PDA

View Full Version : Bob is the man

apex factor
09-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Hey all,

I know I haven't been on much, but I do still lurk. I also know Bob is probably never on this site but whatever I'll write this little message since this was his old forum.

I was on my way to a camping trip with the girl and the family. Decided to take the bobber; previous to the trip I had been riding the bike all week to work and everything seemed fine. Day of the trip I checked all fluids, kicked the tires, checked pressure etc. Mind you we are only travelling to toledo, ohio.

On the way down things were fine, I got to the section on I-75 south where you have to merge to stay on to I-75; I went to hit my front brakes when all of a sudden the lever went straight to the handle with no pressure. Damn. No brakes. I quickly downshifted to scrub off most of the speed and then used my mechanical rear brake. I got off on the next exit (i think rosa parks). Checked out the situation at the nearest gas station only to find my brake line kinked towards the tire and the tire wore a hole into the rubber hose. I nursed the bike out of there and back on to the freeway (the girl did not want to stay where we were any longer) I believe I go to the trenton exit or so and pulled off into a service station/gas station. Asked if they had any hose and they sent me 2 miles down the road to an o'riley.

I was at the o'riley for a long f'n time. One of the employees helped me out by letting me borrow some tools and gave me an extra hand. The best we came up with was a hose on top of the hose and some clamps. While struggling to figure out how to build brake pressure I was greeted by a smiling face of a passerby sitting in a car; it was Bob.

Bob claims he saw my bike from the road but thought I had sold it so he drove on. He decided it would kill him if he passed on by and didn't stop to see if it was me. Unlucky for him he got roped into helping me fix the bike, lucky for me though :). I got the bike to Bob's house where we worked on it for hours. We ended up piecing the hose together with a vacuum barb and we had air trapped somewhere in between the master and the short hose going to the front caliper.

After we patched it up I left Bob's and made it to the campground with no issues. On the way home, my girl decided to ride in a car and I made it home with no problems.

Since then, I replaced the stock line with a braided stainless steel one. I also now visually keep any eye on my brake line.

I can't thank Bob enough!

----

Cliff notes: went on a trip, lost brakes, Bob found me, fixed brakes, end of story.

and because everyone likes photos here is a photo from a hocking hills trip this year:

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/999653_10103628162465154_2143810381_n.jpg

-Matt

Kosher
09-19-2013, 01:53 PM
that is a sharp bike, and you are lucky in many ways - first, I think stopping on Rosa Parks was riskier than losing your brakes!

apex factor
09-19-2013, 01:55 PM
thank you :)

lol, true.

Bagger Dave
09-19-2013, 02:19 PM
Coolio! :rockwoot:

Mudpuppy
09-19-2013, 03:14 PM
shitty that your brakes went but great story and love the cliff notes

apex factor
09-19-2013, 03:29 PM
haha thanks!

Gas Man
09-19-2013, 06:03 PM
That is good. WTG Bob.

Also, that is my area. I'm off exit 29 and you could always call me.

apex factor
09-20-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks! I'll have to keep that in mind :)

RedneckMedic
09-21-2013, 10:11 PM
Awesome fix and good looking bike. You should hang out more often Im still a huge fan of bobbers.

I and for the record rosa parks and 75 your fine lol. Lots worse areas you can be.

apex factor
09-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Awesome fix and good looking bike. You should hang out more often Im still a huge fan of bobbers.

I and for the record rosa parks and 75 your fine lol. Lots worse areas you can be.

Thanks! Yeah I didn't feel threatened.