PDA

View Full Version : WANTED roadglide windshields

sfcusaret2004
10-22-2013, 02:21 PM
looking for FLTRU winshields. preferably used HD and/or aftermarket. If you need a new home for your old screen hit me up.

RedneckMedic
10-22-2013, 10:23 PM
What size are you looking for?

Kosher
10-22-2013, 11:24 PM
I think I have a stock FLTRU one lying around...

owl
10-23-2013, 09:14 AM
I have the OEM windshield that was on my 2011 Road GlideUltra

Kosher
11-24-2013, 08:14 PM
looking for FLTRU winshields. preferably used HD and/or aftermarket. If you need a new home for your old screen hit me up.

Bump, yo - I have a stock FLTRU windshield... you asked!

sfcusaret2004
11-25-2013, 08:00 PM

So I tried the mod I found on roadglide.com because the OEM mount is whack. The only problem with the mod is that the holes have to be drilled about 3/4 to and inch outboard of the OEM mounting points due to the extended hardware. I really like being able to change windshields without having to remove the outer fairing, but it means i have to trim the windshield and redrill 'em to fit. If anyone is willing to donate their old 16" or larger windscreens great! if not, perhaps a reasonable arrangement can be made. if you have any questions, pm me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Kosher
11-25-2013, 08:48 PM
So I tried the mod I found on roadglide.com because the OEM mount is whack. The only problem with the mod is that the holes have to be drilled about 3/4 to and inch outboard of the OEM mounting points due to the extended hardware. I really like being able to change windshields without having to remove the outer fairing, but it means i have to trim the windshield and redrill 'em to fit. If anyone is willing to donate their old 16" or larger windscreens great! if not, perhaps a reasonable arrangement can be made. if you have any questions, pm me and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Stock shields on the Road Glide Ultra are 14", not interested?

sfcusaret2004
11-25-2013, 09:11 PM
Stock shields on the Road Glide Ultra are 14", not interested?

yea, I know, only problem is they have "slots" at the outside mounting points and in order to get them to fit the mounting points have to be tapered sideways, toward the outside edge of the windshield, thereby requiring a really biga$$ washer to cover the slot/hole. in order to prevent this the windshield needs to be trimmed at least an inch to get rid of the OEM mounting ""slots" and redrilled in the appropriate position. this then lowers them to 12" more or less. Since I'm 6'2'', this puts my melon square in the slipstream and really circumvents the whole purpose of the windshield. Now I don't mind a little wind in the face, I just don't want to be blown away.

RedneckMedic
11-25-2013, 11:03 PM
Why do you take off the fairing to change a shield. The easiest way to do it is to put the screw and well nut on the shield just finger tight and then pop into the holes on the fairing and finish tightening. You dont want to re use the well nuts more than a few shield changes because they wont want to go back to there original shape after being in the fairing for a bit. They are cheap so having an extra set on hand is nice.

Kosher
11-25-2013, 11:13 PM
Why do you take off the fairing to change a shield. The easiest way to do it is to put the screw and well nut on the shield just finger tight and then pop into the holes on the fairing and finish tightening. You dont want to re use the well nuts more than a few shield changes because they wont want to go back to there original shape after being in the fairing for a bit. They are cheap so having an extra set on hand is nice.

I could be wrong, but I think he's going for this mod: http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=16716

sfcusaret2004
11-25-2013, 11:27 PM

Kosher's right. I did do the http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=16716 (http://www.roadglide.org/showthread.php?t=16716) mod because the well nuts SUCK. They started pulling out of the faring at less than 100 miles on the bike! I took it to the stealership, they replaced all 5 ($35.00, covered under warranty) and they were pulling out again at less than 1000 miles. If that's the best the motor company can do, screw 'em. Besides, I like the look of the acorn nuts and no rubber trim, as well as the reduced negative pressure behind the wind screen.

Gas Man
11-26-2013, 12:15 AM
Maybe a custom windshield is on the docket.

http://www.twowheelmichigan.com/showthread.php?4518-Windshields-by-LowRyder-Bill-Sanchez

sfcusaret2004
11-26-2013, 11:40 AM
I saw your post Chris, Think I'm gonna pick his brain sometime this winter. Thanks for the link.