PDA

View Full Version : Quantico

leebo
08-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Well we got back from Va late wednesday.We spent all day Monday @ the marine base in quantico with my son as tourguide he is a msgt in the provost marshalls office,what a great day.The biggest impression I got from that visit was what a bunch of nice guys,Everyone to a man polite and courteous.I was very proud.The second day we toured the manassas battleground(aka bullrun)was very moving.the first 3 pix are of quantico the next are of manassas.the bikes are from the marines parking lots those guys ride,saw lots o bikes there.the farm house is where some of the fighting occured.The cannons are the rebel gun positions.couple years we are goin back for gettysburg.interesting note the hotel we stayed at was the road the union forces took for their withdrawal.all in all great vacation..

Kosher
08-30-2013, 05:35 PM
Its a great area, and Quantico has a lot of history. I used to live in northern Virginia for about 15 years, in fact I've had plenty of business meetings there.

Manassas is amazing, and Virginia in general has some incredible civil war sites.

Not very far south of Quantico is a ton of amazing riding...

leebo
08-30-2013, 11:25 PM
Its a great area, and Quantico has a lot of history. I used to live in northern Virginia for about 15 years, in fact I've had plenty of business meetings there.Manassas is amazing, and Virginia in general has some incredible civil war sites.Not very far south of Quantico is a ton of amazing riding...Yea lots of bikes everywhere.As we drove out of the mountains it was cloudy and raining and it was awesome looking

Thruxtonbill
08-31-2013, 06:19 AM
OOORAH! Fantastic. Thanks for posting this.

Gas Man
08-31-2013, 10:40 AM
Too cool!!!

Ultra AL
08-31-2013, 11:18 AM
Never been in that area. Went to DC as a kid for a school trip, but didn't get to check out VA at all. Looks like its on my bucket list.

Moesride
08-31-2013, 03:49 PM
That's great Lee......I know your a proud papa...lol

leebo
08-31-2013, 05:14 PM
That's great Lee......I know your a proud papa...lol Yes I am.Hes done well in the core.I just cant say enuff how impressed i am by those young men.Cant wait to go back.

Thruxtonbill
08-31-2013, 07:08 PM
Visit Parris Island if you can, you can taste the history.

Caveman
08-31-2013, 11:14 PM
Bill you a Marine?

Thruxtonbill
09-01-2013, 05:52 AM
Bill you a Marine?

Yes sir.

Caveman
09-01-2013, 10:11 AM
Didn't want to ask if you "were" a Marine. I know that response, "once a Marine, always a Marine." One of my old supervisors is a Marine. He has a decal on his cycle that says, "Not as Lean, Not as Mean, STILL a Marine." He is as pasionate about his time as a Marine as I am for my time as a Soldier.

Back on topic of the thread, I went to Gettysburg when I was about 8-10 y/o, not sure when exactly, but my Uncle Gary used to live in WV and took us around as he was a big time Civil War buff. He loved taking us around the battle grounds and right in front of me kicked a little dirt over and picked up a bullet or something and tossed it to me. Little did I know, what I was holding, was an actual piece of history that really changed our country. Those sights in some places were hard to picture at that age of what the real significance was. As I got older I wanted to go back and see my Uncle but he ended up moving back to Michigan and I haven't been back to the area since. Perhaps I should bone up on my history and take my kids there and show them.
Its hard to believe how far we have come from those days. Those men that died on that field would be utterly wrought with anger and hatred for what our government has done to us as a nation.

Kosher
09-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Gettysburg is truly amazing.

leebo
09-01-2013, 10:43 AM
As we were driving around the base we saw marine1 practicing takeoffs and landings we pulled over and took a pic.2 marine guards came running out and made us delete the pic.even those guys were polite and courteous.It was very cool tho.