PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a new (used) bike. Need some help with a few items.

Dagnabit
08-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Ok, so I havent been on the forum much because I sold my 883r back in the winter. Loved the bike, but it was just too underpowered for my big behind. Was going to pick something up in the spring but my mom suddenly got sick in april and passed in June. With everything going on I figured id just let this season pass and maybe look in the winter or early spring next year for a new ride. But...you know how it goes...you get bored, you surf the used ads on craigslist, you figure what the heck it cant hurt to maybe go take a look. I found a 2004 xl1200 roadster for sale out in the tecumseh area. 680 original miles, so i went out with a buddy to look at it. Looked clean, engine ran good with no stuttering or spitting (unlike my 06), everything worked, tires showed no signs of dry rot and no flat spots when i rode it so i bought it. The original owner told me he changed the battery, plugs and oil last year as he tried selling it then, but wasnt trying too hard because he couldnt decide if he really wanted to get rid of it or not. I checked the oil before i started and it looked good, so I figured id drive it home and then the next morning drop off it at biker bobs to get the oil and trans fluid changed and get a complete check out. Its almost due for its 1000 mile service anyhow, and since it hasnt been rode much I figured id let the service techs do the initial check out. Well it rode fine for the 40 mile trip home but when i pulled it in the driveway i had some smoke coming from the front exhaust and could smell some burning oil. The air cleaner intake and the oil reservoir had a film of oil on it. My guess was he put too much oil in the reservoir when he changed it and since these bikes are know for blowing oil when overfilled i didnt think much of it. So tuesday i dropped it off at biker bobs and i got a call later in the day that the bike looked good except I had a leaking rocker gasket, so Im having them fix it. Im guessing running the bike home (probably the farthest trip its ever been on) with a bit too much oil might have caused it. Anyhow, Ive got a few questions on what I should be doing since the bike sat as long as it did and probably hasnt even had a real break in period yet. The dealer is putting in fresh synthetic oil and transmission fluid in before i pick it up.

How many miles should i put on it before i change out the oil and trans fluid again? And does it matter switching it to synthetic fluids at this point since the original oil sat in it for so long? And finally, should i be concerned about the tires simply due to the age? Theres no cracking in the rubber, and I didnt feel any flat spots driving it but they are 9 years old. Appreciate any help guys.

Pics to get posted soon. Hopefully its ready to get picked up tomorrow.

junkyardjon
08-15-2013, 12:23 AM
Fuck it, just ride it.
If tires look good, run them. If concerned, change them.

Gas Man
08-15-2013, 01:33 AM
We can a service here if you want. I sell amsoil here so that's not issue. But I would run regular in it for a while to make sure it's all broke in. I would do the oil again at 5k on the odo.

Just keep an eye on the tires. Due to their age, they may wear out faster than normal.

Gasket leaks can be expected due to age... kinda like me and my old mustang I just bought. Had to do a water pump after a 100 miles into it... due to age.

Dagnabit
08-15-2013, 02:06 AM
Thanks Gas. I think the dealer has already put the synthetic oil in it though so im probably just going to have to live with it. Would you suggest draining it out in a few hundred miles and switching back to regular for the next couple thousand. Didnt even think when i told them to do it, as i always just ran synthetic in the old bike. Then i remembered something about not using synthetic on an unbroken in motor. ah well.

Mad Dog
08-15-2013, 08:33 AM
At 700 miles on petroleum based oil you should be fine on the break in. Next service hit up Gas Man and switch to Amsoil. Can't beat that stuff. Sounds like you got a great deal. Enjoy........

Mudpuppy
08-15-2013, 10:47 AM
Sorry to hear about your Mom. Glad to hear you are back on 2. Like Gas said - fuck it, ride it. Finish out the season and then tear it apart over winter, engine flush, amsoil, tires, brake fluid, etc.

Dagnabit
08-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Ill do another fluid change before next season . Everything just got changed out so I should be good for the rest of the year. Brake fluid got changed out as the master cylinder had a recall on it that was never performed. Kinda surprised they took care of that no charge considering the age of the bike. Anyhow, just picked it up and did a quick 25 miles. Very happy with it and looking forward to getting out on a few rides with everyone before the seasons over. Pics posted below.

leebo
08-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Thats a nice lookin ride.

WILEY
08-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Modern chrome moly rings seat up quick. You can run synthetic with no worries.

sprink
08-15-2013, 07:52 PM
That looks like my bike when I bought it! I love my "R". They fixed a few things for 05 and 06, but my 04 has been pretty good bike. Valve guides went bad less than 30,000 miles, but that was a good excuse to upgrade the motor!

Dagnabit
08-15-2013, 10:53 PM
I was just reading up on the xl forums about issues with the valve stem seals. Saw a few of your posts on there about that Sprink. Ill just have to deal with it if it happens Thankfully, it doesnt look like the whole motor has to be torn down to fix it.

Gas Man
08-16-2013, 01:32 AM
Yeah as others said, you'll be fine.

Denimblack
08-16-2013, 07:39 PM
Congrats on the find, maybe well will see ya out on a sat morning ride or TWC sometime soon.

Dagnabit
08-17-2013, 12:33 AM
Might try to go out tomorrow morning, ive been working all day cleaning up the bike. Guy had it stored indoors but doesnt look like he washed or took care of it much. Been spending the day polishing aluminium and chrome.

detdrbuzzard
08-17-2013, 11:15 PM
keep an eye on those tires , also the tires may look good but loose traction, a glazed condition but power sliding is fun!

Ultra AL
08-17-2013, 11:53 PM
Glad I got to see that sweet ride of yours today Dagnabit! Here's a shot of you and your bike from today's ride!

http://i485.photobucket.com/albums/rr215/chboxer/72F3DB00-8625-463F-8C98-F80993869F14-19230-00000AD3DFD39D01.jpg (http://s485.photobucket.com/user/chboxer/media/72F3DB00-8625-463F-8C98-F80993869F14-19230-00000AD3DFD39D01.jpg.html)

Dagnabit
08-18-2013, 09:12 AM
Thanks for having me along, I enjoyed meeting everyone and finally getting back on the road this year.

Moesride
08-18-2013, 11:12 AM
Sharp! Love the color.

Bagger Dave
08-18-2013, 11:15 AM
Sweet! good find :rockout: