PDA

View Full Version : TWC vs. Weather

Gas Man
06-20-2013, 12:11 AM
Due to last weekend's cancel and it turned out to be a nice day.

Should we make these rain or shine? We won't melt...

But is it worth the added risk?

Opinions?

Moesride
06-20-2013, 05:51 AM
I think rain or shine........maybe we get a little wet sometimes, no big deal.

Gas Man
06-20-2013, 08:11 AM
The only real deal with that idea is that we just end up with a dirty bike... I got rain gear!

owl
06-20-2013, 10:30 AM
The distance needed traveled and the severity of the rain willhave a direct effect on TWC for me. I say go with the plan and whomever shows uprides, those that don’t, don’t. Just be safe.
Jim

Gas Man
06-20-2013, 08:09 PM
Yeah I don't want people to miss out on something they want to go to.... but this is why we are talking about it.

Caveman
06-21-2013, 06:01 PM
I would say go Rain or Shine. but riding styles will just have to be adjusted. and if the meet up looks like it may be just too rough then call it off.

Gas Man
06-24-2013, 09:53 PM
I would say go Rain or Shine. but riding styles will just have to be adjusted. and if the meet up looks like it may be just too rough then call it off.

How about as long as their isn't severe warnings/watches up??

Gas Man
07-05-2013, 09:16 AM
Being we are discussing rain again for this sunday...

We said we won't cancel due to forecast... BUT

What do we say about actual rain in the morning?

Bagger Dave
07-05-2013, 09:24 AM
I don't mind if I get caught in it....but its kinda hard to open the garage door up and take off while its raining :lol:

Gas Man
07-05-2013, 09:43 AM
I don't mind if I get caught in it....but its kinda hard to open the garage door up and take off while its raining :lol:

That's the POV I'm hearing a bunch, and I understand that.

I will take off plenty of times in the rain like you describe for BIKE TRIPS. I have 500+ miles to beat down and a time schedule to make a trip... oh well, gear up and leave. But this isn't that...

I know owl, was the only other guys to man up and voice that the rain may affect his attendance.

I could tell everybody to ensure you give me your cell number and I could start a group text for it... does anybody know of a website that will allow control of a group text, where people could sign up for the group??

What say you?

Bagger Dave
07-05-2013, 09:49 AM
That's the POV I'm hearing a bunch, and I understand that.

I will take off plenty of times in the rain like you describe for BIKE TRIPS. I have 500+ miles to beat down and a time schedule to make a trip... oh well, gear up and leave.

I know owl, was the only other guys to man up and voice that the rain may affect his attendance.

I could tell everybody to ensure you give me your cell number and I could start a group text for it... does anybody know of a website that will allow control of a group text, where people could sign up for the group??

What say you?

I was talking about TWC rides :lol:
but when it comes to BIKE TRIPS....I'm down!!
I have rain gear and shit now....

Gas Man
07-05-2013, 09:51 AM
Seems like there are a few apps out there...

https://groupme.com/

Gas Man
07-05-2013, 09:54 AM
I was talking about TWC rides :lol:
but when it comes to BIKE TRIPS....I'm down!!
I have rain gear and shit now....

Yeah I get that... I'm just pointing out the difference between a bike trip and a weekly ride

Gas Man
07-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Here's my take...

1. We won't cancel for FORECAST
2. We WILL cancel for ALERTS (Severe weather WARNINGS or WATCHES)

Proposed addition

3. We WILL cancel if it is ACTUALLY RAINING 1 hour in advance of the agreed meeting time.

That makes 3 simple guidelines/rules for TWC. Then we have to figure out the best way to implement that "last minute" cancel. If that means just posting it here or some texting website the rider can join in for TWC ALERT.

Mudpuppy
07-05-2013, 10:44 AM
That's the way to do it El Cap-e-tan. That's how I ride - walk outside, is it raining?, no?, let's ride.

Gas Man
07-05-2013, 11:26 AM
That's the way to do it El Cap-e-tan. That's how I ride - walk outside, is it raining?, no?, let's ride.

I'm with ya... with the exception of severe weather alerts. Also, it could be raining at your house and not mine. So somebody has to make the call, and I fear that will end up on me.

Then as I said, notifying everybody... there are some apps/websites

https://groupme.com/
http://kik.com/
http://www.eventbrite.com/features/

And of course, in the TWC thread for that week!!

Thruxtonbill
07-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Think about the chrome.......THE CHROME!!!!

Thruxtonbill
07-05-2013, 04:36 PM
I'm such an ass.....

Gas Man
07-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Actually I'm more concerned about the safety!