PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Break / Question

Klimoman
11-11-2013, 11:51 AM
I am off work today (Thanks to all that have served and continue to serve BTW so I can enjoy my freedom)

So I need to do a little running around, maybe 30 miles worth. I look at weather.com and it says it is suppose to rain around 1 PM in my area, so I decide I am going to take the Harley.

I had to stop by a house to give them some money for a travel baseball sweatshirt I bought for my son. I go to leave and I am heading down a street doing 25 MPH and when I go to shift up it felt like it shifted really easy, so I look down and the rear shift lever is dangling off the bike. I come to a stop and throw the lever in the tour pack and continue on. I felt very fortunate this happened doing 25 mph and that I noticed it because I was heading towards the highway next, which I am sure I would have lost the lever.

The question I have is, how often do you guys check your bike's nuts and bolts? I wash my bike a lot, not because I am a clean freak, but because when you wash your bike you look at ALL parts of the bike and will notice any issues sooner. (I will always check the shifter levers now..LOL)

P.S. It rained at 10:30 AM, so the damn weather man was wrong, but it helped "clean" my bike...LOL

junkyardjon
11-11-2013, 03:35 PM
Every spring or when something falls off

Mudpuppy
11-11-2013, 03:51 PM
It's a Harley so stuff like that is typical - that's what Gasman tells me

Gas Man
11-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Only loctite the bolts you don't want to loose.

With that in mind and I like my bolts, I don't bother with it much unless I'm touching it. Now when I owned a rigid mounted chopper that was a different story, it was after every ride. :lol:

That being said, even just a loose bolt shouldn't cause it to fall off, because there is a path in the spline gear where the bolts passes through to keep it on. I would check the bushings on the shifter and perhaps the spline gear itself. A quick service and tight of all of that would put you in a much better place. I have repaired a few of these over the years.

Ultra AL
11-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Only loctite the bolts you don't want to loose.

With that in mind and I like my bolts, I don't bother with it much unless I'm touching it. Now when I owned a rigid mounted chopper that was a different story, it was after every ride. :lol:

That being said, even just a loose bolt shouldn't cause it to fall off, because there is a path in the spline gear where the bolts passes through to keep it on. I would check the bushings on the shifter and perhaps the spline gear itself. A quick service and tight of all of that would put you in a much better place. I have repaired a few of these over the years.

^ This!

RedneckMedic
11-11-2013, 11:33 PM
Your a big guy you may have actually broke the splines on it hitting the shifter hard, Ive heard of that problem before. If you need a spare shifter are let me know I have one because I took mine off for the spare foot room.

Gas Man
11-12-2013, 08:53 AM
Yeah a lot of guys are pretty hard on these and mess them up easily.

Klimoman
11-12-2013, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the offer RedneckMedic. I looked at the splines, they looked ok to me. I tightened it back up and will monitor to see if it becomes loose quickly. If so I will take you up on your offer. Thanks!

Gas Man
11-12-2013, 08:51 PM
You can buy the "rebuild" kit for pretty cheap.