PDA

View Full Version : Lake Superior Circle Tour

Guitargod
07-23-2013, 05:20 PM
We are in the early stages of planning a week next year to ride around Lake Superior. We plan on having at least 1 support vehicle. Some are trailering up to Sault St. Marie and riding from there, some are riding the whole time. We will obviously take in some local attractions along the way. You can't go to Lake Superior without fishing at least once, can you? And I'm not even a fisherman :boobies: Details to come but I like to plan well in advance so people can lock up vacation time, make other arrangements, etc. I do know it will be in the summer. It can get a little chilly up there most other times of the year. I would love to get a ton of bikes up there so inbox me if you're interested.

Gas Man
07-23-2013, 10:33 PM
Sounds great... I've heard that is a great ride. The canada side is suppose to be amazing!!!

bigblue13
07-24-2013, 04:08 AM
Sounds Fun keep me posted

Chain
07-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Funny you mention that, I was just yesterday mapping that out... I have a hard time going to Kanada anymore... I like my freedoms here... but just might do the same thing. 1050 miles or there abouts... would be a good ride, I know my Doc and his Beamer buds do it every year, says almost every year he gets a ticket for 70+... guess there are some good roads.

Guitargod
07-24-2013, 05:22 PM
I have heard crossing the bridge to the U.P. can be interesting to say the least, especially on a bike. Has anyone ever crossed it before on 2 wheels? Pictures of semis being blown over doesn't help. Maybe I'll take a ferry :o)

Gas Man
07-24-2013, 11:01 PM
Sportster Paul and Sprink have done this a few times I believe.

sprink
07-25-2013, 05:59 AM
Paul has, I have only done Lake Erie a few times.

Gas Man
07-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Well I thought you two were peas in a pod.

SportstersPaul
07-26-2013, 01:14 AM
A lake Superior loop would be great, keep the info coming. Oh, and the "Big Mack" can be a challange for some with the open grating and gusty winds, not to be taken lightly.

Guitargod
07-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Does anyone know if there is a ferry from the lower to upper peninsula without going to Mackinac Island first?

Gas Man
07-28-2013, 11:14 PM
IDK, but why?

SportstersPaul
07-29-2013, 12:28 AM
Yes there is, or was not long ago.

Guitargod
07-29-2013, 03:41 AM
Some riders are a little concerned about crossing the bridge on the bike. They see the stories of cars being flipped over and it makes them a little nervous. Can't say I blame them. Taking a ferry would be kinda cool anyway. At least 1 way.

Gas Man
07-29-2013, 02:21 PM
Yeah I kinda thought that Guitar... but I have crossed it a dozen times on my bike without any issues...

Guitargod
07-29-2013, 05:59 PM
Thanks. I will pass on the word. Maybe plan on crossing it but if it's too bad when we get there, we'll catch the ferry. I'll be in nooooooooooooooooooo hurry :rockwoot:

deep purple
07-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Ridden across the mighty mac several times on scooters. The paved lanes are the best for me. I have ridden the length of it on the grated metal before also, just feels a little weird at first. I am sure you will do fine. As a side note there is a guy that lives here in town that tells me they will ride your bike across the bridge for you and take you across in a windowless van for a fee.

Caveman
07-30-2013, 07:59 AM
When you ride across the Mac you need to just relax and let the bike do its thing. While on the grating it will do a shimmy and shake but you will be ok. Don't fight it, it will just tire you out and frustrate you. Just keep the bike on a relatively straight line and you will be fine. If your uncomfortable with that then ride the pavement. As for riding during windy conditions, they will tell you if its too windy for you to ride it or they will recommend you to ride next to a large vehicle to have them wind block for you. biggest thing to do though is to just relax.

Hawgrider
07-30-2013, 11:51 AM
I ride the grate EVERY time just to piss off my Ole Lady. Windy or not. I'm not talking 50+ mph winds Ive crossed several times with winds around 35 to 40mph take it slow Run the posted speed limit and just do it........ don't be a PUSSY.

Mudpuppy
07-30-2013, 12:50 PM
I ride the grate EVERY time just to piss off my Ole Lady. Windy or not. I'm not talking 50+ mph winds Ive crossed several times with winds around 35 to 40mph take it slow Run the posted speed limit and just do it........ don't be a PUSSY.

I like this advice

Gas Man
07-30-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm betting there is some fear of heights going on here.

Which is fine. That person won't be the first or the last to have that.

SportstersPaul
08-01-2013, 12:38 AM
Just an additional note; Don't plan on riding the outside, paved lane, cause if you do "Murph" will rear his ugly head and there will be construction or repairs of some type going on and you will be shifted to the grating! Just saying, seen it happen way to often. The grating is just like most other bridges in the state, so ride them for practice and to gain confidence if possible. Do NOT look down, cause you are WAY UP THERE, big freighters look like small toys in the bathtub! F.W.I.W. years back the Yugo that vaulted the guardrail in the heavy winds was my fiances best girlfriend, the operative word there is "was".

Chain
08-01-2013, 09:16 AM
^^^ That's NO lie. I bet we've rode over it 50 time the last 7 years the wife and I've been together, and I don't think maybe a handful of times we've been able to ride on the paved lane only. There suppose to have the painting wrapped up sometime this year. First time it's been fully stripped and repainted since it's build. Then in 2017 there going to start replacing the huge undercarriages (I don't recall what there called) That should be interesting! So chances of riding on the "cheese graders" are pretty high...

Fun fact! Highest recorded wind on the bridge?! 117 MPH!!!!!!!!! Incredible!

Mudpuppy
08-01-2013, 09:51 AM
I read somewhere that they never stop working on the bridge in warm months - it is a continuous process due to the size and by the time they are done painting they need to start over again. Every single time I have been on it (20 times or so) I have had to drive on the grates. Never rode over it on a bike. But I will someday.

Gas Man
08-01-2013, 10:31 AM
All good advice there and I heard too that its never done with repairs.