PDA

View Full Version : got caught in the rain

speedfreak
07-10-2013, 10:04 AM
so i was in hasselt last night on my 80xs850 left just as the storm hit she got me home. longest ride of my life lol only had a t on thank god i had a full face helmet. faster i went the better the bike handled anything under 60 and i could feel the puddles that were building up on the road .it was nerve racking for the first mile or two then the adrenalin kicked in from at the large droplets of rain peppering my chest. overall it was great ride the bike ran great and i have new found confidence in my bike and myself . :bunny:

Gas Man
07-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Oh boy... been there before. Once you figure it out, you won't mind it so much. I hear ya on the speed. I've done 80 on the highway in some heavy rain... just mind the highway bends and your lane changes.

Hawgrider
07-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Come on Guys 80 in heavy rain ........ your just asking for trouble. First of all if it is actually heavy rain visibility is a major issue. Then Cages who are doing 80 are also a major issue. Then Hydroplaning ....yeah SLOW THE FUCK DOWN!

Gas Man
07-10-2013, 01:22 PM
I was on the turnpike and wasn't having any issues... I keep good tires and adjust my speed and angle upon any corners or turns or lane changes... it was smooth and straight.

speedfreak
07-10-2013, 01:43 PM
I was on the turnpike and wasn't having any issues... I keep good tires and adjust my speed and angle upon any corners or turns or lane changes... it was smooth and straight.
nice i was on i69 heading toward 127 my options were haul ass and stay away from all the mist off the cars .or sit behind them were i couldn't see anything or get up and moving were my shield wasn't fogging up i picked being able to see.

Gas Man
07-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Yeah, the car tire spray is usually worse than the actual weather. This stands true when you're in a car or on a bike.

Hawgrider
07-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Yeah, the car tire spray is usually worse than the actual weather. This stands true when you're in a car or on a bike.Ok so tell the truth ...... you haven't actually rode in a real rain storm have you.:coffee: You guys are making it too easy for me today.

speedfreak
07-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Ok so tell the truth ...... you haven't actually rode in a real rain storm have you.:coffee: You guys are making it too easy for me today.

lol it was raining cats and dogs my friend it was a full blown storm

Gas Man
07-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Ok so tell the truth ...... you haven't actually rode in a real rain storm have you.:coffee: You guys are making it too easy for me today.

:lol: Hell my wife has rode in a full blown storm... she was not too happy about it either.

speedfreak
07-10-2013, 04:37 PM
the whole point im trying to make is that the bike handled better at the speed limit or higher in the rain anything under 60 i could feel the wet road she was keeping her lines on the road 60+ anything lower the wind was blowing me making me hydroplane ...i guess if you are not comfortable in the rain you will be the guy i pass sitting in that overpass or at speed way lol

Hawgrider
07-10-2013, 06:55 PM
the whole point im trying to make is that the bike handled better at the speed limit or higher in the rain anything under 60 i could feel the wet road she was keeping her lines on the road 60+ anything lower the wind was blowing me making me hydroplane ...i guess if you are not comfortable in the rain you will be the guy i pass sitting in that overpass or at speed way lol
I didnt get old by doing to many silly things. Common sense rules. Conditions can change in a heart beat and road rash sucks........ been there. A man only has so much luck use it wisely

Moesride
07-10-2013, 09:32 PM
Depends how hard the rain is......either slow down accordingly or pull over under somethin. That's what I do....

WILEY
07-11-2013, 07:44 AM
the whole point im trying to make is that the bike handled better at the speed limit or higher in the rain anything under 60 i could feel the wet road she was keeping her lines on the road 60+ anything lower the wind was blowing me making me hydroplane ...i guess if you are not comfortable in the rain you will be the guy i pass sitting in that overpass or at speed way lol What is your level of experience?(this is rhetorical, in your intro you already posted you have ridden dirt bikes and have always wanted to ride on the street) if you are comfortable ignoring the laws of physics and the words of folks who have been riding for a long time, you are destined to learn the hard way. If you want to learn the easy way, really take stock in what folks are trying to tell you.

Hawgrider
07-11-2013, 08:04 AM
What is your level of experience?(this is rhetorical, in your intro you already posted you have ridden dirt bikes and have always wanted to ride on the street) if you are comfortable ignoring the laws of physics and the words of folks who have been riding for a long time, you are destined to learn the hard way. If you want to learn the easy way, really take stock in what folks are trying to tell you. Newbies to the road will have to learn fast or eat road rash or worse. Its survival of the smartest every time you ride.

"i have new found confidence in my bike and myself"

Cocky get you killed. Respect and you ride another day.

WILEY
07-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Newbies to the road will have to learn fast or eat road rash or worse. Its survival of the smartest every time you ride.

"i have new found confidence in my bike and myself"

Cocky get you killed. Respect and you ride another day. Agree. Spent the last 28 years surviving the roads wet, dry, snow covered. Attribute my good fortune to listening to the greys that would teach me stuff. 2 ears , 2 eyes, 1 mouth.