plenty of time in rice and hd dealerships. I will take a HD dealership over almost any rice dealership and it has nothing to do with the product. But the quality of service. HD corperate ensures their dealership are held to a higher caliber.

At the end of the day...

Is today's HD the same as your fathers?

HELL NO it's better.

Berto
05-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Chris, you are right as far as reliability, but from a marketing and company management point of view, they screwed the pooch... too much production to try and take as much money off the table as possible as fast as possible.

HD is the type of company that could have a waiting list, and I know you want to always sell as much as possible, but they could have used that demand to keep the desire to own an HD higher and in turn, not need any "bailout" now.

We went through this in the late 80s and 20 years later, no lessons learned... the 10's will be good, 20s will be awesome and we'll have the crash of 2027 in 18 years... you'll see... people are stupid.

HD, Honda, Yamaha, GM, Housing.... people are greedy and never think of tomorrow and of the big picture.

Gas Man
05-13-2009, 11:32 AM
You're right Berto on the mass production side. However, they are going back to that with HD. They have cut down production huge amounts this year. The dealership expect to have some of the 80's and waiting lists in the near future. Now that is fine during a tough economy but I'm sure if it spins around so will their mass production POV. We'll see.

B-Kinger
05-13-2009, 01:52 PM
Harley has always had the enormous benefit of it's lifelong bad boy/outlaw biker image, and they've undeniably used it to their best possible advantage as any smart company would do, but as a result you'll always have people with non existent self-identies clinging to em, as opposed to the other manufacturers. Hell, they probably make as much profit in apparel than the other manufacturers make altogether! Almost everything else out there is just a copy of the original. You guys nailed it with what you've said. Myself, I've been impressed with what they've done in the last couple of years, as their bikes have never been better (for HDs at least) or more beautiful. As much as I admire their bikes, they just have't come up with the bike for me yet. They're getting hit with the same crisis as our auto manufacturers are; we're just not buying now. In my opinion that's all of their common downfalls, not being ready for this downturn, and not convincing their shareholdes that change and evolution is necessary over profits sometimes. For all of the money their executives and employees make, they should have been smarter and better prepared, and personally I don't feel they all deserve bailouts, especially the lending institutions, who have been downright deceitful. But, by being publicly traded companies they've all been forcefully motivated by their shareholders to focus on the highest profit margins and not by what's the smartest or right thing to do at the time. Sure goes to show ya, big money isn't often smart.

RoadZombie
05-13-2009, 06:19 PM
My main point was that they were originally a bike company built by bikers, for bikers. Now they're nothing more than just another profit driven corporation with no focus for anything but the "bottom line". As B-Kinger stated, they probably made more profit on "motorclothes" last year than most companies made on their bikes. I do actually like Harley bikes...I'm just put off by the "be an individual....just like everyone else" mentality that HD seems to breed and cater directly to. No matter hard hard someone tries, personality cannot be baught. There just seems to be a LOT of people out there that are convinced it can be.

As far as the "defining sound"...hell, may as well copy the original copycat, and most metric companies only took ONE time to get it right ;-) Cliffnotes explanation: Indian originated the 45 degree shared crank pin V-twin. Harley tried to copy it a year later, and failed horribly. It wasn't until 5 years after Indian introduced their V-twin that HD was able to successfully design/produce a V-twin.

Gas Man
05-13-2009, 11:14 PM
kinger... yes, most recent years HD is much different and better than yesteryear.

zombie... indian did start it. But now the companies copy HD. HD created the twin cam. A year later S&S tried to come out with theirs. HD sued and stopped the S&S twin cam. Now S&S has the x-wedge a tripple cam. Now a days these other motor companies do what they can to keep up with HD.

Today's HDs aren't the old AGM years. It also took the company a long time to recover from that. Just as what happened to the auto makers in the late 70's.

B-Kinger
05-14-2009, 10:15 AM
"As far as the "defining sound"...hell, may as well copy the original copycat, and most metric companies only took ONE time to get it right ;-) Cliffnotes explanation: Indian originated the 45 degree shared crank pin V-twin. Harley tried to copy it a year later, and failed horribly. It wasn't until 5 years after Indian introduced their V-twin that HD was able to successfully design/produce a V-twin."
I did not know that!!!!