PDA

View Full Version : I need some Pro's and Con's

Firetaz419
10-05-2013, 08:14 PM
So after thinking about it long and hard... I've decided to start looking at Harley's and get rid of the Ninja.

I'm looking at Harley Street Glides but I need some pointers. I'd buy it used if anything, but before i do i would like to hear some pro's and con's on them. Anything will help!

RedneckMedic
10-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Go ride one and see if it is for you. I love all styles of bikes and would say if you can swing it keep both. If your serious about looking I would look for an 09 or later with the new frame. If you go to a 10 you can get the 103 but I wouldn't stress between the two. The key is just finding a good deal since people think these bikes are made out of solid gold.

I'm a big fan of the harley touring bikes but I ride a lot of bikes before O made my decision. Motorcity harley does rentals and you can get a bike for a it 150 for 24 hours. Or just walk into a dealer with full riding gear and say you want to try one out and they'll let you take one for a short ride. However Im biased towards the road glides!

Firetaz419
10-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Thanks bud! ill take a look!

Ultra AL
10-05-2013, 09:08 PM
I started out with the SuperGlide, and moved up to the bagger getting the Ultra in August. The StreetGlide and the Ultra are very similar bikes. I am ecstatic over the ride of the bagger. It's incredibly comfortable. I don't think you'll regret it if you get a StreetGlide!

Gas Man
10-06-2013, 08:18 AM
I'm with medic besides are difference on fairing choice. Here's a few tips.

07 & older = old frame and 5 gal gas tank
08 while they still have the older frame they got the fly by wire throttle, 6 gal tank, and possibility for abs.
09 - 10 new frame, wider rear wheel, bigger wheels, better suspension
10- cats came along
10-11 the 103 was an option
12-13 the 103 was standard. However the 103 with cats is really not faster. It's debatable on the 103 being much stronger.

The he best parts about used is that they usually come with the "standards"; exhaust, stage 1, and chrome/aftermarket doodads.

Consider an ultra if you think you will do road trips, it is easier and cheaper to detach than to add. Look at my bike for example.

Caveman
10-06-2013, 08:27 AM
I'm with Gas, if touring and big trips is an option go with the ultra and detach. Streatglide look with more storage options and lower fairings. If you get a newer bike with the cat, cut that shit off and put on a big sucker intake and you have basically done the stage 1. Just need a dyno to tuner her in real nice. E-Glides are a great bike are a bit more compact. R-Glides are the same as the E-glide but a bit more space if you have a large frame or big gorilla arms like Redneck Medic your perfectly comfortable.
I also believe the fly-by-wire also came on the 07 and later I could be wrong but I think the 07 was the first year for that.

Thruxtonbill
10-06-2013, 09:44 AM
MMM kool aid.

Kosher
10-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Ahem. If you really want to tour, this thing eats miles. Fixed faring means a very light and nimble front end compared to batwings.

Do yourself a favor and also ride a Road Glide. And yes Bill, we are zombie Harley riders, I do grant you that we live in an echo chamber. :)

Whats not to like? And it looks and rides even better with the tour pak off. I think. LOL

http://keithhu.smugmug.com/Motorcycle/2013-FLTRU/i-dwW5QSw/0/X3/Agitators-X3.jpg

Firetaz419
10-06-2013, 11:41 AM
appreciate all the help guys! I was talking to Owl yesterday on the ride, I love the road glide, EXCEPT for that front fairing... i think its hideous. anyone know of any way to take the road glide, take the front fairing off and replace it with a street glide fairing?? :D

I think its just going to come down to the fact of me going and riding one. Looks wise i'm absolutely in love with how the street glide looks.

Going back to do more research

Thanks again!

Kosher
10-06-2013, 11:53 AM
appreciate all the help guys! I was talking to Owl yesterday on the ride, I love the road glide, EXCEPT for that front fairing... i think its hideous. anyone know of any way to take the road glide, take the front fairing off and replace it with a street glide fairing?? :D

I think its just going to come down to the fact of me going and riding one. Looks wise i'm absolutely in love with how the street glide looks.

Going back to do more research

Thanks again!

So, you hatin' on my bike? :)

We fugly riders are increasing in numbers on this site, we're going to form a posse.

I used to say that about Road Glides too, now I own one. And I think its pretty killer.

Firetaz419
10-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Haha nope not hatin' on your bike, just the fugly front fairing. It makes the bike look like its from 190shit :) I still have sportbikes in my blood its hard enough thinking about making the transfer to a Harley, I can't buy a bike that looks OLD :P

Firetaz419
10-06-2013, 12:26 PM
I was also pondering the idea of a Kawasaki Vulcanhttp://uncrate.com/p/2011/05/kawasaki-vulcan-vaquero-xl.jpg

hmmmm

Ultra AL
10-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Justin, you need to just ride the StreetGlide. You'll absolutely love it.

Caveman
10-06-2013, 04:35 PM
Ahem. If you really want to tour, this thing eats miles. Fixed faring means a very light and nimble front end compared to batwings.

Do yourself a favor and also ride a Road Glide. And yes Bill, we are zombie Harley riders, I do grant you that we live in an echo chamber. :)

Whats not to like? And it looks and rides even better with the tour pak off. I think. LOL

How would you know? The way I hear it you have hardly ever taken it off. :lmao:

anyone know of any way to take the road glide, take the front fairing off and replace it with a street glide fairing?? :D

Thanks again!

Well, if you take the RG fairing off and put on a SG or EG fairing then you have the ElectraGlide. They are the same bike from the neck back. The RG just has and extra bolt on piece that is part of the mounting system for the Shark fairing, where as, the Batwing fairing mounts to the Steering system.

Haha nope not hatin' on your bike, just the fugly front fairing. It makes the bike look like its from 190shit :) I still have sportbikes in my blood its hard enough thinking about making the transfer to a Harley, I can't buy a bike that looks OLD :P

Actually the RG fairing is sort of like the sportbike fairings just stretched and made larger to deflect more wind and provide more space to install shit in. As for the Vulcan, well, Gas's BIL and a friend of mine likes his except for some proprietary radio problems and even though its water cooled he says he still roasts balls on it.

junkyardjon
10-06-2013, 06:35 PM
Goldwing......

Gas Man
10-06-2013, 09:40 PM
For the money you are better off spending a little extra coin and getting an HD over the Kaw. The build quality isn't there on the Kaw, and it is missing TONS of extras for that less sticker price. Plus it is truly hotter than the HD, even though it's water cooled. Add in virtually NO aftermarket support, you won't be happy with it.

The RG grows on you, most think the same as you till you see them around more.

Bagger Dave
10-06-2013, 09:47 PM
Take a few different style bikes for a ride and see what ya like the best.....
as everyone else said...if you plan on doing long trips...the Ultra classics or Limited's are the way to go! then when ya do the detachable Tour Pack....Bam! there is your Street Glide!
I got mt 2011 Ultra Limited last Oct. did the detachable tour pack...and a bunch of other stuff...and love it! you can look in my thread...starts from the day I got it...right up to now with the mod's...http://www.twowheelmichigan.com/showthread.php?4040-Finally-got-my-new-scoot!!&highlight=finally+scoot and still not done :lol: