PDA

View Full Version : Waterproofing/sealing the batwing fairing

derf
08-05-2013, 11:10 PM
My 99 EGC is a teenager, and the last time I had the fairing off I noticed that the foam that lines the windshield is pretty old and worn. I have some weather stripping for my house left over that I was thinking about using to seal the fairing where it meets the windshield.

Is this necessary? How susceptible is the electronics behind the fairing to water damage?

I have a tach that tends to jump around on its own from time to time and throw an error code (for the tach). I notice it happens more often after having ridden in the rain...

Mudpuppy
08-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Did you see the thread on the neverwet? Might want to try some of that - I think 2 can kit is like $20 from home depot or lowes or local hardware

Mudpuppy
08-06-2013, 09:36 AM
http://www.twowheelmichigan.com/showthread.php?5346-Neverwet

Caveman
08-06-2013, 10:15 AM
Derf,

I too have had water issues in the front fairing of my Ultra. I purchased a 200' roll of stripping and lined the windshield with it. There should be some rubber seal in front that goes between the fairing trim and the windshield. Make sure thats still there.
The electronics are relatively protected from water in the fairing but they aren't really marine grade, they still need to be kept dry. If you are experiencing tach jumping like that I would ask the dealer for some tech assistance there or buy a used on the ebays or craigslists. Or you could go get some of that thick clear vinyl that some stereos come with to protect from water. Should be the thick stuff about 30 mil. Make a small template off the inside of the inner fairing above the guages and have it drape over the end of the radio. secure it in place with some double side tape or a little apoxy and then when your inside just flip it up to do work. Just don't wrap it all the way around and secure on bottom or sides as this could do nothing more that trap moisture on inside of vinyl and then your effed either way.