PDA

View Full Version : Lifting a Harley Davidson to remove wheels

Remo
07-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Well it's been a while since I have logged in/posted here. I have been busy with trying to finish school/looking for internships/trying to sell my Buell (which finally did sell :banana:)

Anyways I also purchased a tire machine a couple months back, a No-Mar Jr. Pro to be specific. I bought it with a buddy of mine who is pretty mechanically inclined and we have since gotten good with mounting and balancing tubeless sportbike tires. I have been doing some minor advertising (Craigslist, word of mouth, business cards, Facebook) and we have been getting a lot of calls about doing Harley Davidson tires and Honda Gold Wing tires. To this point we have just been turning that business away but I really hate having to refuse so much work. One major problem is that neither my buddy or I have any experience in dealing with Harley's, tubed tires or any other heavy weight cruiser type bikes. Sportbikes are fairly easy to lift and remove wheels from and we have variety of specialized stands to put the bikes on. However, it is not the same case for cruiser type bikes. I do have an ATV jack at home which I do believe is capable of lifting any Harley or Godwing (1500# lift cap).

So my question is do any of you have experience with lifting and removing your HD wheels? If so does anyone know a good lift point for Harleys and Honda Gold Wings? I have searched around a little online (Google, YouTube) and haven't really found anything :idk: At this point we are still not confident with taking on tubed tires yet but we would like to do tubeless cruiser tires which most of the people that have been calling us have. I am really just wanting to know how to go about lifting the bikes.

Mudpuppy
07-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Dude you ride an R1 so you can do whatever you want in my book. Don't need any excuses. Potato sack people like you mean it and walk away. Chris likes it when you do that.

I have no idea about your question and really have absolutely nothing to contribute here - just passing through.

RedneckMedic
07-12-2013, 04:35 PM
The whole underside of the bike is a good lift point on a harley. The only thing you have to watch for is if there is a crossover pipe for dual pipes. Other than that its just a feel thing to have the weight balanced so your not tipping to one side or front or back.

If you can do the sport bike tires you can do the harley tubeless tires as well.

Gas Man
07-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Yeah since the HD frame is a flat bottom, just use your ATV jack across the frame tubes and push/lift up. It's nothing fancy.

However, there are a few tips you MUST know.

The biggest one.

When doing a front wheel. Use a screw driver in the axle end and torque the axle nut with the pinch bolts on the fork LOOSE! This ensures the axle nut is torqued properly and it centers the rim between the forks. Then tighten the pinch bolts.

Oh and enjoy the rear adjusters on the FLH (big bagger) bikes.

Remo
07-15-2013, 09:31 AM
Good to know, I guess I will just have to try one and see!

Gas Man
07-15-2013, 11:11 AM
Come on over to my house and we'll do one together... or two or three... :lol:

Remo
07-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Next time you do one I will probably ride over and have a look

Gas Man
07-15-2013, 11:35 PM
It's so easy even a caveman could do it... maybe not our caveman named sean but a regular caveman could. :lol:

Caveman
07-17-2013, 03:29 AM
It's so easy even a caveman could do it... maybe not our caveman named sean but a regular caveman could. :lol:

:fu2:

Mad Dog
07-17-2013, 06:30 AM
Hey I Liked Those Commercials.