PDA

View Full Version : Replacing New Tires

Klimoman
11-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Need new tires for my 2009 Ultra Classic. Wolverine HD quoted me $808 out the door price for OEM tires.

Dunlop sells an "Elite" (BikeBandit.com) tire that from what I have read are the same tire as the OEM, they just do not say "Harley Davidson" on them. Doing the job myself + paying to get the tires mounted and balanced, the total would be $470.00.

I called Biker Bobs, and to put new tires on the bike (OEM replacements that say "Harley Davidson" on them) the cost out the door is $596. (Installation is free (November 2013 Promotion) if you buy the tires from them, shop supplies are extra)

With that being said, I do not mind paying the $126 to have both tires changed out a by Biker Bobs.

I was going to do the job to save the $338 dollars originally. However, saving the $214 dollars and having the dealer do it is worth the peace of mind in my opinion.

Thanks to Ultra Al and Gas Man for letting me pick your brains! :)

Gas Man
11-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Yeah no worries man. If you want to save that other dough... we can always do it at GMG.

Also, for everybody else, normally at Biker Bob's they are doing $30 per end install. That isn't SHIT!

seatmaker
11-21-2013, 07:31 PM
I'd think Beezer can do way better than that http://beezerscycle.com/

Klimoman
11-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Never thought about going to Hell to change my tires... :lmao:

Gas Man
11-21-2013, 07:58 PM
I think he could do better with some of the other tire brands that are offered.

Moesride
11-21-2013, 08:57 PM
That's not a bad deal for Biker Bobs Klimoman. Keep us posted on how they do for you as far as product and service goes.

RedneckMedic
11-21-2013, 10:39 PM
I say go to GMG to do the labor and get them mounted at balanced at "The Shop". Then short drive back to Chris's and put them back on should take more than a couple hours taking your time.

beeman07
11-21-2013, 11:12 PM
Brighton H-D claims to have the lowest tire prices in the state. They have a banner at their website with (minimal) information.

owl
11-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Try an independent motorcycle shop. Many times an Indy canget your work done for a substantial savings. Ask around, and talk to othersthat have had repairs or purchased parts from your local independent motorcycleshop. If others are satisfied, then you may be also.
Jim

Gas Man
11-22-2013, 10:22 AM
I say go to GMG to do the labor and get them mounted at balanced at "The Shop". Then short drive back to Chris's and put them back on should take more than a couple hours taking your time.

I call The Shop (734-671-3509) and he said that he will do mount & balance for $35 at tire if you bring the tires, $25 if you buy tires from him. Might be worth pricing out the small local guy and see what he comes up with. It's his slow season (like most) so he's down to just the one guy (owner... can't remember his name). But that $126 savings might grow towards $200... maybe.

Mudpuppy
11-26-2013, 10:39 AM
Gas do you have a tire machine?

Gas Man
11-26-2013, 02:01 PM
No sir I don't.

Klimoman
11-26-2013, 04:19 PM
Gas Man I am going to do it myself, with your assistance. Ill price out the tires from the guy you mentioned above. I am picking my bike up this Friday. I'll get in touch with you for a day with doable weather. Thanks for the assistance.

Gas Man
11-26-2013, 09:41 PM
For sure...

What do you gents suggest for tire brands? I heard my dealer suggest Avon's for double the mileage and better wet & dry grip.

Klimoman
11-27-2013, 05:00 AM
Maybe I am a creature of habit, but I always ran Dunlops on my FXSTS so I am leaning towards Dunlops again. However, I see a lot of people using Metzler's as well as Avon.

RedneckMedic
11-27-2013, 08:05 AM
I hear lots if good about the Metz.

sfcusaret2004
11-27-2013, 10:52 AM
It's so hard to decipher the industry gobbledy-gook to find out which tire is best for which machine/riding style. My question is did you like the tires you had? Were you happy with the milage you got from them? Is your safety more important that your wallet? One thing I do know, is that I'm never going to ride my road glide the same way I ride my sons ZZR 600 so when I'm looking to buy, how a tire performs on the track is not going to matter to me. I want the highest mileage tire that has good wet weather performance without sacrificing ride comfort too much. So, all that being said, What tire do you ride now and why?

Gas Man
11-27-2013, 06:41 PM
I'm just saying. I have heard lots of better about other brands over the stock dunlops.

RedneckMedic
11-29-2013, 12:33 AM
I really don't like the stickers too much. I just don't have that good tight grip to the road feeling like I did when I rode my buddies SG with the avons that much I know. I had metzlers on the shadow but that was a different style of bike.

I say go dark side with it man!!!!!!

Car tire FTW!!!